Alloy Heads

-

Stewie1977

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've decided to ditch the J heads I have for my 390 Stroker build & go with a set of Alloys. A place here in Aus has them complete, hand finished for $1350 a set & they flow close on 250cfm at .500 & 58cc chambers. I figure by the time i get valves, springs, retainers, hardened seats & all the machining work on mine I'll be looking at nearly that much anyway. So anyway my question is does this seem like a good deal, decent flow to suit the stroker & will my stock rocker covers fit them ? I'm trying to keem a stock engine look & didn't really want to go A/M alloy covers. Any coments are greatly appreciated.

The flowing abilty of the head, is general in its info. Are these "Alloy" heads Edelbrocks?
It's hard to put enough head on a stroker. Also, you gave NO info about your build, so it is hard to say anything about what would work and be a benifit over whT could be done with the iron J heads. They can be also ported out to OOTB Edelbrock levels.

Tell us about your build.

Sorry, should have put a bit more info. I'm building a 390 stroker. Was going to go for 10.5:1 comp, Lunati Voodo Hydraulic FT with 235/243 @ .050, .511/.533 lift. 1.5 Roller rockers, Eddy air gap & 800CFM Eddy Carb. The Alloy heads are by a company here called Aeroflow, new in the game but seem to have a pretty good reputation so far. Not sure where they get them from though. I would probably port match the heads to the manifold as well.

I tried to google search the company but did t find them. Do you have a web site for them? I'd like to review there heads and flow abilty's.
It really comes down to how the head flows & cost vs. what could be done to the J heads and there cost. As well as how much of a ceiling the alloys heads have & what they flow and cost.
(AKA porting them out and how far you can go at what cost?)

I'm waiting to get the full flow specs for them from Aeroflow. They're not up on their website yet, I've emailed them requesting all the info. They do have specs for the Chev small block heads, not sure how different they would be.
[ame]https://www.aeroflowperformance.com/media/custom/download/af95-2350.pdf[/ame]

OK cool. Let us know!
Generally speaking, your more than likely to bennifit from the alloy heads.
I myself am a hot street car builder. If it isn't punching the other clowns around, it gets done again until it's right. Alloy heads and roller cams are a norm. ;)

Think these heads were on display at sema last year and are being sold to different distributors to sell under there own names, haven't seen a set personally yet.

I'm running a set of edelbrock heads on my 66 VC valiant and have painted them red and I am also running the stock rocker covers.

Thanks for that Evil. I'm trying to keep it looking stock under the bonnet. Did you have to do anything to get them to fit or was it a straight bolt on ?
I got an email back from Aeroflow yesterday. This what they said.

Here are the specs for the Aeroflow SB Chrysler cylinder heads

installed height 1.8"
120 lbs installed pressure maximum lift .580" 1.46" O.D open pressure 320lbs @ .580" 2.02" intake valve size
1.6" exhaust valve size
176cc intake runner
75cc chamber size

intake flow specs
.200" .300" .400" .500" .600" 129 190 231 249 251

exhaust flow specs
.200" .300" .400" .500" .600" 108 144 170 183 190

Look pretty close to the Edelbrock heads from what I can see, but over $1000 cheaper.

installed height 1.8"
120 lbs installed pressure maximum lift .580" 1.46" O.D open pressure 320lbs @ .580" 2.02" intake valve size
1.6" exhaust valve size
176cc intake runner
75cc chamber size

intake flow specs
.200" .300" .400" .500" .600"
129 190 231 249 251
exhaust flow specs
.200" .300" .400" .500" .600"
108 144 170 183 190

Look pretty close to the Edelbrock heads from what I can see, but over $1000 cheaper.

How high are you lifting the valves?
They do look like Edelbrock specs. They will be a nice bolt on upgrade. Do what you can to increase low level lift flow.

I'm running a Lunati Voodoo. Lift is .513/.533.

Brand:Lunati

Manufacturer's Part Number:60404

Cam Style:Hydraulic flat tappet

Basic Operating RPM Range:2,200-6,400

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:234

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:242

Duration at 050 inch Lift:234 int./242 exh.

Advertised Intake Duration:276

Advertised Exhaust Duration:284

Advertised Duration:276 int./284 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.513 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.533 in.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.513 int./0.533 exh.

Lobe Separation (degrees):110

I think that'll be a pretty hot street machine.

That's the plan Rob. A nice tough streeter with the odd trip down the 1/4. I'm hoping for close to 500, but I may be a little ambitious lol.

Didn't have to do anything to fit the standard rocker covers besides a little bit of clear ancient near the ports of the inlet manifold ports from memory.

Don't think you will get near 500hp with these heads standard but if it's going in a VC even if has 400hp plus it will still be a fun street car with right gears and converter. VC valiants are pretty light.

I'll port match the inlet & the heads butyeah, i thought that might be a little ambitious. Think either my figures or my desktop dyno is way off. I did an input just now & it came back with 587hp at 6500 !!!! Looks like I may need to recalculate.

Rocket Industries in Sydney are Aeroflow. It's their cheaper Chinese made stuff. And I'd say they are yet another Chinese clone of the Edelbrock head .
Also they are smallblock CHEVY heads you have listed. Aeroflow do not show a listing for a LA head..

Desk top dyno? Enter actual head flow numbers and use a dual plane intake even though you may use a single plane. Actual comp. ratio to be entered. Large tube headers start at 1-7/8 - 2 inches.

These looks interesting. Finally us guys down here maybe get something cheap!

I have a very similar combo on a 366CID with 10.7cr.By most peoples reckoning around here thats pretty hot.(goes 93 in the 1/8) Im very pleased.
With your extra cubes it will be an especially HOT streeter.
BTW if they really come in at 58cc chambers, they will make a lot of cr with flat-tops and zero deck;so pick your pistons carefully.

58cc is going to skyrocket cylinder pressure on a flat top zero deck. I'm at 61-61.5cc-ish with .011" from zero deck flat tops with 5cc valve reliefs, .028" gasket on a .030" over 'teen and that puts it up at 9.65:1 min.

The same outfit on a 360 stock crank goes 10:1 A 390 stroker is going to put you well above 10.5:1.

I don't know how spendy your fuel is, but with a 58cc closed chamber, you might consider pocketed face valves, reliefs in the pistons to accomodate lift and help CC increase and get some Cometic gaskets at .039" to keep quench and keep it sealed, but bring cylinder pressure back down to Earth.

I would leave the cam at 3°adv.

Yes I do realise with the 58cc chambers I'll have to look at pistons again. I had planned on 10.5:1 with the J heads but can go a bit more with the alloy. I haven't done all the math yet but I'll sit down & work it out soon. Was already working it out with .039 head gaskets too. Bakerlite, I realise that the link I put up was for the Chev heads, the Mopar one's wern't listed & Rob was asking about Aeroflow as he said he couldn't find anything on them. From speaking to quiet a few people & doing a lot of research in the last few weeks/months, it appears SOME of the Chinese stuff has stepped up big time in quality. I'm still yet to see these heads in person, so I can't coment either way, but when I finally get to eye ball a set, before I buy them mind you, I'll let everyone know what they look like.

58cc is going to skyrocket cylinder pressure on a flat top zero deck. I'm at 61-61.5cc-ish with .011" from zero deck flat tops with 5cc valve reliefs, .028" gasket on a .030" over 'teen and that puts it up at 9.65:1 min.

The same outfit on a 360 stock crank goes 10:1 A 390 stroker is going to put you well above 10.5:1.

I don't know how spendy your fuel is, but with a 58cc closed chamber, you might consider pocketed face valves, reliefs in the pistons to accomodate lift and help CC increase and get some Cometic gaskets at .039" to keep quench and keep it sealed, but bring cylinder pressure back down to Earth.

I would leave the cam at 3°adv.

Aussie pump gas is awesome, 12.1 is no problem with alloy heads, as long as your not a fairy with the camshaft selection.

Stewie, sure, if you can see the heads in person then that's fine. But if it's mail order then it's a crapshoot because the Chinese quality control is all over the shop.

Aussie's fuel octane rating is what by what method?
I'm in New York with 10% ethonol, 12-1 ratio is possible with a large cam and aluminum heads as well.

-
Back