Amazing prices on used parts!

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been on this forum for a while now, bought some parts, sold some parts, Hell even given some away free. And also gotten some good info here. Been Mopar since 1965. Owned many , sold many, and sent many to the junk yards over the years. I can remember when you couldn't sell one for any kind of money, and you could buy one for about the same. There are still piles of them laying around the backroads all over, ( just have to know where to look). Any way I guess my point is the crazy high prices on most of the stuff being listed for sale here. I can't believe anyone is really buying much of it. For example lately: 69 340 bare block, .060 over for $650. Really? What about seats and mounts for $850, described as NOT RUSTED JUNK GOOD CONDITION. WTF. Carbs for not much less than new ones. Saw some timing chain covers for more than brand new ones cost, Spray a little paint and wal la #s mathing, NICE deal. The list goes on just look around ( I'm sure you guys do ) pretty crazy. I still have some stuff I would give away if someone was needing it and come get it before I scrap it. Had one guy P/M message me wanting ALL I HAD for free, checked his home page out and he has a race shop and a hoard of mopar stuff for sale. I'll give it away to some one that needs it for there own car. I guess that's all why the mopar hobby cost so much. But the stuff is still out there , you just have to get off the couch and find it, OR pay the big bucks to someone that did and sprayed some paint on it. LOL. I was warned buy a couple guys about selling stuff to cheap and free, but I think if you can help a person out with some parts without raping em it's a better hobby for both. Don't know how long this will stay up but I'll be watching.

Dear Rat Rod I think you hit the nail right on the head. I hope this stays up for a long time.

my thoughts on selling is, a little bit on something is better then a whole lot of nothing. my 2 pennies

Craigslist isn't any better. If you need a laugh, try typing in "mopar" on the Sacramento, CA craigslist. You'll then think the prices on here are low.

If it's a nice usable part, NOT wore out and trash it might be worth some $$$ , but get real, most is not.

I usually do a search on something that I’m thinking of buying from here. That usually gives me a price range versus quality range. Most of the time the part is in the condition as adverised. There have been many parts that I have not responded to because the price was too high for me.
I have had other members contact me regarding their identical part because someone else is ahead of me on the first part. I really have appreciated them for doing that.
I also like it when someone sends a “freebie” to another member on the sly and the recipient gives him/her a recognition post.

Some don't want to " get off the couch and find it". A part is worth what it sells for. Everyone has the right to pay or not pay. Ain't America Great!

I stopped all that nice guy help your fellow enthusiast **** and the down and out people after finding some of my generosity on eBay and other sites for double and triple what I sold it for. some people are just crooked liars.

I asked for a junk timing chain, 2 guys stepped up and sent 'em. I gave reps to both and would do the same for another member if I had a spare or random duplicate. Fipping charity stuff is bad karma.

My plan is when im done w car number 2 im gonna keep what i want and put the rest up for grabs. U pay shipping u can have it. It wont b much but its my way of thanking those on here who have been fair we me and helpful

I have a GOOD Holley 750 core/possible good runner for sale in the for sale forum. 175 or best offer. A new one is over 350. You think that's too much? I don't. Pissy buyers make up the other half of the problem.

I've been on this forum for a while now, bought some parts, sold some parts, Hell even given some away free. And also gotten some good info here. Been Mopar since 1965. Owned many , sold many, and sent many to the junk yards over the years. I can remember when you couldn't sell one for any kind of money, and you could buy one for about the same. There are still piles of them laying around the backroads all over, ( just have to know where to look). Any way I guess my point is the crazy high prices on most of the stuff being listed for sale here. I can't believe anyone is really buying much of it. For example lately: 69 340 bare block, .060 over for $650. Really? What about seats and mounts for $850, described as NOT RUSTED JUNK GOOD CONDITION. WTF. Carbs for not much less than new ones. Saw some timing chain covers for more than brand new ones cost, Spray a little paint and wal la #s mathing, NICE deal. The list goes on just look around ( I'm sure you guys do ) pretty crazy. I still have some stuff I would give away if someone was needing it and come get it before I scrap it. Had one guy P/M message me wanting ALL I HAD for free, checked his home page out and he has a race shop and a hoard of mopar stuff for sale. I'll give it away to some one that needs it for there own car. I guess that's all why the mopar hobby cost so much. But the stuff is still out there , you just have to get off the couch and find it, OR pay the big bucks to someone that did and sprayed some paint on it. LOL. I was warned buy a couple guys about selling stuff to cheap and free, but I think if you can help a person out with some parts without raping em it's a better hobby for both. Don't know how long this will stay up but I'll be watching.
I am also a guy who believes that the way to continue a love of old cars is helping others starting out. I was at a show last week and several families with kids 12-15 and a least a few asked to have pictures taken beside car.Several sitting in drivers seat.I was beside several volkswagens from the 60's and the time we talked about helping younger people learn cars and how to repair.Most of car shows are increasingly becoming new cars.The brotherhood of not taking advantage is something i have appreciated and returned.Hurrah to those of us who decide it is not about how many benjamin franklins we have on green paper when we leave this world. glad to share the space with you. Joe from Ridley Pa

I asked for a junk timing chain, 2 guys stepped up and sent 'em. I gave reps to both and would do the same for another member if I had a spare or random duplicate. Fipping charity stuff is bad karma.

You helped me out when I needed it, and I have payed it forward as a bit of payback for you.
What comes around, goes around.
Thank you again.
That car still runs great by the way.

I was thinking about replacing my bench with buckets guy on FABO has a set for 68 gts 1200$$ with new covers (not installed) mabey not seems high ?? The bench still works ...

I have a GOOD Holley 750 core/possible good runner for sale in the for sale forum. 175 or best offer. A new one is over 350. You think that's too much? I don't. Pissy buyers make up the other half of the problem.
I agree it's kind of goes both ways. I'm sure if someone beat you up you can give that carburetor up for a hundred fifty bucks and that is a great deal. Especially when we know it's coming from someone who's going give us a straight shot. I'm a personal strong believer in something used is at the starting rate of Half Price depending a lot of course on condition but I think that carburetor is definitely reasonable. But that said there's other things quote unquote rare LOL and those can become quite arbitrary.
On the other hand that is what we would call the Craigslist flakes but I was always thinking that was the person who didn't show up but found out after the years that it's also the people posting 50% to blame.
And on we go....
Edit: I also need to mention that I have two things from members that were sent to me free of charge for nothing but to go on my car. One of which is still on the car and I'll roll in my grave if I find out one of my great-grandchildren sold it on Craigslist or on eBay! That stays on the car forever! And also another part I put on the car but now I put on the wall of my garage and can only be displayed reused or given to somebody to use on their project.

I have given away more parts and labor to people then I have ever sold ! Karma is a sneaky ***** they will get what's coming to them Mopar For Ever

I personally think this is a great place to get help with my car. The knowledge is fantastic in this forum and so far everyone has been amazing with advice. And I know what I can and cannot afford for my car and look for items with that in mind. Sure there are things that I would like to have... but unless I win the lottery.....

I find that on this site, the BEST deal is on the free information...first hand knowledge at a fraction of the "figure it out yourself" price. I want to return the favor to the community, but soo many here have experience well beyond me.

I have lots leftovers, or parts that came with another purchase. If I try to sell it here, usually I'll look to see what Ebay has it for and go 75% as a reference.

I agree 100% some people think they're selling gold..have to laugh when I see all the LD340 manifolds people asking $300 + for them:rofl::rofl:..

Used hi po parts = 1/2 new

Rebuildable wear hi po parts = 1/4 new

I was thinking about replacing my bench with buckets guy on FABO has a set for 68 gts 1200$$ with new covers (not installed) mabey not seems high ?? The bench still works ...

When it comes to new stuff still in packaging... consider the date it was manufactured. If it can’t be proven, you must figure worst case scenario.

think about what happens to the part stuffed into packaging for 5, 10, 15, 20 years. Seat covers, carpet, headliner, vinyl top, trunk mat, etc folded in a box will get creases and fold lines.

It can cost $1000 +/- labor to have seat covers, headliner, vinyl top installed. How would you like to see creases in it 24/7 afterwards?

Price your RISK accordingly.

I can remember a time we didn't have forums or the internet, and we had to just rely on local mopar enthusiasts to for help in finding parts. Yes there where people asking too much for stuff but we all knew who they were and we just wouldn't buy from them. We should do the same here, and also call them out! We all love car's here and help each other out to keep them on the road. If you're just looking to make a buck go sell on ebay!

Last edited:
I am not a CL fan like many, BUT sometimes I meet some real people on there... ie ....called guy last week, he had at one time a pasture full of old mopars, most have been sold, parted, remains of crushed, still have a couple of rough projects, (no titles) make offer.....He still has many parts, and prices???? make offer!!!! I like " make offer"!!

Texas is a big place......BUT when price of scrap got high, most everything around here got crushed......back in Mo you could swing a dead cat and hit 3 old mopars...

I can remember a time we didn't have forums or the internet, and we had to just rely on local mopar enthusiasts to for help in finding parts. Yes there where people asking too much for stuff but we all knew who they were and we just wouldn't buy from them. We should do the same here, and also call them out! We all love car's here and help each other out to keep them on the road. If you're just looking to make a buck go sell on ebay!
The younger generation knows nothing of having to drive to West Virginia to get an original Hurst shifter out of a 70 340 Duster, well before there was a Internet. Only to find out it has the wrong handle. I bought it anyway. Or back when you asked for a "picture", the seller took 35 mm pics had them developed and then mailed them to you, (if you were lucky). No now days it is much easier to sit behind a monitor and ***** about parts being to high! It's very simple, if you don't like the price, keep clicking on by!

-
Back