Aftermarket Autometer 2494 Speedo. Or rebuild. Arrrgh!!

-

Neal Zimmerman

Reaction score
I am now considering an aftermarket mechanical speedo. Currently hovering around the Autometer 2494. Instructions sheets says cable requirements are 5/8 and 18. And cable needs to be a .104 square. Does anybody know what cable dimensions are for stock mopar cables? I am wondering if a stock 67 cuda screw on cable would work?
I am tempted to go GPS but I don't think that's my style
Neal

What about an electronic one. Sender mounts on trans and outputs a signal over a wire that the gauge on the dash can interpret.

can't recommend one as I have never used one but here you go.

3-3/8

upload_2022-7-9_11-45-0.png

I'm not sure about the 5/8 18, or the stock mopar.... but the square .104 end sounds like my mechanical tach cable.
Time to talk to a speedometer shop. If I remember right, the cable has to be wound correctly for the app, speedos and tachs turn opposite directions (?)

The tip can be staked on whatever cable you have. The Universal ones include the tip and useless stamped stake tool. HINT: Put the useless stake took in a vice on the lower side, put cable into tip and put snug vice grips across the 2 sides, then strike with the hammer. If not the tools sides just splay over the tip and dont crimp it.

At Summit or Jegs look up the Equus # E7072 Speedometer.
I have used 2 of these now and just today took my 63 Belvedere out for a test ride.
I like them for $60, they can't be beat.
I installed on in a 64 Dart about 7 years ago.Both, I made up my own gauge cluster.
They take the screw on factory cable such as your 67. Just wire in the light and you are good to go.

-
Back