All Hail The Road Salvage Gods!!!!!

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, cosgig here!! I'm starting this fun thread as a tribute to the almighty "Road Salvage Gods"....you know, the higher ups who put stuff for us to find along the side of the road?? There has been a longstanding belief amongst me and my crew that yes, the road salvage gods are in fact real, they are looking down upon us, and showering us with gifts from above! Why, just yesterday I was out walking the dog when I looked down on the side of the road, and there is was, a sweet drift punch, looking forlorn, and hardly used for that matter! Not 2 weeks ago I actually stopped with the kids when I saw a flat bar sitting on the side of the road, waiting, wanting someone to pick it up!! The kids thought I was crazy, but no, a new pry bar is nothing to sneeze at!!

I have a profound allegiance to the Road Salvage Gods, and firmly believe that they bless us with tools, materials, and other items to make our lives brighter, happier, and give us hope for a better tomorrow!! Now, I also believe that they also take exception to a person NOT stopping for a nice tool or item, and that to anger them will result in no more gifts from above!!

What say everyone, how many believers do we have here! I'm not talking about rummaging through, or stopping at a persons pile of cans at the curb, although I do that too, but the real gifts from above, the well placed item, the tool, the brand new in the box 100' roll of plastic, the .....well, you get the picture!!

So post em up, your prizes, your beliefs, your setbacks!! Happy hunting all, the Road Salvage Gods are watching!!!! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 413
I have not yet been blessed by the Road Salvage Gods. Perhaps I have unknowingly passed by their gifts one too many times and have now been smitten.

Personally I am terrified of your road salvage gods. I almost met my maker due to a tractor trailer kicking up a 1" wood drill bit that came through my drivers side window past my head and put a hole in my passenger side seat. Since then I have kept that bit in the door pocket as a omen.

Thanks
James

some years back I worked on a big time K C golf course, actually 2 courses, 1000 ac including 200 ac being sold for lots , out on the edge of town... some $ 500,000 lots...ea! LOL ( I can' help laughing)... in the winter they kept a pretty good size crew, but most winter days , when nothing going, on Jim and I would get on a cart and " get lost".
sometimes take the gun and do another bird or deer hunting. like I said, 1000 ac. LOL winter as great!!

but one day, the Boss caught us before taking off, suggested we walk down the highway and "pick up some trash" and pretty it up. O K so we grab a couple of sacks, some gloves, and off we go, I find this old hammer! very usable! it will be a good day. hey, i'm excited!!! then Jim ( also called Gordito by the Spanish speaking guys there), he found this paper bag. something is i n it! money maybe???? NOooooo/ he opens it up there there is a dildo, an artificial ******, and what appears to be used condom! LOL I can't help it! its still funny to this day! LOL

Ah yes,
These gods have smiled on me many times as well. I think the secret to receiving the blessings of the Salvage Gods is that you must NEVER under any circumstance refuse an offering. Over the course of my life I have picked up countless Screwdrivers, Wrenches, Sockets, Pliers, Drill bits, Nuts and Bolts, Gas cans, Oil Change pans, Hose clamps, Rebar and on and on....If you see it you must accept the offering and Yes many times you will have to turn around to go get it as it's in the other lane or you just caught it out of the corner of your eye. Craftsmen tools are a favorite because no matter how badly damaged you can return for a new one. Here's a pic of one of the greatest offerings I received....when I lived in So.Cal driving the Ortega Hwy.I rounded one of the many corners and there it was the Salvage Gods offered up to me this awesome Starrett Vice..........Screeeeeeeeech!

***An added benefit of never passing up an offering is that it drives the Ol' Lady nuts ***

Attachments

• 20150327_093126.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 389
some years back I worked on a big time K C golf course, actually 2 courses, 1000 ac including 200 ac being sold for lots , out on the edge of town... some $ 500,000 lots...ea! LOL ( I can' help laughing)... in the winter they kept a pretty good size crew, but most winter days , when nothing going, on Jim and I would get on a cart and " get lost".
sometimes take the gun and do another bird or deer hunting. like I said, 1000 ac. LOL winter as great!!

but one day, the Boss caught us before taking off, suggested we walk down the highway and "pick up some trash" and pretty it up. O K so we grab a couple of sacks, some gloves, and off we go, I find this old hammer! very usable! it will be a good day. hey, i'm excited!!! then Jim ( also called Gordito by the Spanish speaking guys there), he found this paper bag. something is i n it! money maybe???? NOooooo/ he opens it up there there is a dildo, an artificial ******, and what appears to be used condom! LOL I can't help it! its still funny to this day! LOL

Ewww,
Hope you washed it off before you used it........hahaha!

I think the best offering i picked up was a damn near complete box set of stanley proto sockets.

I had all 3 drive sizes, metric and SAE, deep and shallow, along with extensions and one 3/8 drive wratchet. I had spare socket rails, and when i organized these i was missing only a few sockets

The case was open, and this stuff was scattered all along the road on both sides. My wife and i spent about 20 minutes picking it all up, and getting out of the way for cars. I felt like i was playing the frogger video game in real life LOL.

I have found lots of other cool stuff. Hammers, tow chains, gas can etc.

How about junkyard tool finds?? I have found crapsman wratchets, wrenches, sockets, and a nice pair of mac long handle needlenose plyers, and a nice pair of vise grips clamped on a car door as a window crank handle.

So he found hisself a pocket pussy LOL.

Personally I am terrified of your road salvage gods. I almost met my maker due to a tractor trailer kicking up a 1" wood drill bit that came through my drivers side window past my head and put a hole in my passenger side seat. Since then I have kept that bit in the door pocket as a omen.

Thanks
James

Alas, if there were only more believers, that drill bit would NOT have been there at all!!......

i'm just waiting to find a nice old Mopar sitting beside the Interstate, with the little orange sticker on it saying move it!!!! run home and get the trailer!!!!! Yea

and this reminds me of the time a friend of mine up in N W Mo. he would go to Kansas city, city's auction for whatever vehicles they would have in this impound yard. he picks up this roller: gave him a $1000 for a complete, 69 Coronet RT 4 speed car. staright no rust, nut missing the engine? trans. dana even still there. NO figure! about 1993 or so.....

and then couple months later he's in this speed shop in st joe, mo. there sitting in the customer for sale table, the fresh air breather for this particular (440 ) car, he sells it to me (at a profit) for $50. few days later , he tells me I got the "best of him" on that part, as he found out it was worth about $150. LOL

So far I haven't found much... I did run into a busy intersection in bowling green to grab a 2'-2.5' long 2" steel pipe tho! Makes a great cheater bar :D I also found a 1 gallon gas can and the Zodiac DVD.

I have found multiple items along the road.

The best one perhaps was several years ago over Ann Arbor way, I drove by what looked like a chain. Well, I had to go back and look, not only did I find a chain, but 3, twenty five foot lengths of 3/8" chain with a hook on each end and 4 ratchet type chain binders.

Cha ching!

Yes people, the RSG are great, they are wise, and not just a little mischievous, but they are also a safety minded bunch, and don't condone using crazy tactics to gain favor! The reward is not just the end game, but the wisdom, and the knowledge to use it wisely may be just as important!

As our brothers Bad Sport and HemiOutlaw have so eloquently illustrated, there are varying levels of loyalty to the RSG.....the casual observer, the loyal follower, the fanatic!! Only the fanatic would stop for a bungy cord, or dive out on the interstate for a nice length of chain, actions not condoned by the RSG!! However, it is the casual observer we need to commit here....saw it, "maybe I'll stop on the way back", or the ever popular "I don't have the time"!! That one may anger them most....I was severely punished for not stopping to get a HD receiver with adjustable ball height and sway bar pockets because I "didn't have time"!! Not so much as an empty Burger King wrapper for almost a year!!

Please talk to your family and friends and help get the word out here, and if you're a top lieutenant like HemiOutlaw, and it bugs the wife and kids when you stop, you know you'll have done your job!!! Geof

I picked up a 9/16 box end wrench once when I stopped to fix the flat I just had. The wrench was stuck in the tire and caused the flat. Also picked up an adjustable wrench that fell off a flatbed and landed on my hood.

And here I was waiting for the rain to stop so I can take a picture of my find as my eye's are always on the road side, I seen this thread and could not wait :blob::blob:
I believe I will continue to wait till I can post a picture of my key I found that was not happy in the back of someone's truck or trailer to find a new home here on the hill where it is a happy key now :cheers:

Fun thread Geof, creativity at it's best :color:

Every three months our KofC group cleans up a stretch of road in front of our church. We even have a sign that indicates that we have "adopted" this stretch of road as our own. We pick up mostly trash, but every once in a while the Gods smile upon us. One time a buddy had to bring his ten year old because mom had to work. The little guy found a ten dollar bill that another adult had stepped right over! That's been the biggest prize so far. Normally if we get a hubcap or trim ring, we'll prop them up against a light pole hoping to reunite them with their previous vehicle.

I've found tons of good stuff along the roads and streets over the years.
I always watch and stop.
Last year I found a live mortar round in its tube near an air base.

I have good luck in parking lots.

About 20+ years ago I was going into the grocery store and it was pooring rain.

Some big big woman almost backed over me with her suv.

I yelled and she flipped me the one finger salute.

As I was walking past her parking spot I found $35 that the cow had dropped in her fast escape.

So I actually got paid for almost being run over

I bought forget. I ( along with Gordito) found a baby grand pinao. it had landed in the colvert.....HARD......

now working on the golf course, driving that $50,000 Jacobson rough mover. see a $5 blowing out there is the grass. yep, you guessed It..... I would bail off that sucker while it was still going...... hey man that cash out there!!!!!! and those kind of golfers spend more than everyday for their Starbuck??????

This has been 10 or so years ago out in the middle of nowhere there was a cute little kitten. He was so scared when I caught him trying to squeeze through a woven wire fence. I don't have any digital pics of that day but here he is many years later. He has been quite a friend and the best gift from the roadside Gods I have ever received.

Attachments

• 20150125_221228.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 304
This has been 10 or so years ago out in the middle of nowhere there was a cute little kitten. He was so scared when I caught him trying to squeeze through a woven wire fence. I don't have any digital pics of that day but here he is many years later. He has been quite a friend and the best gift from the roadside Gods I have ever received.

You indeed have been blessed!! Is his name Amazon by chance??? :)

One time we were going to the drive-thru on a beer run when we found a craftsman 19.2 drill setting next to the curb, had my son jump out and grab it. Had a good battery on it too. Still works to this day. Also coming home one day someone lost a shopvac off their truck along highway. I turned around and grabbed that up.

No picture yet Geof :coffee2: But just 2 weeks ago I was driving to a friends house not 5 miles away one morning and off on the left side of the road a red handle was sticking up out of the ditch :???: I turned around and picked up a big giant key :cheers:
A 42'' set of bolt cutters like new condition :color: Yes the RSG ( Road Side Gods ) was good to me that day :D

-
Back