Amazing Dart on ebay, not mine though

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, the bottom line is can i afford it? no. But there are alot of people who can. Us here put allot of time,money, swet and bloody knuckles into our cars. But there are people out there, with todays busy schedules and all, that are willing to fork out the extra cash for a car thats done. To me my time i spend on my car does not have a dollar value, but to some it does. Does it bother me that some buy their cars all "FINISHED" and others build them how they want? No.If i put the time and money into my car that it seems he put in his, and someone was willing to give me $18,000, I would be honered. Job well done. Doesn't mean id sell it though.
By the way, with the prices of cars today you could probally drive a loaded Honda CVIC or this nice 72 American Muscle car, that is nothing to be ashamed of.
Your choice........I ll take the 72.

It used to be a truism that one would never get the cost of a restoration out of any restored car.
Selling it would invariably result in a “loss”. Perhaps this has changed? Or was it not the case?
Haven’t we all seen ads where the seller tells how much he has in the car, but he will sell it for less?
In fact, just a few years ago, I remember reading one of the restoration “authorities” say that he would not consider putting restoration money into any Mopars except a Hemi car or Six Pac. For that very reason.
That came from someone in it for the money.
At any rate my cars would be an exception. I have very little money in them by any scale.
But I have time invested. That counts I suppose.
If not, then I could make a good deal of money.
Besides, they are not “restored”.
They are built Mopar “stock”. I have made Mopar upgrades.
I built them to like I wanted them and with driving in mind.

I would drive this car too. Looks like a good Mopar for that.
But I wouldn't pay that much. My choice.
I hope that makes ME a survivor.

Ace said:
According to your price list there's at least $14k in it, and it's not getting any younger. What's your point, don't like it? Take a poll of the comments in this thread, then tell us who the ding dong is.

That '68 vert ("survivor? - yeah, just barely alive, I'll bet) in your garage looks a little rough, maybe someone's just jealous...

Yea it's rough I bought it for $4300. It was advertised for more though. And I think I paid too much for it, 2002.

Both side 1/4 window drain holes were plugged for years and it's rusted from inside out. Trunk and everthing else rust free, certainly not ding and dent free though. I drove it round trip 80 miles to work every day for two years. Drove it yesterday. 360, 727, 340 mlds, 69 340 hood w/inserts, cnsl, A/C, 8 3/4, disk conv, FF str box, just like the day I bought it.

On this 72, my point is that its over market value. And the fact that it has been for sale for an entire year seems to agree with that. Cars with much more going for them can be bought for that price. Just cause you put a certain amount of money into a car doen't mean you'll get it out of it.

I think it looks a little better in the pics. White doesn't show imperfections in print well. Seller admits there are touched up small nicks and a few dents. Definetly not a new paint job. Not a paint job from a "FINISHED" car. It's really straight and totally rust free though.

It's a really nice car. And it's been upgraded very tastefully, cleanly, and well thought out. But $18K is too much. It's certainly possible to put 340/4spd/8/4 swaps that would cost $8K to have professionally done into cars and not have them go up $8K in value

I think $14K might be pushing it.

Its just not worth the price, for a clone with a bad paint job in need of bodywork. Also the car has been restifed with undeterminable quality. It would be a steal at $5k, a good deal at $10k, but not worth $20k.

I wouldn't pay that much for it either, well cos I don't have that kind of money to spend, that doesn't mean it's not a real nice car.

My original post was that it was an amazing Dart, not an amazingly "priced" Dart, that would be a diff post :)

flyboy01 said:
Its just not worth the price, for a clone with a bad paint job in need of bodywork. Also the car has been restifed with undeterminable quality. It would be a steal at $5k, a good deal at $10k, but not worth $20k.

I think pretty minor body work. Tough to tell with white painted cars in pictures though. I think 8K-12K. But that's a west coast price too. This car will go for more back east.

Lets stop and think of what it cost to build a nice car no a days. Heres a quick run down on my Scamp.

71 Scamp, no motor or trans and a 71/4" rear. The car was solid and most of it was there. No rust original good paint
$2500 Sounds like a lot but try and find something this solid on the east coast. I feel it was a deal

Fresh 480hp 340 even got it dynod for free. a deal at 2500

Fresh 904, low 1st gear manual valve body and Turbo Action 8" converter $500

New carpet $150

TTI headers $700

I still need an 8-3/4" rear. after pricing around Im looking at over $1000

rims and tires another $600

The rest of the TTI exhuast will be another $500

front suspension and brake rebuiild will be right around $1000

Im still under $10,000. I guess he is a bit high, LOL

sdolsay said:
My original post was that it was an amazing Dart, not an amazingly "priced" Dart, that would be a diff post :)

Ah, yes - the crux of the matter. Touche' :toothy7:

Anythings worth is purely subjective. As was mentioned before, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and then, it's only worth that amount to the person that paid it. Is gas worth $3.00 a gallon? Yes, if I don't have any and can't get it cheaper anywhere else. It all depends on the circumstances.

I know I'll never get back the $8,000 I'll have in my Ramcharger, but I don't care. It'll be better than new and built for exactly what I want it do. Plus, it's cheap to insure and way cheaper than a new 1/2 ton truck. Of course that $8,000 figure covers only parts and materials and does not cover labor! I have not logged my hours because it's the "doing" that gives me joy, not the buying. I've had countless people wonder why I would put so much time into such a turd, but I just turn around and ask them how they spend thier free time. Usually it's "watching TV, going to movies, or sitting at a bar". "Well" I say, "It sounds like time well spent, what's your return on these activities?". That usually shuts them up.

Anyway, it is America and if someone wants to spend 100 g's (or 20 g's) on a /6 Dart, well, more power them i guess but that doesn't make that same car worth 100 g's to me. Cars will always fluctuate in value just like any other commodity, but I'm a bottom feeder and will always look for the best car for the least money that I won't feel guilty about modifying.

HA, Ramcharger, you beat me to it, I was just gonna comment on the labor aspect, when we add up the cost of restoring our cars we tend to leave this cost out. I believe if we truely added this in it would raise the cost signifintly.

When I was looking for a car I only looked at cars that didn't need much body work, there is talent needed to do good body work, I can't afford to pay for that, but I can turn a wrench :)

ramcharger said:
...I'm a bottom feeder and will always look for the best car for the least money that I won't feel guilty about modifying.

Oh, I hear ya! Almost all the vehicles I've ever had my whole life started out as what most people would consider good candidates for the scrapyard. Even my newish Ram 1500 was a steal with a bad tranny. Fixed it myself and had a good truck for next to nothing. Only new cars I ever bought were for the wife, and I rarely ever touched them except to do maintenance.

sdolsay said:
HA, Ramcharger, you beat me to it, I was just gonna comment on the labor aspect, when we add up the cost of restoring our cars we tend to leave this cost out. I believe if we truely added this in it would raise the cost signifintly.

Oh yeah man! I would hazard a guess of hmm.....400 hours or so at this point? Whats that worth at dealership rates? Then again I can drink beer and crank tunes while I weld and fabricate away. Can't really get away with that at a legit shop anymore. :toothy7:

Ace said:
Oh, I hear ya! Almost all the vehicles I've ever had my whole life started out as what most people would consider good candidates for the scrapyard. Even my newish Ram 1500 was a steal with a bad tranny. Fixed it myself and had a good truck for next to nothing. Only new cars I ever bought were for the wife, and I rarely ever touched them except to do maintenance.

Yessir! Got the old '74 Ramcharger for $400 complete with rusty headers and four different size tires LOL! But what the heck, I was able to drive it home and it cost less than single payment on my 2001 Dodge Ram Offroadster. The rust is horrible though so I can't believe that it's an original Colorado truck.

It's getting close though, I figure driveable before the end of the summer and body and paint by next spring. :cheers:

Tell me your secret Adam. Damn, I'm over 25 G's, and still pumping in the dough, and yes, I do all my own work, except body.

69 Swinger1 (Small).JPG

ramcharger said:
I've had countless people wonder why I would put so much time into such a turd, but I just turn around and ask them how they spend thier free time. Usually it's "watching TV, going to movies, or sitting at a bar". "Well" I say, "It sounds like time well spent, what's your return on these activities?". That usually shuts them up.

Oh,oh,oh. Mr. Kotter.
That is flawless. Hope I get to use it some day.

California? West coast prices?
Well, how are things on the west coast? Looking real fine?
I miss it.
I spent three years in Seattle and drove my Dart there from the East coast.
It seems like EVERYONE there, who has an old car, DRIVES it.
(Like me)
When I had to pack up and come home I put a mini-trailer behind it and drove back with my tools. If ever get time to figure it how, I will put a picture of me in the middle of Wyoming with the trailer behind it.
It’s mighty lonesome out there.

ramcharger said:
Anythings worth is purely subjective. As was mentioned before, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and then, it's only worth that amount to the person that paid it. Is gas worth $3.00 a gallon? Yes, if I don't have any and can't get it cheaper anywhere else. It all depends on the circumstances.

I know I'll never get back the $8,000 I'll have in my Ramcharger, but I don't care. It'll be better than new and built for exactly what I want it do. Plus, it's cheap to insure and way cheaper than a new 1/2 ton truck. Of course that $8,000 figure covers only parts and materials and does not cover labor! I have not logged my hours because it's the "doing" that gives me joy, not the buying. I've had countless people wonder why I would put so much time into such a turd, but I just turn around and ask them how they spend thier free time. Usually it's "watching TV, going to movies, or sitting at a bar". "Well" I say, "It sounds like time well spent, what's your return on these activities?". That usually shuts them up.

Anyway, it is America and if someone wants to spend 100 g's (or 20 g's) on a /6 Dart, well, more power them i guess but that doesn't make that same car worth 100 g's to me. Cars will always fluctuate in value just like any other commodity, but I'm a bottom feeder and will always look for the best car for the least money that I won't feel guilty about modifying.
Don't make me defend that fine Ramcharger ramcharger!!
If some one thinks its a turd they are lonely and have not a clue what it is like to have a great relationship with a girl or a great Mopar.
it would be easy for me to spend time and money
on a super Ramcharger like you have going period.
If you get tiered of it or want a change in life. Call me..

Words well put sir. :coffee2:

ramcharger, you would love to see my buddy's collection of trucks. he has an old 68 4x4 firetruck, just got a 73 parks district 4x4 1 ton flat bed that he is putting a 9 ft stepside on it, and i think still has his 4x4 1 ton longbed that is really nice.

man, ace, why do you got to rip into people so hard? we all have good vehicles here, some in better shape than other but we all have brought them back in some form or another and got to start somewhere.

adam, how the hell do you get a 480hp 340 for 2500.00 and then get it dynoed for free??? not just that, but a 904 trans with a good valve body for 500.00??i have probably 25k + in my car and i am still not done.

It was on Ebay back in April and had a (buy it now) for $23,995

Not worth that to me either but I can't even get my horn problem figured out ...so what the hell do I know ... Ha..Ha..

:wav:

memike said:
Don't make me defend that fine Ramcharger ramcharger!!
If some one thinks its a turd they are lonely and have not a clue what it is like to have a great relationship with a girl or a great Mopar.
it would be easy for me to spend time and money
on a super Ramcharger like you have going period.
If you get tiered of it or want a change in life. Call me..

Words well put sir. :coffee2:

Thank you for the kind words Mike! You're a good man! :thumbup: Just completed the rear axle, boxed in the lower shock mounts, added the extra spring into the spring pack, finished up the rear brakes minus brake lines, had the dash powdercoated and fabbed up some aluminum diamond plate trim pieces to replace the old fake wood stuff. It's coming right along!

redfastback said:
ramcharger, you would love to see my buddy's collection of trucks. he has an old 68 4x4 firetruck, just got a 73 parks district 4x4 1 ton flat bed that he is putting a 9 ft stepside on it, and i think still has his 4x4 1 ton longbed that is really nice.

Very cool stuff. I'd really like to see a pic of that fire truck! Living here in Colorado pretty much mandates having a 4WD to get around the outdoors (Camping, fishing, etc.) and towing the fiance's race car, plus I'll need the truck to tow home my new project A-Body when the time comes. I've seen at least two or three darts out here in restorable (but not necessarily driveable) condition for under $1500, so I know their out there.

MtNemoMopar said:
Tell me your secret Adam. Damn, I'm over 25 G's, and still pumping in the dough, and yes, I do all my own work, except body.

I got a few screaming deals ( motor and trans) didnt count the little stuff and Im no weres near finished , LOL. Im sure when its done it will be right up there but Im not relly keeping tack on this on.

When I first started the Swinger, my wife set up a spreadsheet to help me(um..her) keep track of the cost.Somehow, I accidently deleted the whole document.Oops.
Anyway, I guess the prices might seem to reflect the value to some people(me included), I suppose the "little stuff" you do after the purchase could put you in the poor house.

I forgot to add the new gas tank $250, sending unit $150 and all new brake, fuel, Trans and vapor lines. $300

Hey!!! Since I started all the buzz with my first response on the 72 Dart I gotta chime in again. For the record the car agreed by most is a nice ride. I would drive it with pride. One point of concern at least for me is clearly in the pictures there is some body work needed and the car should have a complete repaint. As it is the car by pictures truly looks straight and clean otherwise. This was my problem area for the most part. If 18K was to be paid these items would have to be corrected. My guess is a ton of money went into the car and no more will be invested. That is the problem with a body cars. The market is based on a particular buyer on a particular car. Someone has to really want it and have cash to do so. If not its just tire kickers spinning your wheels!!! I have bought and sold a mountain of a body cars over the last 30+ years and just about every time it was the same old story but my guess is most cars fall into the same catagory. As a rule I like non numbers matching cars as you can be a little more racey and carefree with them and still have a great car that can also be a crowd pleaser. I am sure anyone here who has or had a nice cruise/show car can share a story or two about no matter how much time and money you put into a car someone will come along and rip it for one reason or another (kind of like I did on this Dart). But its true, sometimes you just cant win. You build a concourse 100 point car or a street screamer and some 'fathead' will come along and point out every flaw he can find and if you build a 'clone' will rip you for deception. That is kind of where I was at with this car. Nowhere did the guy claim the Dart was numbers matching or even a 340 car but if you were someone who knew nothing about this type of car and it caught your eye well, I think you know which way this could have went. It sort of seemed to me like there was alot of hype on low miles, original paint, and tons of documentation and it kind of eclipses the fact it was a basic 6 banger econobox. On the other hand this would be the type of car I would love to drive around. I guess I just wonder why the car has been on the block for a year now as it is. I keep coming back to that price. I do not think a car could be built for this money though. One car on this thread, Adam's Scamp! Now that is one nice ride in the works and that color too! THAT would be a car to tear up the streets with.
My car is a 75 Dart Sport. It had a slant six/auto 7 1/4 rear, bench interior with a column shift auto. It now sports a bucket seat floor shift console interior and will be fitted with an 360/904 8 1/4 grip rear. Also in the plans is a complete 72 Demon front end with a dual snorkle scoop and a 72 Duster rear bumper. I am leaving the Sport tail panel as-is. People are gonna rip the crap out of the car and me but this is what I have wanted, a 72 Demon. Problem is Demons have gone off the charts price wise and since I have a rust free car that can be built to look like the real deal I am just building what I want to drive. It wont be passed off as a Demon though and if I sell it will be put back in 75 body trim and sold as a basic non numbers matching car. Funny thing is I will never get close to 18K for it, Guess I am just jealous?????????
BTW, for the record my car has over 200,000 miles on it and was REAL tired mechanically!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back