Adding timing chain tensioner

-

73Charger318

Member Rt 66 Mopar Club
Reaction score
Has anyone added a timing chain tensioner when rebuilding a small block (273)? If so, I'm looking for information on what tensioner you used.

My chain has a horrible amount of slack, so will likely need replaced. I've heard the tensioner is a great little upgrade to the timing chain and is easy to do.

Thanks!

Invest in a quality double roller set, soak the chain in oil for an hour or so before installation. I've never run a tensioner, so I can't say yay or nay about them. I've heard they keep the chain more stable but I can't attest to it.

Do it. And while you are in there throw away any bolts with holes in it, drip trays, slingers and such.

If there is a cup plug in the drivers side oil gallery take it out.

Drill a hole about .040 inch in the cam retaining plate where the plate covers that hole.

Then you will have full pressure oil going into and on to the timing set.

Everything else is just a waste of time.

If you have some blank Holley air bleeds you can drill and tap the plate and screw an air bleed in there.

I run a tensioner and a billet double roller timing set .
Some believe the tensioner can minimize the pulses when running a big roller cam and high spring pressures. Can’t tell if its true but no issues so far .

Has anyone added a timing chain tensioner when rebuilding a small block (273)? If so, I'm looking for information on what tensioner you used.

My chain has a horrible amount of slack, so will likely need replaced. I've heard the tensioner is a great little upgrade to the timing chain and is easy to do.

Thanks!
I did but wouldn't again. If you have a quality double roller timing set it is really unnecessary. I was thinking, where does the plastic go that wears off the tensioner block as it wears?

Thanks!
Page 2 post#49 273 Build

So you did use one. Where did you get it? I'm leaning just a high quality double roller right now, like Coyles or rollmaster. I still can't believe how much slack is in mine. May be one of the reasons I haven't heard it run yet.

Right. Use the tensioner and lube it like I said.

There is no such thing as a good timing chain.

It’s the cheapest way to drive a cam. That’s why OEM’s use them.

Not because they are the most durable or accurate because they are neither.

I had my block line-honed, and this introduced some slack.Not a big deal, but I liked the idea of a tensioner, just to help keep the ignition-timing from wandering. I went to Chrysler and bought the Dakota one.
Oiling is by driving style, she gets plenty of oil every time I come to a stop or take my foot off the gas, being as how it's a manual trans car and 11/1 Scr, lol.
Yeah and, I got the holy bolt, the drip thingy, and a High-Volume pump flooding the valve springs, with plenty of oil-drainback.
What I did NOT install was the lower oil-flinger.
Your results may vary

for your build, i'd honestly just run this and not worry about it:

if you wanted to spend $30 more and be able to say "it's got a billet timing set" they sell that one as well.

KISS, you're not building a top fuel alcohol motor or whatever

On the subject of 273s, a Commando is about the free-est revving V8 you can find... you definitely want a good chain. I used a Cloyes HD double roller.

All good suggestions. This is the tensioner being used on another build. The guy said while it's not necessary it does keep the chain tight and timing on point when the chain starts to stretch. I'll decide later if I want to add one to a Cloyes double roller. Not sure there is a right or wrong, just a matter of preference.

:popcorn: timing chain tensioner works great, any problems are from defective assembly and poor choice of timing chain. Loose chains cause late & erratic timing. If the engine guy says it's not needed it's time for a new guy

Yep, just a matter of preference. There's opinions for both pros and cons. I saw a pic of one all chewed up and it wasn't pretty. No definitive cause was ever relayed.

Here is my take on using a chain tensioner, one car season.

IMG_4660.JPG

I put the tensioner on my 340. I had to replace the timing cover. At 21K miles I checked the pads on the tensioner. No wear at all. This was with a Cloyes True Roller chain. That surprised me. I thought there would be some wear with the double roller chain.

I ran one, it broke and the flat spring tried to eat its way through the timing cover. Never again, the chain must be tight and I like rollmaster, they are an IWIS chain.

-
Back