Adding a vapor can

-

canajien

Reaction score
While I wait for my rad to come back from the shop I'm using the time to take care of some other little things, one of which is the obnoxious smell of gas vapors wasting money and power.

I have a fuel cell in the trunk and some hose looped around acting as a vent but it empies into the trunk, that's how the car was when I bought it, (well the fuel cell is new as I needed a sending unit).

The engine has a Holley 850 so I don't think I would be able to run a line to it from a vapor can, what are my options to keep the fumes from escaping, I have an RCI cell in the trunk and one of the two valves on the top is connected to the looped hose which just "empties" into the trunk.

Could I just loop the hose into the unused fitting, then it would only vent when I open to fill, or would it cause a some kind of problem with the tank trying to collapse, or mess up the fuel pressure?

rci-1120ds.jpg

itll collapse your fuel cell as you consume fuel causing a vacuum, there is no air that can replace the void If you loop it . Mine is ran down through a hole in the trunk remaining ambient to the outside. It does stink up my garage though which my wife tends to tell me about it lol.

itll collapse your fuel cell as you consume fuel causing a vacuum, there is no air that can replace the void If you loop it . Mine is ran down through a hole in the trunk remaining ambient to the outside. It does stink up my garage though which my wife tends to tell me about it lol.
I thought so much. What about passing it through a canister and then venting it outside the car?

The charcoal canister is supposed to absorb the fuel vapors and is plumbed into the bowl vent
at the carb.The vapors are supposed to purge/pull into the carb when the engine is running. Problem is the Holley
doesn't have a hook up for the hose as you stated.You may try the air filter housing or base. That's if you use one.
I had a canister go bad on my 88 Ram and it filled the fuel bowls with charcoal and plugged up everything.
The GM ones are still available aftermarket and don't cost much. That's what I bought because the Ram has to pass smog round here.
What about passing it through a canister and then venting it outside the car?
This may work as while the car is moving to purge the canister. Just guessing.
I don't think I would be able to run a line to it from a vapor can,

The charcoal canister is supposed to absorb the fuel vapors and is plumbed into the bowl vent
at the carb.The vapors are supposed to purge/pull into the carb when the engine is running. Problem is the Holley
doesn't have a hook up for the hose as you stated.You may try the air filter housing or base. That's if you use one.
I had a canister go bad on my 88 Ram and it filled the fuel bowls with charcoal and plugged up everything.
The GM ones are still available aftermarket and don't cost much. That's what I bought because the Ram has to pass smog round here.

This may work as while the car is moving to purge the canister. Just guessing.
Air filter base, seems pretty genius to me!!! I'll do some more reading on that idea and have a poke around and see if there's a spot to run a hose/line into.

Thanks

If it was me I would just run a line from the vent up to the Dutchman panel (the panel between the trunk lid and the rear window) then down through the floor and terminate inside the frame rail like OEM did.

You do know you can buy a roll over valve for the tank vent. Basically it only opens after a certain pressure. If the valve goes upside down (like in a crash and the car rolls over) it closes off the vent, also some models will allow air into the tank but not out of the tank (again in extreme pressure.) They use them for boats, and custom fuel applications. I believe summit sells them. I bought mine from tanks inc.

Many years ago, I had a 56 Ford pickup with the tank behing the front seat.

If I topped off the tank and it sat in the sun the fuel would expand to the point of leaking out the filler cap then down the filler neck right into the cab.

Always fun starting the engine when the cab is filled with fumes.

ALWAYS VENT TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE CAR.

You can also get a vent that whistles as you fill the tank. As the tank fills the tone changes

You do know you can buy a roll over valve for the tank vent. Basically it only opens after a certain pressure. If the valve goes upside down (like in a crash and the car rolls over) it closes off the vent, also some models will allow air into the tank but not out of the tank (again in extreme pressure.) They use them for boats, and custom fuel applications. I believe summit sells them. I bought mine from tanks inc.
Tank already has them, but it doesn't hurt to point this out. Thanks!

I just realized should probably find a way to vent it to the carb/air filter. The car will be stored indoors, at a friend's condo, during the "season" and even though it's much cooler than outside or an above ground garage, I'd rather not make things worse for anyone else getting there car in and out. :(

-
Back