Advice on donor car for V8 swap

-

green72

Reaction score
I have a 72 Scamp /6. I am in no hurry, but am keeping my eyes open for a good donor car to do a V8 swap. At my level of experience this will be a challenge. I would like some advice on the most compatible cars for my swap. Right now there is a 1977 Volare wagon near me that is priced right. It is a 318 904. Trans is fresh, runs and drives nice rest of car is rough. Would this be a donor?

Obviously a V8 Dart or Valiant would be your best canidate because you'd have everything there to take as you needed it. Linkages, radiator, brackets, water pump, pulleys etc. But any V8 Mopig out there would give you a good start toward your swap.

While the motor and transmission are the biggest pieces of the swap and probably the most expensive there are so many other things to consider. Others have pointed out there are linkages drive shaft lengths different K member or 150$ motor mounts also eventually a bigger rear end eventually bigger stronger torsion bars a radiator and exhaust pieces I'm sure there's something I'm missing off the top my head here.

I would be have to be getting a really good deal to buy a whole car like that just for the motor and transmission plus all the other parts that are needed. Is it a really good price that you cannot pass up then that is great for you but I was still look for another complete factory V8 car for the rest of the parts.

I am on the road working this is just a quick off the top of my head sitting here at lunch if you things I'm sure there is more than somebody else will point out.

A Boss 351 Mustang would be a great donor.

The rear axle spring perches on the F-body (Volare/Aspen) are an inch wider than the A-body. Also, the Volare axle would have be a BBP axle. There should be a metal tag on the 72 & 77 axles specifying the ratios. In all probability, both cars have a 7¼" rear end. Count number of bolts in the rear end cover plate. A 7¼ will have 9 except for the 2.45 and 2.21 rear ends which may have 10. The Volare may have an 8¼ axle. The cover plate will be round and will have 10 bolts. FWIW: The 7¼ has 2.75" axle tubes, the 8¼ has 3" tubes. Therefore, if you go to the larger axle, you'll need to have the shock plates and clips, too.

Didn't catch what trans is in your 72. If it is a 904, suggest keeping the existing driveshaft and rear axle for now.

The 77 is going to have a ton of emissions gear on it. To make it run properly in the 72, you'll need all of it. 1977 was one of the years that Mopar used a CCEGR valve that was mounted in the radiator header tank. The emissions system on the Volare used a LOT of vacuum lines. If you disconnect one, be sure you have it marked in a way that it can reattached to the correct fitting. All vacuum lines are not the same. Some are "timed" by the carburetor, others are not.

As far as actually installing the engine in your car, it will be necessary to choose between using adapter mounts, such as Schumacher Creative Services makes; or replace the K-frame with a 67-72 A-body V-8 piece. The 73-77 V-8 K-member will also work, but there may be additional issues such as anti-roll bars that might cause delays. As is, the mounting points on a 72 /6 K-frame are incompatible with the LA V-8.

The devils in the details on this conversion:

• Need an A-body LA driver side exhaust manifold or use headers. Area around steering gear is very tight.
  • Cannot use a full size oil filter on A-body unless it is remote or on a 90º adapter from an A-body LA. Other option use the "shorty" filter. Long (1 qt.) filter will hit passenger side torsion bar under some situations.

I have a 72 Scamp /6. I am in no hurry, but am keeping my eyes open for a good donor car to do a V8 swap. At my level of experience this will be a challenge. I would like some advice on the most compatible cars for my swap. Right now there is a 1977 Volare wagon near me that is priced right. It is a 318 904. Trans is fresh, runs and drives nice rest of car is rough. Would this be a donor?

Schumacher.com will get to motor mounts,they are 159.00 dollars,you measure from the bottom of the existing hole on the drivers side mount and drill a 9/16th hole and cut 1 3/4 inch off top of the mount to clear the block from hitting the mount,lot cheaper and easier than changing k frame, you are adding 180 lbs if you use a small block,they recommend to change shocks.mounts come with template.

yes the schumaker mounts work, but you might consider a k member swap. at least step up to 10 in drums, better choice would be the previously mentioned 73-6 k with discs. the engine trans radiator drivesfaft, deal , would depend for me on the condition and price. the rest of the car could be scrap. to me....
rusty the ratrod,,,, mustang ford? what ya been trying to smoke!? LOL

-
Back