Am I doing this right?

-

Cameron1038

Reaction score
Hey folks, Im trying to put my steering linkage together and it seems wonky.

Based on the taper in the holes in the spindle/centerlink i cant imagine how else this would go. It just seems like too much angle going on here.. will this fix itself when i put the car on its own weight?

P.S. steering box and pitman are not in yet.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130421_184101.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 193
  • ForumRunner_20130421_184123.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 193
  • ForumRunner_20130421_184148.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 189
  • ForumRunner_20130421_184208.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 193
Also.. things are not tightened up, greased, yada yada.. just trying to make sure its right before i go together with it.

Thanks!

By the time you install the steering box and pitman arm the angle of the center link will change since that end won't be hanging down like it is.

It's not sitting right, but it depends on what year the idler/ pitman/ box are, and you must have the proper center link to match them. The older centerlink/ idler/ pitman (small spline) have the nut and small of the taper facing up and slightly forward on the pitman arm, with the nuts of the inboard tie rod ends facing to the rear

The newer center link/ idler/ pitman has all nuts facing down

YOU DO NOT simply take the center link and turn it upside down. The new/ old center links are different. The angles between the idler/ pitman tapers, and the inboard tie rod end tapers are different between the early/ late center link

"Early style" is top drawing, "Late" style at bottom

Attachments

• old.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 9,210
  • new.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 8,631
It looks like you have a late model center link, (73-newer ) The angle of the tie rod assem. will not be as bad once the weight of the car is on the ground.

-
Back