Amazing Dart on ebay, not mine though

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you bud, nice car!!!! The problem at least to me that this car is listed as a 29,000 mile car with much of its original paint and TONS of documentation. This guy did everything but list the car as a numbers matching 340 car. To me this is where it gets a little dicey. Was this car a slant six car or a 318 car as nothing else was available for a Dart in 72. In addition the car had only 29,000 miles on it. Who would want to tear out a driveline and alter a 29,000 mile car that is 35 years old. adding 71 scoops to a 72 was also a nice touch, NOT. The car stout as it is and pictured is a nice ride but even the color of the center caps on the rallye wheels was wrong. The guy went as far as one could to make this car seem it was the real deal without actually saying it. The bidding ended at 18,100 and the reserve was not even met. Not worth the money as it sat with the dents, scratches, and other flaws on the car. In absolute pristine condition and correct numbers matching driveline maybe but thats just me. Cars are getting WAY out of hand with the prices and these auctions on cable have alot to do with it.
Just the other day I saw an ad for an NOS 72 Dart grille. The guy was firm at $1500.00 dollars. This is the madness that is all around these days!

If you look at the dealer invoice it clearly states that this car came original with a /6 engine. It is a nice car though.

ChazRam said:
...This guy did everything but list the car as a numbers matching 340 car. To me this is where it gets a little dicey. Was this car a slant six car or a 318 car as nothing else was available for a Dart in 72. In addition the car had only 29,000 miles on it. Who would want to tear out a driveline and alter a 29,000 mile car that is 35 years old. adding 71 scoops to a 72 was also a nice touch, NOT.

On the contrary, I would commend the seller for being absolutely up front and NOT trying to deceive. The listing appears totally up front and factual to me.

Who would want to put a 340 in there? Scoops, pistol-grip, whatever? Why I would, to name one. Anyone who appreciates these touches in the Mopar world might as well, I suspect.

This is part of the problem in the collector car market these days, but not as you would imply. Why can't a car be taken for face value regardless of what modifications may have been done to it? Why, because the numbers-matching, totally original, all-else-be-damned muscle car snob crowd has managed to over inflate the market with this nonsense to the point where all but the most well-heeled are pretty much out of the picture these days.

But I do agree it was a bit high. Sorry for the rant.

i for 1 have seen this car in person. i saw it last year in carlisle. it is very straight and clean. the 340 was put in very nicely. pictures tell the story here. the car looks like the pictures exactly. i can't remember what he wanted for it but i do believe it was 20,000. is it worth 20k? well there is where opinion takes over......it would be turn key and ready for the showing as is or with basically no effort. it sounded great!

Gotta agree with Chaz on the prices these days. I need a set of grilles for my '69 Barracuda. There was a guy at MATS selling a pristine pair - $4,250. Shoot me. That's more than twice what I paid for the car.

Ace said:
This is part of the problem in the collector car market these days, but not as you would imply. Why can't a car be taken for face value regardless of what modifications may have been done to it? Why, because the numbers-matching, totally original, all-else-be-damned muscle car snob crowd has managed to over inflate the market with this nonsense to the point where all but the most well-heeled are pretty much out of the picture these days.

But I do agree it was a bit high. Sorry for the rant.

Yes, yes and yes to everyone who has chimed in.
But the above is exactly how I see it.
Prices on "collector" cars and Mopars in paticular are like the weather. Everyone complains but no one does anything about it.
For what it is worth I am on strike.
I refuse to be part of the problem.

I am not buying any car that I feel (operative word there) is either
A.Held by some dealer trying to make money on the car
or
B. Priced at more than I think the car should cost.
I will enjoy my cars that I have and drive them.
Investment??????
Sorry but I don't see it.
Sometimes less is best.

First off, its a beautiful car. But by no means was this guy tring to fool anyone (or i dont think he is ) 72 225 slants did not come with a 8 3/4 and a hurst shifter was not even an option. I like the scoops he put on and im gonna put them on my 72. Lets not rip his car ( well maybe his asking price) and enjoy that someone put in alot of time into a beauitful car.

sublimeswinger said:
First off, its a beautiful car. But by no means was this guy tring to fool anyone (or i dont think he is ) 72 225 slants did not come with a 8 3/4 and a hurst shifter was not even an option. I like the scoops he put on and im gonna put them on my 72. Lets not rip his car ( well maybe his asking price) and enjoy that someone put in alot of time into a beauitful car.

Again, you hit it right on the head.
He must not be trying to fool anyone.
And I sure hope that he COULDN'T with all the information laying right there. (DUH)

I just wonder what is going to happen to all those 25-50k "investments" in a few when us old baby boomers give it up.
Will junior really care THAT MUCH whether it is a REAL numbers matching Road Runner?
Will he care at all? He doesn't remember the car new.
Not to put to fine a point on it, but I see just a few musem pieces which will be very valuable and that is it.
Just like when the model T and A crowd checked out.
Drive it or sell it is my motto.
And I would drive this car. It is nice. :salute:

ChazRam said:
In addition the car had only 29,000 miles on it. Who would want to tear out a driveline and alter a 29,000 mile car that is 35 years old.

IM000513.jpg

IM000513.jpg

You don't get much for twenty grand these days. Thats a cool car, which is worth 20 G's, just as a driver. I hope he gets it, and so should all of you who own one. If yer buying,thats high,if yer selling,....well try building a NICE car for under 25 G's.

Nice one Adam...LOL

69 Swinger1 (Small).JPG

OK, maybe I did not word everything right and I wont waste alot of time trying to correct anything I may have put down in error! Myself, if I had a car with that little miles on it and all the documentation yada yada yada I would not have altered it but that is just me. I would not have minded owning it as it was that nice of a car. I have seen guys rip apart a car and tub it, roll cage it, and completely change the driveline and it was on a low production car but it was also a car that was beyond a restore to original as it would have cost more than doing it custom. I am facing it for what it is worth as I have been into a body cars for over 30 years waiting for the time they are worth something. Take a rusty beat up 69 Charger that is really better used for a boat anchor and it will sell for 10K. A Dart in the same condition will just end up a boat anchor, unless its a GTS big block car or something similar. These days a body cars are getting some second looks and prices have gone up. Mostly due to most of the cars being crushed and disposed of and also from auctions on the tube. The problem to me is you can have a nice a body car that is actually worth something but due to lack of parts and replacement cars not being around as much as just a few years ago driving them is scary. The hobby is a changing and will most surely get real expensive in the near future. I am just sticking with my trusty Dart Sport. As for the 72 Dart someone will get a decent car. 20K???? Not from me, just a little too much for a car that will not hold the value. Maybe its just me getting too old to be fooling around with in this crazy hobby!!!!!

I kinda agree with you. My last car was a cut up street/strip car. When I bought the Scamp it was so clean I couldnt bring myself to cut it. However a driveline swap can all ways be put back. My motor and trans were all ready gone when I got the car and I cant see it be any more valuable if it had the original slant 6 in it anyways.

As time goes on our cars will slowly be modified and be the hot rods of the future. You'll find a Barracuda or Dart or whatever with an electric drivetrain, 20" disc brakes, lazer cruise control and super dooper space-age suspension. Why? Because driving the car in original condition would mean certain death on roads covered with new cars carrying the above mentioned components.

It's just like driving around in a Model T (like someone mentioned above) just isn't practical any longer....but a Model T-bucket hot rod is considered cool and worth money. A Sunday cruiser museum Model T is cool and great for a parade, but that's all. One day our cars will be the Model T's.

I am the high bidder so far.
the banker said OK. Lets see :love4:

I got the shipping charge picked up by the owner if I get the high bid.

Ok !! I am full of sh%#.
Man that is an incredible car.
I wonder what it would take to get it??

These are what appear to be the facts of the case to me. (Joe Friday)
1.The dealer has lowered the reserve.
2.Apparently someone is willing to pay 18K for the car.
3.At this point in time, the car is worth at least that amount to the dealer.
4.No one posting on this thread is willing (or able) to pay that amount.
(I’m the first category.)

It is my contention that it only takes two people set the value of any item:
The buyer and the seller.
And of course, some things aren’t for sale at any price.

Someone once said there is nothing more surefooted than a Chrysler torsion bar suspension.
With my poly-bushing and factory sway bar (or is ANTI-sway) front end I am inclined to agree.
I am currently getting 23 mph and hope to better that when I upgrade to headers and duels. And I could build the car again on a budget if I could get the body again for 450 dollars. And for a LOT less than 18K. But I admit it isn't as quite nice as this car. And that is with me doing all of the work.
I don’t know if my Dart will become obsolete in any foreseeable amount of time.
I don’t know if it will become unsafe to drive among other vehicles.
Right now I can pass most things on the road.
But I do feel that at some point many cars which are being marketed as “investments” will loose value due to loss of market demographics. Just like the older “classic” cars. Especially when adjusted for inflation.
And I AM surprised at the amount SOME people pay for custom “street rods”.
I suppose some people just like white elephants.
There are curiosities.
Both people and cars
:scratch:

nice car but, of course, not #'s matching. is that a big deal? to some yes, to others no. 18,000 + and reserve not met?? too rich for my blood. clean car though. he did say it was documented well, just never said that the 340/4spd part was documented....honest but worded kind of sneakily if your not sharp.

yes they did put 8 3/4 in slant 6 and 318 cars in 71 and 72. my buddy got a few at the junkyards a few years ago. they did this to get rid of them for the upcoming 8 1/4 in the 73 year. i highly doubt it was coincidence that a few different darts/valiants had an 8 3/4 put in and then sent to the scrapper.

Thats a nice clean original 72 /6 Dart bench seat that someone stuck a 4sp and 340 in. It's not a survivor now since it's modified.

Is it worth $18K. Hell no. Maybe to some ding dong.

The ad is trys to mislead and misguide. Why would tons of docs on a /6 car with a motor swap be very desirable. Does it come with all the /6 parts they took off of it. Docs mean nothing then.

I see a $5-6K 1972 /6 with a $4K motor, a $2K 4spd setup, and $2-3K in labor. All rolled up into a car that is not really much of a clone since they didn't make 72 340 swingers expect in Canada. And 72 Biege Darts aren't the most desired clone A-body out there.

There's a reason this car has been for sale since last Carisle.

According to your price list there's at least $14k in it, and it's not getting any younger. What's your point, don't like it? Take a poll of the comments in this thread, then tell us who the ding dong is.

That '68 vert ("survivor? - yeah, just barely alive, I'll bet) in your garage looks a little rough, maybe someone's just jealous...

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back