Adding 3 Point Seat Belt Mount

-

rymanrph

Reaction score
I don't have any seat belts in my '68 notch, so I obviously need to order replacements. My car doesn't have the roof mount for the 3 point harness (that I can tell so far; I haven't removed the headliner). I've seen some aftermarket mounts such as these:

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/seat...etractable-lap-shoulder/m.products/25/view/84

I'd like to add retractable three point harnesses for the added safety of the shoulder harness. My question is how are they mounted? Obviously, they are welded, but is it just attached to the inner roof skin? And how far back should they be mounted?

I don't have any seat belts in my '68 notch, so I obviously need to order replacements. My car doesn't have the roof mount for the 3 point harness (that I can tell so far; I haven't removed the headliner). I've seen some aftermarket mounts such as these:

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/seat...etractable-lap-shoulder/m.products/25/view/84

I'd like to add retractable three point harnesses for the added safety of the shoulder harness. My question is how are they mounted? Obviously, they are welded, but is it just attached to the inner roof skin? And how far back should they be mounted?

there have been several threads on this, here is a good one:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=207188

Yeah I've read through several threads including that one. It mentions needing to add an upper mount but nothing about how and where.

I thought the option sheets showed it...let me check the resto book. When I searched previously I did not find where someone else added the mount and document it. I found a mounting plate similar to the one you did, it was on the site where abodyjoe pointed us to a belt setup. I will be take a look when I get back to the computer.

Thanks for your help. I just need to know where to put the upper mount. When I get home, I'll pull the headliner back to check to see if I already have one. I'd think I could feel it through the headliner, but maybe not.

Just as a matter of history, shoulder belts became mandatory January 1st, 1968. Any 68 Chrysler products made prior to that date, came with regular seat belts.

After looking at the XV belts and comparing, the seat belt planet belts don't have the lap belt bracket to share the common mounting bolt.

I found this conversion kit:

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/3-6870-A-Body2BU.html

Since it uses 4 panel webbing instead of 7 panel webbing, the cost is significantly higher and it does not include the upper mounting bracket (which is only about $10/side).

It would be so much cheaper to just add regular lap belts, but I'd just feel a lot safer with the shoulder harness.

I got mine from Wesco Performance. Good quality and price.

Attachments

• int 15.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 292
  • int 42.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 296
  • int 43.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 304
  • int 45.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 351
  • int 46.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 326
  • int 47.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 299
My car didn't come with any interior so I was starting from scratch. I picked up some black leather seats from a 2004 BMW M3 convertible. These things are HEAVY. There's six little electric motors on them and everything is power. But they flip forward for back seat access, have very nice bolstering, and the shoulder belt is integrated into the seat itself. I had to flatten and widen the floor pan for the seat to fit right and sit low enough for my tastes. The 4 speed hump interferes with the seat going all the way forward but it goes far enough forward for my wife to reach the pedals (she's 5'7"). I built a frame under the pan that is welded into the subframe connectors to account for the shoulder belt anchor. I have plans for adding a set of shoulder belts for the back seat for my kids, and I ordered all of my stuff a couple of days ago from seatbeltplanet. I haven't received it yet but it should be here any day now.

I can type this again easier than hunting where it was typed before....
The roof anchor is directly above where the door glass and quarter glass meet.
If you find your coat hooks in this location, they would be moved rearward about 3 inches so the belt anchor can be installed there.

I was fortunate; I have the third point anchors, so I was able to just put a small slit in the headliner and bolt in the new belts.

-
Back