Aftermarket oil pump pickup height issues

-

jawbone

Cuda_queer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Engine is a 340. Engine manual states pickup intake should rest on bottom of oil pan. Have purchased two pickups from Melling both of which will are too tall. One inhibits oil pan from contacting pan rails by 1/2 inch. The other 1/4 inch too tall. I should mention the oil pan is a Milidon stock replacement. Purchased Milidon pickup which is not tall enough by 1/4 inch per their specs. Pickup screen at least 1/2 inch from bottom of pan. Anyone have these same issues with these aftermarket suppliers and if so what did you do about it. Milidon has requested I return my pickup to verify it's only 6 1/2 inches high and not the spec 6 3/4. Was was going to let it go based on Milidon's comments but changed my mind. Did not think it right.

P1060522.JPG

P1060523.JPG

Looks like a stock replacement pickup would be just about right. 65'

Looks to me like that "spacer bar" on the pickup is going to hold the screen more than 1/2"off the bottom of the pan, no matter what...
Since you're using a Milodon "stock replacement" pan, you should be using a stock replacement pickup, which you clearly don't have.
Moral of the story: Don't mix 'n match these type of pieces from different manufacturers. Use the matched Milodon pickup for your Milodon pan.

Last edited:
Looks to me like that "spacer bar" on the pickup is going to hold the screen more than 1/2"off the bottom of the pan, no matter what...
Since you're using a Milodon "stock replacement" pan, you should be using a stock replacement pickup, which you clearly don't have.
Moral of the story: Don't mix 'n match these type of pieces from different manufacturers. Use the matched Milodon pickup for your Milodon pan.
What you are looking at is a Milodon pickup for a stock Milodon oil pan that I have.

You want about 3/8" between the pickup and pan with that style pickup. Put some clay or similar on it and bolt the pan down with the gasket for an accurate reading. Mine was a little low (and lower towards the back of the engine) and needed bending slightly to get it sitting right. They are a bastard to bend - put it in a vise and use some heat.
20221014_161053.jpg

You want about 3/8" between the pickup and pan with that style pickup. Put some clay or similar on it and bolt the pan down with the gasket for an accurate reading. Mine was a little low (and lower towards the back of the engine) and needed bending slightly to get it sitting right. They are a bastard to bend - put it in a vise and use some heat.
View attachment 1716047734
Hi Ted. Thanks for the response. Based on the measured dimensions, the pickup is 1/4 inch short. Was measured at 6 1/2 from bottom of screen to rail. Advertised is 6 3/4. If you add to that the height of the bridge and gasket, I'm at at least 1/2 inch. I used a healthy layer of grease on top of bridge which never contacted bottom of pan. Will try the clay for more accurate measurement but I know I'm more than 3/8. Like you said, would be very difficult to bend. Is this common?

Thanks for response. The Milodon pickup 18650 is the one in my pic mounted to pump. Looks nothing like Mopar stock. Melling looks like Mopar. Tried two of those. Required me to modify baffle in pan.
Hmmm... looks nothing like the Milodon 18650 that I posted. Are you sure they're sending you the right ones, and not mismarked inventory? I've used these in the past, no issues. Yours looks more like the race pan pickup.
Mancini shows the same one as the pic I posted (from Jeg's)- Milodon 18650 Oil Pump Pickup - that kinda confirms my suspicion that you're not receiving the correct one.

Hmmm... looks nothing like the Milodon 18650 that I posted. Are you sure they're sending you the right ones, and not mismarked inventory? I've used these in the past, no issues. Yours looks more like the race pan pickup.
Mancini shows the same one as the pic I posted (from Jeg's)- Milodon 18650 Oil Pump Pickup - that kinda confirms my suspicion that you're not receiving the correct one.
Have had conversations with Milodon in which 1) pickup would have different bend to fit notch in baffle which it does 2) bridge on bottom of pickup was part of conversation. I don't have answer for you other than part number on web site matched the one I received. Quite possible that Jegs and Mancini are using stock photos.

The pick up you have should have the little standoff touching the pan.

Make it touch and send it.

If you were using an OE pick up then yes, the whole thing needs to touch the pan.

Maybe the high volume pump needs more room to pull the extra oil

Do yourself a favor, 86 the pan and get a different brand, ANY different brand and see if that doesn't fix your problems

(And bonus, that pan won't leak)

I just ordered the same pan and pickup for a 360 build. It will be a couple weeks before I can fit mine to see if there are any issues. I also received the parts and part numbers 340 360 pan number aside as the OP.

Engine is a 340. Engine manual states pickup intake should rest on bottom of oil pan. Have purchased two pickups from Melling both of which will are too tall. One inhibits oil pan from contacting pan rails by 1/2 inch. The other 1/4 inch too tall. I should mention the oil pan is a Milidon stock replacement. Purchased Milidon pickup which is not tall enough by 1/4 inch per their specs. Pickup screen at least 1/2 inch from bottom of pan. Anyone have these same issues with these aftermarket suppliers and if so what did you do about it. Milidon has requested I return my pickup to verify it's only 6 1/2 inches high and not the spec 6 3/4. Was was going to let it go based on Milidon's comments but changed my mind. Did not think it right.

View attachment 1716047716

View attachment 1716047717
I just looked at my stuff and I also bought the matching Milodon windage tray which has a cut out for the pick up tube shaft. Looks like if you use their windage tray you can turn the pick up a tad and it will fit. Sad thing is it looks like you'll have to move 2 windage tray mounting main studs.

They definitely need to add that to their website and to their dealer's info that this pickup tube won't work with the Magnum windage tray without mods. There is nothing said about it anywhere that I can find on the pick up tube but the tray mentions the cutout for the pickup tube.

Also the Magnum windage tray is further from the crank. further causing fitment issues. Look at the Milodon tray bolt holes, right at the scraper level. The Magnum tray has the scraper further from the crank and the bolts are recessed a little. You can modify that windage tray with a cutting tool or get a Milodon tray. Best of luck.

32230.png

Last edited:
Hi Ted. Thanks for the response. Based on the measured dimensions, the pickup is 1/4 inch short. Was measured at 6 1/2 from bottom of screen to rail. Advertised is 6 3/4. If you add to that the height of the bridge and gasket, I'm at at least 1/2 inch. I used a healthy layer of grease on top of bridge which never contacted bottom of pan. Will try the clay for more accurate measurement but I know I'm more than 3/8. Like you said, would be very difficult to bend. Is this common?
Not sure how common an issue it is, mine measured 6 11/16" to the pan rail at the front and was about 1/16" lower at the rear (only parallel to the pan rails in 1 plane).
I would say their quality control could definately be improved upon. Make sure you have a good look at the pan before installing it too.
You could send it back and hope they send you a better (taller) one or bend it to give the right clearance. You need a fair bit of heat in it to bend that pipe which destroys the gold plating - but no one's going to be looking at it when it's done.
Hmmm... looks nothing like the Milodon 18650 that I posted.
Mine is also the 18650, the pictures on summit/mancini ect are just generic photos.
Or they have recently changed the design for this part number.
They definitely need to add that to their website and to their dealers info. There is nothing said about it but from your pic it will not work with a magnum windage tray.
It fits with the factory/mopar windage tray.

Not sure how common an issue it is, mine measured 6 11/16" to the pan rail at the front and was about 1/16" lower at the rear (only parallel to the pan rails in 1 plane).
I would say their quality control could definately be improved upon. Make sure you have a good look at the pan before installing it too.
You could send it back and hope they send you a better (taller) one or bend it to give the right clearance. You need a fair bit of heat in it to bend that pipe which destroys the gold plating - but no one's going to be looking at it when it's done.

Mine is also the 18650, the pictures on summit/mancini ect are just generic photos.
Or they have recently changed the design for this part number.

It fits with the factory/mopar windage tray.
Really? It's that far off? You have had one work with the Magnum tray with no issues?

I'm using a mopar performance tray, looks the same as the OP's tray. But yes everything clears.

Yours is a lot further away from the tray than his is. His is already against the tray almost. I don't see how he's going to make that fit from looking at his pic and yours. Are you running the Milodon oil pan with baffles also? Sorry for all the questions but I'll be dealing with this very soon.

I see. They do NOT fit with the factory windage tray without modification. I'll bet money they were designed to not work with the factory tray without issues because it would have been very easy to alter the design. Do yourself a favor and get the Milodon tray. It's closer to the crank anyway and it's cheap.

Correct, my tray is lower in that picture but it did all fit together at the standard height. The weld at the pump end  just contacted the tray on first mock up, but a quick tap with a ball pein hammer fixed that.
My engine is a 318 so i have shorter main caps than the OP. The threads in this block were tapped deep enough for me to be able to ditch the 2 washers that make up the difference in cap height and lower the tray to where it is now.
I didn't like how far away the crank/rods were from the tray with the first setup but the pickup and sump did fit with the tray at the higher position.
I am using a stock replacement pan with a baffle plate not the milodon pan.

-
Back