Advice on 67 Barracuda Convertible

-

Footer

Reaction score
Hello everyone...new guy here. Sorry if this is the incorrect place to post some questions, but I need to act quick on this car...

It's a 1967 Barracuda Convertible V8 273 4BB Commando. Auto. Red with White Top and Leather interior. Has A/C and 40k original miles on it. Car is in quite good shape. I know there were only 4,228 convertibles made in 67. Is there a way to find out specific production numbers on it.. I did pull the vin and ran the report on where is was made, confirmed engine, etc...Not sure if it's considered rare or not. any thoughts? The current owner is asking $8,500 What are your thoughts on price?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. .

Sincerely,
Footer.

there is no way we can be any help with price without some pictures..

not sure you can break down how many cars were built with specific options.

Is there a fendertag?? I could be wrong, but any 67 cuda with the 273 Commando would be formula s. To confirm its an "S" you would need a pic of the fendertag

Hello everyone...new guy here. Sorry if this is the incorrect place to post some questions, but I need to act quick on this car...

It's a 1967 Barracuda Convertible V8 273 4BB Commando. Auto. Red with White Top and Leather interior. Has A/C and 40k original miles on it. Car is in quite good shape. I know there were only 4,228 convertibles made in 67. Is there a way to find out specific production numbers on it.. I did pull the vin and ran the report on where is was made, confirmed engine, etc...Not sure if it's considered rare or not. any thoughts? The current owner is asking $8,500 What are your thoughts on price?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. .

Sincerely,
Footer.

Clean convertible without needing rust repair and presentable would be in the ball park with any engine.

If it is a real 273 HIPO, yes it should have the Formula S badges, 8 3/4 rear solid lifter cam.

It would not have LEATHER might be white pearl vinyl (correct white interior in 67)

Pictures would help, that is very low miles on that old of car, WHAT IS THE STORY? All low mile car has a story

Is there a fendertag?? I could be wrong, but any 67 cuda with the 273 Commando would be formula s. To confirm its an "S" you would need a pic of the fendertag

I believe this is the tag?

IMG_3373.jpg

I see an 8 3/4 rearend, and the correct valve covers.. Nice int !! dash pad looks perfect! very nice
I don't know if the 67 model had the formula S horn button, thats one thing that sticks out that it may not be a formula S.

What do the 1/4's look like?? might be priced a little high..in my opinion

I see an 8 3/4 rearend, and the correct valve covers.. Nice int !! dash pad looks perfect! very nice
I don't know if the 67 model had the formula S horn button, thats one thing that sticks out that it may not be a formula S.

It has a Commando badge on the front quarter panels, but no S badge below. Thanks!

It doesn't have the S exhaust, it's a single with the resonator. The engine compartment looks modified. You're VIN should start with BH27E. I have a 67 4spd formula S convertible, I bought it new in 1967. Look for the torque boxes on the frame. Pop the distributor cap and look for the dual point setup. The engine compartment looks too busy, like it's a transplant. Does it have the Kelsey Hays disk brakes or the 10 inch drums on the front? Does it have the 14 x 5.5 inch steel wheels? Does it have the front sway bar? These are the things to look for.

here is a 1/4 panel on a car.. around the rear tire and to the bumper

Attachments

• Creeds 1950 ford build going big block 033.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 500
Dash he been butchered for the CD radio. 1967 had no woodgrain available for the console.
That started in 1970. Looks like the carrier is leaking on the rearend. Brake peddle pad looks
like the right bottom corner is worn down way too much for a 40K mile car.

Need a lot more pictures than this to get an idea. How is the top? So far I would say too high.

From what little numbers I can make out on the fender tag this is what comes up. I may have some numbers that aren't clear so they might be wrong.

CAR: Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Convertible
ENGINE: 273cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
BUILD DATE: April 27.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Black Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Gold Metallic Paint.
OTHER:
MOLDINGS:
ABC OPTIONS:
M2: Unknown Option
S1: Air Conditioning
Y1: Black Convertible Top
Z1: Unknown Option
abc OPTIONS:
g4: Unknown Option
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror

You need to check this fender tag against the hidden numbers on the body just to make sure that it matches.

I doubt it has 40k original miles.

According to the fender tag it should be Gold with Black interior.

Other tag info:

CAR: Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Convertible
ENGINE: 273cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: D70x14 Red Sidewall, nylon belted
MODEL YEAR: 1967
BUILD DATE: April 27.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Black Interior.
PAINT: Gold Metallic (Dodge, Plymouth), Spice Gold Metallic (Chrysler), Cinnamon Gold Metallic (Imperial).
OTHER:

MOLDINGS:

ABC OPTIONS:
M2: Assembly plant: Hamtrack
R1: AM Radio

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats

The S was a package that added sway bar etc.. Not all 273 Commando cars were S builds. That car could very well be correct with 10" drums all around and no sway bar, no tach.
Single exhaust is correct for 67 also. Commando exhaust had a resonator tip combo.

There isn't supposed to be a lighter well or anything else to the right of the radio before 68.

Even with its flaws the price is fair. You couldn't build one like it for less.

but I need to act quick on this car

whats the rush??

man i would think long and hard before buying that thing for that money..

what they pull this thing out of the ocean?

IMG_3340.jpg

Here is what I noticed, the interior has obviously been redone, and in 67 the console didnt have the wood grain, it should have been a "brushed" finish with a line/stripe up the middle of it. Feel along the center of the console on the top plates, I bet the wood grain decals were put over top of the orig console. It is not an "S" but that doesnt mean it isnt a cool car.

Actually, i just looked at the console again, and the wood grain decal is on the slider door for the ashtray and it should be chrome to be correct. I can see the line/stripe hiding underneath

Okla- my 69 console has the wood grain
Memike what is the "S" horn button??

Would love to see more of the car, in my opinion should've kept the "ZZ1" gold. ***** red just aint doing it for me, but nice car

Thanks for all the comments and insight everyone.. God hope its not supposed to be gold and black ...here are the last of the pics I have..

IMG_3358-1.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3352.jpg

IMG_3341.jpg

Wow under that hood needs serious tidying up.
By the way what exactly is wrong with gold and black?? This is dads 67
Thats my son Garrett sitting in it.

Attachments

• dads cuda.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 487
  • cuda.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 489
Definitely a gold car. Look at that trunk photo on the left hinge support. There is gold peeking out where someone didn't mask carefully. Definitely a poor repaint too since there is paint on everything that doesn't get paint-the gas fill tube, the shock absorber nuts, brake lines, etc. It would be a great driver if everything functioned correctly, but all that rust underneath would be a concern and cause me to look deeper in the car. Looks like someone built the car to their liking, which isn't a bad thing if it was done correctly. The heavy grease and rust underneath (especially around the brakes and rear end) would have to be addressed. I can't remember, do the 67's have the starter relay that high up on the fender? Mine is beside the battery tray....oh, looks like the wrong battery tray and one of the relay holes covered by the incorrect tray.

For a supposed 40k mile car, there sure are a lot of things "changed". Obviously, the motor has been out, and the flipper red paint job was done in haste. Things like painted brake lines, the painted vent tube in the trunk, and if I'm not mistaken, all of the soft items in the interior have also been painted. I've never seen a shiny painted red dash pad before, or the kick panels.

IMO, this car is being mis-represented as an original 40k mile car, and there is way too much shoddy workmanship on it to command that price. Formula "S" or not, it doesn't matter, the crappy workmanship would demand that this car be completly stripped down and redone, and I'll bet you find the same quality workmanship throughout!!

My estimate...$5k, tops!! Geof

Nothing wrong with gold, just the car is red :)

Nothing really wrong with gold and black. Black is very hot in a vert though.
My 67 vert started life gold with black also. Its next life will be white paint, white top, with the metallic red int'.

-
Back