1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
3 beaten eggs
4 tablespoons oil

For the coating
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (or chicken stock powder)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon tarragon
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon chives
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt

Directions

Sift flour and add together all the coating ingredients and grind finely with a mortar and pestle and place in a clean plastic bag. Coat each chicken piece first with the beaten egg, then with the flour mixture in the bag. Make sure you coat each piece completely with the flour.
Heat the oil in a skillet. Brown the chicken in oil slowly, uncovered. Once browned, cover the skillet and keeping frying on a very gentle heat until the chicken is fully cooked.

Place on paper towels to drain out the excess

IMG_4030.jpeg

Sounds good. Just has to pass the taste test.

I used to love their chicken but I got a job there right before I turned 16. You were so busy I never had a chance to eat and by time I knew the job well enough I was tired of smelling chicken. 6 months and never ate a piece. It tastes like crap now since they banned cooking with good oil.

Bone in thighs.
Oil em and shake whatever is in the spice rack…salt, pepper, “Tajin”, crazy mixed up Jane salt…..both sides.

Bake at 375* for 50…..60 if a little frozen.

Really hard to screw up.

Edit: saying all that, the recipe above (PBRs) looks dialed as far as seasoning

I if remember correctly they claimed " 11 herb and spices !" At least 13 in your recipe !

I usually never cook with salt except maybe fried eggs. I do use garlic salt in my sauces then I salt to taste when I eat it.
I really watch my salt intake after chatting with my heart surgeon. There must be something to it because the cardiac rehab nurses preached the same thing. Oh, after my open heart surgery.

I really watch my salt intake after chatting with my heart surgeon. There must be something to it because the cardiac rehab nurses preached the same thing. Oh, after my open heart surgery.
Yes ,salt isn't the best you do for your heart and arteries !
How many years Mike, I remember you having that done. Looks like they did a good job !

Yes ,salt isn't the best you do for your heart and arteries !
How many years Mike, I remember you having that done. Looks like they did a good job !
5 years ago. I am still among the living. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks for remembering.

In the 1980sthey supposedly tested the secret ingredients. The only found 3. Idk how true that was. Kim

When I worked there for 1.45 an hour the guys set up all the pots with oil and got them to temp, cleaned the chicken, prepped the chicken, cooked the chicken, cleaned the pots, recycled the oil to clean it every night, then cleaned the floors, office, and freezer. We were threatened with a polygraph if anything was missing. My knuckles were all scared up from cleaning the pots every night. Man I hated that job. The seasoning was premixed and pretty much unlabeled

My wife , Theresa was an RN in the Cardiac unit I'm not allowed to eat Fried Chicken much. Although I would like it everyday!
That's good she doesn't want to kill you off. I don't eat a lot of fried foods either.

5 years ago. I am still among the living. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks for remembering.
I had triple bypass surgery with "complications" 13 years ago. Complications: they let me cough myself apart twice, then let me get infected, cut some of my sternum and rib cage away and used "flap" surgery to hold me together. According to my wife, seven surgeries in six weeks, then another six weeks of rehab, plus a few months of out-patient therapy. Before the year was out, though, I managed to put TTI headers and X-pipe exhaust in my 67 Barracuda.

My wife used to fry great chicken. What she does now is just braise (I think that's the word) boneless, skinless chicken breast pieces in a skillet. Just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. No skin, no deep fry, but the chicken meat does turn brown on the outside. Tastes great! And I'm still here!!

I had triple bypass surgery with "complications" 13 years ago. Complications: they let me cough myself apart twice, then let me get infected, cut some of my sternum and rib cage away and used "flap" surgery to hold me together. According to my wife, seven surgeries in six weeks, then another six weeks of rehab, plus a few months of out-patient therapy. Before the year was out, though, I managed to put TTI headers and X-pipe exhaust in my 67 Barracuda.

My wife used to fry great chicken. What she does now is just braise (I think that's the word) boneless, skinless chicken breast pieces in a skillet. Just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. No skin, no deep fry, but the chicken meat does turn brown on the outside. Tastes great! And I'm still here!!
Wow! I'm glad you are still here. Keep eating healthy.

The real problem with salt is iodized salt. I used to have problems with salt but we started using Redmonds salt, pink salt, and I handle it great. It has essential minerals and electrolytes in it. Our bodies actually need salt.

Last edited:
We also need iodine, thus Iodized salt.
Table salt is stripped of 60+ minerals and then “fortified”. They take out all the good stuff.

Is salt a natural source of iodine?​

Yes, salt does naturally have iodine. Regular, totally natural (NOT iodized) salt has about 10% of the daily requirement of iodine per quarter tsp.

Why is iodine added to salt?​

Iodine is essential for health. And a bad thyroid problem can result from an iodine deficiency.

During the draft for WWI, in the midwest, there was a limited supply of fresh seafood, which is the biggest source of iodine for most people. In addition to that, refined sugars and processed foods had become very popular. So when the U.S. military discovered many men weren’t qualifying for the draft because of this problem–which led to a lower number of recruits available in the midwest–the U.S. government began to research how they could force iodine consumption. Not unlike the way many municipalities across the country add fluoride to water, the U.S. government decided to add iodine to a food source.

Salt was not the first choice; they considered adding iodine to flour or water, but it turned both flour and water a reddish purple color, since iodine is purple. They discovered it could be added to salt and remain stable, and, since salt was a necessary ingredient in everyone’s diet, it enabled a forced iodine consumption.

Then they required all salt manufacturers (and they still do today) to add a warning to their product if they did not add additional iodine.

But, guys, salt was NEVER supposed to be a natural source of iodine.

How much iodine is in iodized salt?​

In 1/4 tsp of iodized salt you’ll find 45% of your daily recommended amount of iodine.

But–this is what no one tells you–less than 10% of that 45% iodine is actually bio available when it’s attached to salt.

Ummm, what!?

How can you prevent iodine deficiency?​

To prevent an iodine deficiency, simply seek out foods rich in iodine (like seafood and mozzarella cheese), or find a good iodine substitute.

Other tips?

Remove or reduce halogen exposure by having a good water filter.

Avoid enriched flour, which is enriched with bromide. While bromide is a flour conditioner/volumizer, enriched flour is also an iodine inhibitor!

Sidenote: Dairy products are some of the best sources of bioavailable iodine. The Ultimate Guide to Salt–with Darryl Bosshardt of Redmond Real Salt (S7, E1) - Souly Rested

Last edited:
-
Back