AMC = Mopar?

Is an AMC product a Mopar

• yep

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • nope

Votes: 137 66.2%

• Total voters
-
One more thing, if AMC's are Mopars, are Fiats Mopars or are our Mopars now Fiats?
Or Benzes, or Mitsubishis? Or Hillmans? A Colt is a Mopar, Sox drove one! Does that mean every Mitsubishi is a Mopar? Plymouth Cricket was a british car made by Hillman. And although I like some AMC products, they are no more a MOPAR than every Mitsubishi, Hillman, Benz, or Fiat. There are a few guys in my local Mopar club that think their Packards, Studebakers, and Nashes are welcome there, and due to the laid back club management, they are. BUT, I would love to try taking a Dart to a Packard meet, or Studebaker, or AMC. Do you think they'll let me in? I say it ain't a Mopar unless it says Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, or Desoto on it somewhere.
As for AMC using some Chrysler parts, if I put a Volare subframe under a 32 Ford and put a shivvy engine in it, is it now a Mopar? Hell no!!!

I wouldn't really call them a Mopar, but they are close enough that I love 'em. I would do absolutely anything for a '71 Javelin. I love my Duster and there is no way I would ever get rid of it, but all of AMC's cars are great.

AMC is cool, & there are some of their vehicles that I would own.
That being said, no, they are not a MOPAR!

Obviously they are not mopars as built by chrysler,plymouth or dodge but I guess it doesnt bother me,hell my wife has an 71 amx.They were bought by dodge and modern dodges had their technolgy as well.I will admit I appreciate all cars (kinda like women!).I guess thats why I rarely attend brand specific shows,and amcs had their own engines and the second gen v8s heads are amazing when it comes to flow potential.

Attachments

• 321392_2234393151374_1594309440_2182686_1263856052_n.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 279
I saw a AMX at a Mopar show that I went to but this one had a catch. The owner had put a 340/4-speed drivetrain in it from a '70 Duster he had totaled. I accepted that one as a Mopar.

The Mopar/AMC “relationship” started before all the acquisitions and takeovers. It had nothing to do with AMC actually being considered a Mopar. They were considered somewhat “brethren” because AMC used Mopar parts in some of their products giving it a slight transfusion of the Mopar blood in some people’s eyes. That combined with being the outcasts for reasons stated previously in this thread, it was only natural for the two “underdogs” to form a bond. The all-brand shows had so many Ford and GM products you couldn’t sneeze without blowing snot on one, but you had to look to find a Mopar and seldom saw an AMC. If you grew up in the muscle car days like me you’ll remember that Mopars were hated by the other guys because of their performance and AMC’s weren’t taken seriously, often laughed at, because they were so overlooked. Times have changed and Mopar has earned the long overdue respect and AMC is slowly coming into its own. Is AMC a Mopar – definitely not, but the association is a long standing one. Also as stated in here, all the Mopar only shows I’ve been to have included AMC, not because they’re Mopars but because they are welcome for that long standing association.

As for the “is your Mopar now a Fiat?”, our cars are what they were when built and has absolutely nothing to do with buyouts and current parent companies. If you own a Willys Jeep it is a Willys, not AMC or Mopar because of who owned the company later. That’s like saying my Plymouth doesn’t exist because there is no more Plymouth.

Ok, rant over lol!

I dont think AMC is a Mopar but a Mopar cousin. If that makes sense. I consider my Willys a Pre-Mopar.

I was looking for a project when i found my cuda but if i had found an amx or a rambler scrambler i would have bought it.

A litte sentance from allpar.com marking the end of AMC. You make the call

The spirit of AMC lives on, though, as many AMC employees were absorbed by Chrysler. Former-AMC engineers, stylists, and other personnel are helping to create the incredible MoPar machines of today. Indeed, some would say that the AMC engineers and managers rescued Chrysler from an egocentric, bureaucratic culture.

I never meant to dis AMC in any way; let's call them separate but equal.

As to AMC using Mopar parts, that's true, but they also used a lot of parts sourced from Ford, GM and Renault. The Pacer was originally designed to use a GM rotary engine that was never produced. AMC was the last little guy manufacturer and bought components wherever it could when they couldn't afford to design and build them in house. Today every car manufacturer does that.
My 73 Charger had a Saginaw (GM) steering pump and a GM supplied tilt column, turn signal and ignition switch, did that make it a Chevy?

BTW, AMC's may be underdogs, but I take exception to anybody calling my Mopar an underdog!!

True, Mopars are far from underdogs. As far as the muscle car era they were the fastest thing straight off the showroom floor. That's why the other guys hated them and so they didn't get the respect the deserved... hence my unintended misuse of the word underdog.

As far as AMC, my dad loved Ramblers/AMC so I grew up with them and would love to build one of several different models using a Mopar drivetrain.

...and maybe they don't WANT to be called Mopar. They might just want to be seen as AMC. I enjoy seeing them at the Nationals, there are some really nice cars there. Plus where would James Bond be without the AMC cars....The red white car in the James Bond Film, The Man with a Golden Gun will for ever be stuck in my mind.
[ame="http://youtu.be/hh0VF6s-UYU"]302 Found[/ame]

I agree guys. Not a Mopar but I still like em. Wouldn't mind having a Rebel Machine. Never saw one in person but watched a show about em and now I want one.

There is a guy here with a Rebel Machine it's an older restoration and still looks great,4 speed car,nice lopy rumble, i like them.

Although they weren't born as Mopars, I voted "yes". If I were to adopt a child, I'd consider him or her my own and would appreciate it if my friends did the same. Same thing, yet different.

if a fiber glass model T , has a whale motor in it ,what is it ? my friend's 66 american has a built 360 is it still not a mopar ?

Where I grew up they were ramblers and were a cheap imitation of a real car i.e. MOPAR!

ide rather look at a AMX,,, or a machine at a cruise nite or mopar event then look at another chevelle or crapmaro,,,JMO

As for AMC using some Chrysler parts, if I put a Volare subframe under a 32 Ford and put a shivvy engine in it, is it now a Mopar? Hell no!!!

Correct. Because what you do is irrelevant. If the factory does it, that's a completely different argument. What ever the factory does, it owns, at least until the warranty has expired.

Personally, I'm gonna say no, AMC isn't Mopar. More like the red-headed step-child. Welcomed into the family, but everyone knows they aren't "family."

I've got a good friend who's hot and heavy into AMC. He's got a couple of Javelins, an AMX, a bunch of Ramblers, and tons of parts, including a couple of GM sourced switch pitch TH400's. Those trans are AMC only, as they won't bolt to a GM block, and almost totally useless to the GM crowd.

He won't call his AMC's Mopars. I doubt if you'll find many AMC guys who will.

-
Back