All Hail The Road Salvage Gods!!!!!

-
Does stuff along the road with a free sign count? If so, then 4 gas trimmers, an antique ice box (pre-electricity fridge for those who don't know), various tires, metal shelving, a large antique wooden desk, some cabinets, etc.

If "free" signs don't count, then mostly tarp straps and wheelcovers. And a grille for a Chrysler Sebring. An aluminum truck cap. Couple ratchet straps. I stop for just about anything. Drives my wife nuts. I yell at her if we are going somewhere with her driving and she passes up a tarp strap. She says I have a disorder.

Does stuff along the road with a free sign count? If so, then 4 gas trimmers, an antique ice box (pre-electricity fridge for those who don't know), various tires, metal shelving, a large antique wooden desk, some cabinets, etc.

If "free" signs don't count, then mostly tarp straps and wheelcovers. And a grille for a Chrysler Sebring. An aluminum truck cap. Couple ratchet straps. I stop for just about anything. Drives my wife nuts. I yell at her if we are going somewhere with her driving and she passes up a tarp strap. She says I have a disorder.

Lol, show her this thread and tell her you're not alone. :D

I was out for a cruise in 1998 & I spotted something orange that looked familiar at the end of a dirt road. It turned out to be a 1969 unit with a 3.23 suregrip & 11" rear drums from a B-body. The housing had a slight bend which I took to a shop to have straightened. I had to run the Barracuda home & get the truck. :)

Attachments

• RIM00096.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 233
  • RIM00097.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 225
On the way back from Dallas, Georgia, west of Atlanta to see a friend about some Mopar stuff, I saw something on the inside shoulder of I-20 East. "It couldn't be, I thought. So, I jumped on the next exit and turned around. Got back on east bound again and sho nuff. There on the left shoulder was a blown semi tire. With a solid aluminum Alcoa wheel still in it. I chunked it in the back of the truck and added it to my scrap pile when I got home.

I am sure people have found all types of crap and good crap too.I have found tools,good ones ,all types of auto parts and lots of scrap as well,which I toss in the truck for scrap as well.But this is a double edge sword,as one time my late son and I coming back from a hockey tournament,the truck ahead of us ran over a exhaust pipe on the road and sent it back into the glass right at my son and caused us to hit the side wall of the highway doing serious damage to the truck.No one hurt but scares to **** out of you as to what might have happened,mrmopartech

I am sure people have found all types of crap and good crap too.I have found tools,good ones ,all types of auto parts and lots of scrap as well,which I toss in the truck for scrap as well.But this is a double edge sword,as one time my late son and I coming back from a hockey tournament,the truck ahead of us ran over a exhaust pipe on the road and sent it back into the glass right at my son and caused us to hit the side wall of the highway doing serious damage to the truck.No one hurt but scares to **** out of you as to what might have happened,mrmopartech

Thank God everyone was safe after that ordeal!!! No, the RSG do not condone unsafe conditions, or leave scrap in the road! They do, however, applaud anyone who stops to pick up dangerous items in the roadway, and if it has scrap value all the better! The RSG favor the "recycling" lifestyle, both in their return of good items into service, and also to keep our world clean and pleasant!!

I was out for a cruise in 1998 & I spotted something orange that looked familiar at the end of a dirt road. It turned out to be a 1969 unit with a 3.23 suregrip & 11" rear drums from a B-body. The housing had a slight bend which I took to a shop to have straightened. I had to run the Barracuda home & get the truck. :)

That may be the single best road salvage ever!! How bizarre that it would even be chrysler, have a Suregrip, and be from a B body!!!! Very strange indeed!!!

A month or so ago, after a snowstorm, I had just left my house and was literally right around the corner from home. I stopped at a stop sign, and my wife called me about something. While I sat there talking to her, I looked to my left and saw something sticking out of the snow in the road. I hopped out and picked it up, and found a Milwaukee M18 Red Lithium flashlight. When I got back in the car, I found it worked AND it had a full battery! The Roadside Salvage Gods were smiling on me that night!

Unfortunately, I was not able to keep the flashlight. I was at a neighbors house a few days later and noticed he had a Milwaukee M18 battery charger and 2 batteries. I mentioned them, and he said it was for his flashlight, but a neighbor kid had borrowed it and then lost it. At this point, I had to play the good neighbor and give him back his flashlight. It was nice while it lasted, but I couldn't do that to a neighbor. Besides, maybe karma will work with the RSG and give me something even better next time!

A month or so ago, after a snowstorm, I had just left my house and was literally right around the corner from home. I stopped at a stop sign, and my wife called me about something. While I sat there talking to her, I looked to my left and saw something sticking out of the snow in the road. I hopped out and picked it up, and found a Milwaukee M18 Red Lithium flashlight. When I got back in the car, I found it worked AND it had a full battery! The Roadside Salvage Gods were smiling on me that night!

Unfortunately, I was not able to keep the flashlight. I was at a neighbors house a few days later and noticed he had a Milwaukee M18 battery charger and 2 batteries. I mentioned them, and he said it was for his flashlight, but a neighbor kid had borrowed it and then lost it. At this point, I had to play the good neighbor and give him back his flashlight. It was nice while it lasted, but I couldn't do that to a neighbor. Besides, maybe karma will work with the RSG and give me something even better next time!

You, Grasshopper, have been given, and have passed, a very important test, and right of passage, in the congregation of RSG followers!! Giving back the drill has surely opened the doors for more, and more importantly, more important gifts from above! Welcome to the firm believers club, level 2 on your radial dial!! Snap On tools and NIB items are surely going to be part of your growth as an RSG elite member, and what riches untold may come your way??? Only they know!!!!...........

Well A38, after further review, the RSG have given a verdict.....free stuff at the road is technically NOT roadsalvage as given by them, but is instead given by the homeowner in the spirit of the RSG!! Kudos for picking it all up too, and helping the RSG make the world a cleaner place!!

And with that said, bonus points your way also for bugging the wife with your steadfast belief that no gift given can be passed up!! Extra credit also for sharing the experience with her, despite her disapproval!!! Geof

Back around 1983 someone dumped an entire, assembled front clip for a '79 Z28 on the street in one of Philadelphia's most affluent neighborhoods. Left in a small parking lot in a park, actually. I saw it and went and got a couple of friends to help me load it in my D-150.
I then traded it to a Chevy guy I worked with for a 1965 Dart GT in overall very good condition, with the exception of a bent spindle and lower control arm. My first Dart...

Found these in the middle of a busy intersection back in 98. Mid day downtown Orlando. I had some confused drivers behind me when they seen me stop and jump out of my cuda. I didn't dally and got quickly back on my way.
It is the best tool the gods have left for me on the road. I would have preferred them to do so in a less traffic crowded area though.

Attachments

• IMG_20150327_162917_264.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 188
On the road. One pair of Klein pliers.

Attachments

• 20150330_100242 (Large).jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 20150330_100356 (Large).jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 169
My best find ever was a brand new cooler. It must have fallen out of a pickup and slid on the pavement for quite a while because the bottom side had severe road rash... But I opened the lid and it was completely full of beer and ice! I swear, I could hear the angels singing when I flung that lid open!

My best find ever was a brand new cooler. It must have fallen out of a pickup and slid on the pavement for quite a while because the bottom side had severe road rash... But I opened the lid and it was completely full of beer and ice! I swear, I could hear the angels singing when I flung that lid open!

Yes, there was singing, and much ballyhoo amongst the RSG that day, as a cooler is full of beer is not on their regularly scheduled drop offs, but obviously was well received, went to the right home, and made a firm believer out of the receipient!! No better way to a mans heart than through that which he loves! Since they can't leave women, beer is obviously the next best choice!!

I must tell everyone who posted their finds so far, the RSG are revelling with glee at your proud ownership of some very nice tools and items! They are overjoyed that the receipients of their gifts, both great and small, are proudly displaying them here for all to see! Though we can't all find a SG rearend painted orange, or cases of ice cold beer, it is my firm belief, and theirs also, that they are all awesome gifts, and are just some in the lifelong pursuit of the grace and favor of the RSG!!

Keep up the good work everybody, help spread the word, and keep your eyes on the fog lines, like they taught us to do so long ago!! Yes, the RSG had a hand in drivers Ed!!! Enjoy the day all, and happy hunting!! Geof

Found on the way home from work, and it works. Don't know why it's sideways.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 194
Last week, saw a khaki-colored handbag right on the white line. Had a bowling ball in it. That could have been BAD!

-
Back