Alignment Issue- water pump and damper pulleys

-

Franko

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had my 340 rebuilt. When installing the water pump and damper pulleys I noticed that the damper pulley is slightly closer to the block than is the water pump pulley. It's hard to tell but maybe 1/16" or more. I didn't notice if it was that way when I tore it apart.

It's a different block and I bought a new Mopar Performance damper, which had the timing mark on the drivers side. I cut a new mark on the passenger side to match my timing chain cover.

Has anybody ever encountered this? Do you know if anybody makes a special one piece shim for the damper?

Pretty sure there are two different depths of water pumps, so that may give you something to go on.
Even if for some reason you ended up with the exact opposite problem it would be a lot easier to deal with shimming the water pump instead of the damper.

That cast iron water pump uses a shallower pulley than the aluminum pump which uses a 3 inch deep pulley. You dont specify what you are using

I reused the same cast iron water pump, the same timing chain cover and the same pulleys. The only thing different is the block and the damper.

I've noticed differences in the thickness of aftermarket damper's compared to factory dampers. Seems the aftermarket is all over the place. I haven't used a MP damper so I'm not sure about them but it's a possibility.

Mancini sells a crank pulley spacer (and water pump spacers, etc). Unfortunately it looks like its 1/8" thick...

chucker54_2270_86879342

http://www.manciniracing.com/crpusp.html

So, you might need to pick up a .060" water pump spacer too...

http://www.manciniracing.com/wapupusp.html

Have you tried to mix and match different crank pulleys to see what may fit?

Attached is a picture of the pulley misalignment.

The oil slinger was installed. I don't have any other pulleys to examine. That Mancini Racing spacer is 1/8", whereas I need 1/16". So it would still be the same amount off.

The water pump pulley is stamped 36713/8 and the outside edge width (at the V) measures 5/8".

The damper pulley is stamped with an S and measures 3/4". So it is 1/8" wider than the water pump pulley.

Could these pulleys be a mismatch for a 69 340?

Does anybody have 68 or 69 340 pulleys to compare? I believe that things changed in 70.

Attachments

• IMG_0451.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 216
Attached is a picture of the pulley misalignment.

The oil slinger was installed. I don't have any other pulleys to examine. That Mancini Racing spacer is 1/8", whereas I need 1/16". So it would still be the same amount off.

The water pump pulley is stamped 36713/8 and the outside edge width (at the V) measures 5/8".

The damper pulley is stamped with an S and measures 3/4". So it is 1/8" wider than the water pump pulley.

Could these pulleys be a mismatch for a 69 340?

Does anybody have 68 or 69 340 pulleys to compare? I believe that things changed in 70.

Yes, they did change in 70 when they switched from the cast iron water pump to the aluminum water pump. The pulleys are different.

There are also two different bolt patterns for the crank pulley, symmetrical & non-symmetrical.

According to the early edition of How to Rebuild Your SB Mopar, the offset bolt pattern was used from '64-'71, and the symmetrical bolt pattern was used after '72.

So, if you have a symmetrical bolt pattern on your crank pulley, it is from the 72 and later vintage, and the depth should be different.

They did make offset pulleys for both the cast iron AND aluminum water pump engines which should have different depths.

Also, the alternator brackets are different for the different vintage water pumps, make sure that you have the proper alt brackets....

The early water pump pulleys are more "square" with the depth, where the 70 & later have a "chamfer" in the profile for lack of better terms.

What exactly are you working on? A 69 340, with or without A/C.

This 340 is dated late 1970 and is out of a 71 Duster along with the matching heads. Almost everything else are probably 1969 parts. This was in my 69 Dart Swinger which had manual steering, no power brakes and no air conditioning.

The bolt pattern on the damper pulley is non symmetrical.

-
Back