Air/Fuel gauge

-

ktcnn94

Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding an air fuel gauge to my 71 swinger so I can try and get the carb dialed in a little better. I'm sure everyone has opinions on which one to use and some may even say they're not needed. Anyway if anyone has opinions on an economical brand or anything else like installation tips etc please let me know. Thanks guys and Merry Christmas.

money well spent...helped me sort out my engine easily when i was having problems.
i can adjust and or jet my carb accurately and easily
LMX-t installed easily too.

Forgive my ignorance but what is LMX-t, and also what gauge set up did you go with? Thanks.

I think wide band is the way to go after my last research on it.

I have an Innovative Motorsports LM2 and really like it. I consider it a must for tuning a carb for a street or street/strip car. It'll record up to five channels, you can review the recordings on a computer and see exactly where your tune is.

If you want to fine tune the carb, esp for street, but also for drag strip, a logger will help the learning curve. A gage alone will be harder to see the relationships and stuff that happens quick, but, you can set up a video camera to capture the tach and the A/F gage.

These threads might be helpful:
Wideband O2 sensor ("shoulda bought this years ago")

Anyone using an Innovate LM-2 A/F ratio datalogger

A/f vs. load overview and graphs
will be helpful for non-drag strip tuning. lots more good stuff on that forum too if you hunt a bit.

Another vote from me for the Innovate LM-2. it data logs to a mini-SD card and you can analyze the telemetry on a PC in great detail, the unit itself has an intuitive interface and a pretty basic graphic display.

As far as I'm aware it's the best bang-for-your-buck wideband O2 AFR device on the market.

I watched the demo video for it. A question to the guys running the Innovative Motorsports LM2,are you running a carb or fuel injection?

I went from carb to EFI.

A couple of random thoughts. You CAN eff up a sensor. Don't run the engine with the sensor in the pipe and unhooked. If the carb is so rich it barely runs, you should get the jetting "a lot closer" before you fire up the wideband.

Other things can ruin sensors including some chemicals and leaded fuel. You probably don't have any of that lying around, LOL Non compliant RTV sealer, etc will hurt the sensor.

Antifreeze or excessive oil can kill it as well.

I bought the Innovative kit as well and plan on swapping it from project to project as I dial things in. I have not installed it yet but thought I would use modular connectors and have them wired in so it would make things easier when I swap induction systems to reconnect the wide band.
phpThumb.php
phpThumb.php

I bought the Innovative kit as well and plan on swapping it from project to project as I dial things in. I have not installed it yet but thought I would use modular connectors and have them wired in so it would make things easier when I swap induction systems to reconnect the wide band.
phpThumb.php
phpThumb.php

Sorry but you completely lost me here. What connectors do you need? The wideband already has one, and it's in the exhaust.

What you have there are not really suitable for "under the hood."

Moving the gauge from car to car and back again.... Inside the car for the Red Black Brown Yellow and White wires...

vbpgimage.php
[/IMG]

Thanks fellers, very informative. I done some more reading and I'll probably go with mtx-l. Btw I'm gonna use it on my '71 swinger with dougs headers. Where are you guys installing the bung, down close to the collector where it's easy to get at or what. Thanks again.

Thanks fellers, very informative. I done some more reading and I'll probably go with mtx-l. Btw I'm gonna use it on my '71 swinger with dougs headers. Where are you guys installing the bung, down close to the collector where it's easy to get at or what. Thanks again.

I installed mine in the collector/reducer that bolts onto the headers so I wouldn't dick up the finish. If your going to run just one side, do the drivers side; it's known to be the lean side. Also adjust the bung so it's 10 degrees or so above perpendicular.

Other things can ruin sensors including some chemicals and leaded fuel. You probably don't have any of that lying around, LOL Non compliant RTV sealer, etc will hurt the sensor.l.

Will high octane racing gas affect the sensor negatively? :???:

AV gas?

leaded gas will shorten the live span of the 02 sensor.

With these units are there just one sensor or does each side get a sensor? I am not familiar with these at all.
Thanks Rod

With these units are there just one sensor or does each side get a sensor? I am not familiar with these at all.
Thanks Rod

Depends on which kit you buy. Innovative Motorsports sell them both ways, I'm sure others do too.

-
Back