Adjusting valves on a 65 273?

-

Coryduran

Reaction score
So I've read the various methods on HOW to adjust, but I read someone say that LA valves can't be adjusted on here, which sounds like total bullshit. I'm wondering what the valves for my 65 273 should be set at for intake and exhaust.

Thanks guys.

I don't know any more but I used to do it with the motor running..one side at a time get a (box end wrench)on the adjuster loosen tell you here it clicking loudly and turn tel it stops you mite want to do this twice an old man that was a chry mechanic showed me how to do this and he could tune a 273 to balance a nickel on the air cleaner....Im sure some one will chime in on the specs for you..Artie

I believe that's a solid cam, so you don't adjust them any other way then with a feeler gauge like any other solid.

La valves are not adjustable with the stamped steel rocker arms.
They are used with hydraulic cam shafts.

.013 intake .021 exhaust. Adjust hot. Use this chart as to which ones to adjust. toolmanmike

Attachments

• valveadjustmentchart.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 964
Id like to see this done w the engine running. Would think it would be imposable to get correct lash. Everyone ive ever seen or heard of doing it follows the steps listed on the mopar performance adjustment chart above.

And you do have to pull the intake, correct? To see where the lifters are in lowered positions? This is while doing it with engine NOT running.

Nope, just pull the valve covers and watch the valves on the chart then adjust the valves the chart says. Please don't pull the intake.

Id like to see this done w the engine running. Would think it would be imposable to get correct lash. Everyone ive ever seen or heard of doing it follows the steps listed on the mopar performance adjustment chart above.
My dad was a chrysler mechanic hes 84 now but I use to watch him adjust those things withthe engine running theold hammer and torchmechanics were born for those muscle cars.

Follow the bulges (ports) on the head and intake to the valve springs. The exhaust ports will line up with the exhaust valves too. The intake ports line up with the spark plugs. The order from front to back is E I I E E I I E

Attachments

• engine 185.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 569
I adjust my valves with the engine off and cold one cylinder at a time. I adjust them cold because I don't like burning my fingers and not running because I couldn't keep a socket or wrench on the rocker. I pull the plugs so the engine is easier to pull over with the fan blade or a socket on the front. You can pull the distributor cap and watch the rotor to get an idea of which cylinder is at top dead center on compression stroke. Firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.
The clearance will tigten up when the engine runs and gets hot, a little tight won't hurt. This has worked for me for 45 years with good results.
Try the different suggestions and see which way you like best.
Isky recomends adding .002 to the adjustment when adjusting cold to get the proper hot lash.

I'll try to get video of doing mine this summer.

I adjust my valves with the engine off .................... pull the distributor cap and watch the rotor to get an idea of which cylinder is at top dead center on compression stroke..

This is ABSOLUTELY NOT the way to adjust valves except maybe a bone stock cam. If you have a hot cam, the lifters won't be on the "heel" of the cam at TDC

The best way to adjust valves with engine off is to learn the "EOIC"

This means that you bump the engine on a given cylinder until

The EXHAUST valve just starts to OPEN, then you adjust the intake valve on that cylinder

To adjust the exhaust valves, you bump until

The INTAKE valve is almost CLOSED and adjust the exhaust valve on that cylinder

doing this today...
make it simple
turn with socket on crank
watch push rod #1 Cly, or any Cly. after intake push rod stops moving. you may need to apply a little pressure with your finger on the push rod.
go another 1/4 turn that cylinder is on its compression stroke.
lifters are on the hill of the cam. adj that Cly. both In and Ex.
you can go in firing order or what ever.

-
Back