Aftermarket oil pump pickup height issues

-
Correct, my tray is lower in that picture but it did all fit together at the standard height. The weld at the pump end  just contacted the tray on first mock up, but a quick tap with a ball pein hammer fixed that.
My engine is a 318 so i have shorter main caps than the OP. The threads this block were tapped deep enough for me to be able to ditch the 2 washers that make up the difference in cap height and lower the tray.
I didn't like how far away the crank/rods were from the tray with the first setup but the pickup and sump did fit with the tray at the higher position.
I am using a stock replacement pan with a baffle plate not the milodon pan.
I'm not knocking your work. I would have done the same thing, I'm certain it works great. Some of the guys on here aren't going to have the skill and tools to make those adjustments so it should be noted that this could be an issue if not using the Milodon tray. Looking at the OP pics he is going to have to alter his tray or that tube to make it fit. If that's an issue and he has the time and funds he may be better off buying the Milodon tray. I don't know if the factory pan and the Milodon are exactly the same depth. All I have is truck pans and the Milodon.

No offence taken, I agree once you start mixing parts you may have to do some massaging to get everything to play nice. My stock replacement pan was 7" deep. The milodon pan might be different. Here it is at first mock up with the tray at the high (stock) position - a smack with a ball pein hammer at the circled area on the tray was all that was needed for clearance. Either way i dont think removing the current tray or adding a milodon one will make his pickup any closer to the pan.
20230211_181406.jpg

Last edited:
I just ordered the same pan and pickup for a 360 build. It will be a couple weeks before I can fit mine to see if there are any issues. I also received the parts and part numbers 340 360 pan number aside as the OP.
Be sure not to assume the pickup is the correct height. Am anxious to see how it goes. Good luck.

Do yourself a favor, 86 the pan and get a different brand, ANY different brand and see if that doesn't fix your problems

(And bonus, that pan won't leak)
Not having any issues with the pan SO FAR with the exception of inserting the nibs of the main cap seals without breaking them off. That issue to follow. Anyone whom has purchased the SB Milodon pan gasket set knows what I'm talking about.

P1060524.JPG

P1060525.JPG

P1060526.JPG

I just looked at my stuff and I also bought the matching Milodon windage tray which has a cut out for the pick up tube shaft. Looks like if you use their windage tray you can turn the pick up a tad and it will fit. Sad thing is it looks like you'll have to move 2 windage tray mounting main studs.

They definitely need to add that to their website and to their dealer's info that this pickup tube won't work with the Magnum windage tray without mods. There is nothing said about it anywhere that I can find on the pick up tube but the tray mentions the cutout for the pickup tube.

Also the Magnum windage tray is further from the crank. further causing fitment issues. Look at the Milodon tray bolt holes, right at the scraper level. The Magnum tray has the scraper further from the crank and the bolts are recessed a little. You can modify that windage tray with a cutting tool or get a Milodon tray. Best of luck.

View attachment 1716048008
I had to carve out the notch in oil pan baffle to get stock pickup to work. They make no mention of that.

I had to carve out the notch in oil pan baffle to get stock pickup to work. They make no mention of that.
I read somewhere that the factory round pick up wont work. Are you saying you had to modify the pan baffle to use the Milodon pick up tube?

Yours is a lot further away from the tray than his is. His is already against the tray almost. I don't see how he's going to make that fit from looking at his pic and yours. Are you running the Milodon oil pan with baffles also? Sorry for all the questions but I'll be dealing with this very soon.
I am using stock Mopar windage tray. No issues fitting Milodon pickup and yes am using Milodon pan as well. The pan has small notch in baffle that does not leave much room for fitment error in mounting pickup. I carved mine out not due to Milodon pickup clearance issues but in attempt to use Melling pickup which resembles the stock Mopar. Melling pickup bends are very different than Milodon.

I read somewhere that the factory round pick up wont work. Are you saying you had to modify the pan baffle to use the Milodon pick up tube?
I modified Milodon notch in first attempt to use Melling pickup with looks like factory round pickup. Do not know if it presents issue if using Milodon pickup. It is a small notch so would need to be very precise.

No offence taken, I agree once you start mixing parts you may have to do some massaging to get everything to play nice. My stock replacement pan was 7" deep. The milodon pan might be different. Here it is at first mock up with the tray at the high (stock) position - a smack with a ball pein hammer at the circled area on the tray was all that was needed for clearance. Either way i dont think removing the current tray or adding a milodon one will make his pickup any closer to the pan.
View attachment 1716048022
Milodon pan is advertised at 7 1/4 deep at pickup position.

Not having any issues with the pan SO FAR with the exception of inserting the nibs of the main cap seals without breaking them off. That issue to follow. Anyone whom has purchased the SB Milodon pan gasket set knows what I'm talking about.

View attachment 1716048142

View attachment 1716048143

View attachment 1716048144
i hope that is all the problems your gonna have with it

when i had mine, i had to notch the K frame (some might say thats an important part of a vehicle) AND the darn thing leaked like a sief

now, they will tell you this is because they manufacture their pans in a comunist stronghold where they are not allowed to test their welds with oil, so they test it with water

great story, and if they had charged their pans accordingly, this might fly, but they charge 300 dollars for a pan that "should fit" but doesnt, and shouldnt leak but does

i hope that is all the problems your gonna have with it

when i had mine, i had to notch the K frame (some might say thats an important part of a vehicle) AND the darn thing leaked like a sief

now, they will tell you this is because they manufacture their pans in a comunist stronghold where they are not allowed to test their welds with oil, so they test it with water

great story, and if they had charged their pans accordingly, this might fly, but they charge 300 dollars for a pan that "should fit" but doesnt, and shouldnt leak but does
So the milodon pan has fitment issues or their gasket set does? Did you use the 340 or 360 pan?

So the milodon pan has fitment issues or their gasket set does? Did you use the 340 or 360 pan?
I used the 360 pan, made marketed and sold as a direct fit for my 71 duster...and it didn't fit without mutilating the K member

And it was the pan that had issues
The gaskets didn't leak, the chicken poop they call welds did

Did you heat pickup off or on the engine? Noticed you were out at the end. Did that not affect the pipe seal to screen assembly?
I removed the pickup from the engine & oil pump and put it in a vise, got a blowtorch on an existing bend and bent it a little, refit/check, did it a couple times to get it where I wanted. Had to twist it a bit to get the screen to sit flatter (still not 100% but it's better than it was) did not seem to compromise the seal at the screen.
If you do it on the engine you would probably crack or damage the tube where it screws into the pump - the milodon tube is thinner here to try to get a bigger inlet to the oil pump.

From what I've read on here over the past 2-3 years I would not be using any of their stuff responsible for lubricating the engine.

Not a fan of long p/up tubes. Last 440 I built, I made a brace that bolted the p/up head to the w/tray. It keeps everything rigid & free from vibration. I would do the same with this engine if I was building it.

-
Back