Adding an aftermarket Hood Scoop help needed

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Working on a 66 Dart. Not quite ready to cut the scoop in but trying to think ahead and get some advice. I bought the scoop used from a member on this site. I think it originally had a flange seal that goes on the bottom of the scoop so I will need to try to locate one. The scoop mounts threw a mounting flange built into the inside of the hood. Will have to get you some pics of that tomorrow.
So heres the scoop sitting on the hood.
DSCN0479.JPG

Now my question to start is with the front of the scoop and the center of the hood. Heres a pic of the area I am talking about.
DSCN0478.JPG
DSCN0476.JPG

My question is do I cut the hood to blend in to the scoop or cut the scoop to match the hood formation? This is a first time experience for me as Im no body man!
Also how far from the back of the hood should I position the scoop. Any picture I have found with a similar type hood appears to be around 1/2 to 1". I know your going to say its personal preference but what is going to make the nicest installation?
I can get more pics if you need to see more, just ask.
Look forward to your help.
Thanks Rod

Is the bottom of the scoop flanged with bolt holes? Does it take a flat gasket or the u shaped channel around the perimeter? A pic would be good. It can be a tedious process to get a scoop to sit and fit nice. I make a template of the scoop, measure and mark a centerline and the bolt holes. Not all scoops I've had in my hands are actually symmetrical so I use the centerline. Then use the template to mark the centerlines on the front and rear edges of the scoop. Then I cut the template back to the scoop perimeter and tape it down trace it out on the hood with a sharpie based on the centerline marks. If I move or retrace I use a different color sharpie. On that I would relieve the center so the sides sit flat on the hood and then build/fill in the sides adjacent to the center ridge. That would be easier then trying to rework the entire perimeter. It would involve some cloth and resin because you just can't hang a chunk of filler off the edge of a panel and expect it to stay there if doing it to the scoop side. Or, some metal work on the hood side.
I have used 1/4 inch doubled sided attachment tape in place of the gaskets. Available in black or clear. Some gaskets are pretty crappy and the tape can be done nice and neat and barely noticeable. One time around outboard the bolts . Second time around inboard the bolts. Also, I usually use nylok nuts. I've had some crack from trying to tighten down a split washer. There's other ways, just my approach without seeing all the parts IMHO.

Last edited:
Hey George, thanks for the reply. I will get some pics of the underside tomorrow and get them posted. Appreciate any help you can throw my way.
Rod

One thing to remember before you cut the hole is that the engine is not centered under that hood.

Obviously the scoop needs to be in the center

Are you saying the motor was Factory offset to clear power steering?

mine sits 1 5/16 off of center in my 66. schumacher mounts and poly-loc insulators sitting on a stock K-member. Im master-debating what induction device ill be running on mine here soon. Id chop the scoop to blend with the hood. If you mess up, whoops, get a new one. 66 dart hoods arent what id call, plentiful.

Okay time for some honesty of my opinion. If it's needed or will be needed or utilized at the very least I'm in favor of a hood scoop. And I think you're spot on as far as cutting that piece of plastic or fiberglass Stamped Out a million at a time as compared to doing anything drastic with your hood to match it. Now with that said, that scoop looks a little more modern than the car no?

OK, as for whether the scoop is a little modern then the car the answer is yes. Ive seen a few with this type scoop on and I like it. Heres a couple pics of what drove me to this style because originally I was going with a more era correct style scoop.
Scoop.jpg
66-1.jpg
66-4.jpg

Now heres a pic of the underside of my scoop. I need to make a pattern and then find an original seal for the bottom.
DSCN0490.JPG
DSCN0488.JPG

As always thanks for any help you can throw my way.
Rod

I have one of those monster hood scoops like a full-blown funny car would have and it has about an inch thick piece of sponge on the bottom of it. It would easily suck up all that Contour. Obviously you probably don't want to go that route but sometimes people make them removable also like I will when I make mine here soon. I actually race a hole in the hood class that specifically says you can't have a hood scoop. I'm going to make mine out of materials that I have here and I hope that it will be clear.

Hey J-par, any chance you could get a good pic of that sponge gasket you have. I called summit tonight and they have no gasket listed so I will call Harwood tomorrow but im guessing theres a chance that Im going to have to make/fab something for mine.
Thansk Rod

OK, as for whether the scoop is a little modern then the car the answer is yes. Ive seen a few with this type scoop on and I like it. Heres a couple pics of what drove me to this style because originally I was going with a more era correct style scoop.View attachment 1715150822 View attachment 1715150825 View attachment 1715150827
Now heres a pic of the underside of my scoop. I need to make a pattern and then find an original seal for the bottom.
View attachment 1715150829 View attachment 1715150830
As always thanks for any help you can throw my way.
Rod
Looks good to me!

Hey J-par, any chance you could get a good pic of that sponge gasket you have. I called summit tonight and they have no gasket listed so I will call Harwood tomorrow but im guessing theres a chance that Im going to have to make/fab something for mine.
Thansk Rod
Hey I just got this by chance! Definitely quote me or quote people when you want an answer back so they get a notice. I didn't get any kind of notice and just stumbled Upon This Thread again or I would have given you an answer already. It certainly doesn't look like nothing special it just a piece of foam. Honestly I would highly recommend just going to Home Depot and getting some window trim foam. I just actually used it on my floor hump for my 76 Dodge pickup.

When I make my scoop I'm going to use it on the scoop itself so I can like screw it down and then remove it. Like instead of the scoop having holes to receive a stud, have studs coming out of the scoop itself going through the hood and being able to Wing nut it on from the inside of the hood and have it Nestle Down on a nice piece of foam all the way around. Anyways that was my idea how I was going to put mine on because again I race hole in the hood and need it off at times with my carbs and air filter sticking out.

Just a quick update on this. I was able to call Harwood this week and I ordered the scoop gasket along with a mounting kit for the scoop. It should be here this coming week and the price is only $35 shipping. Will take some pics and post once it arrives.
Thanks Rod

-
Back