An accurate 8 3/4" rear axle width list

Transmission and Drivetrain Tech

1. Jeff 63ValiantConvertible

Jeff 63ValiantConvertible Active Member

Local Time:
    9:10 AM
    So, I would have to replace the entire housing or can I just swap axles and gears...thank you for responding

2. Jeff 63ValiantConvertible

Jeff 63ValiantConvertible Active Member

Local Time:
    9:10 AM
    Thanks

3. moparspares

moparspares Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:10 AM
    FYI here is another one to the mix. Australian Dodge Phoenix which is based on your Plymouth Fury is 57 3/4. I have 3 of these and they all measure the same from late 60's to early 70's Phoenix. Its weird they changed ever so slightly but may have to do with the cars having to meet a certain amount of Australian content - Maybe?

4. STRorange

STRorange Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:10 PM
    Mother Mopar was deffo weird when it came to 8 3/4 axles.
    Three different diffs is a start then there's the wide variety of axle widths and shafts to go with them!
    Mainly because of the 'opposing bearing system' (back to front) so the side force transmits from one side, all the way over to the other when cornering...
    Now mostly converting folks have to dual roller GREENs eliminates the EXACT axle shaft length as before.
    Some of the early A-Body YUKON axles were TOO short from the manufacturers!
    When used with an early detroit locker they were shearing the splines, as the shafts were approx 3/8" short!
    Think the SHAFTS were labelled as 28 INCHERS for the stock A-bods?
    Seen loads of even 'experts' get it wrong with the 8 3/4 specs too.
    They forget the thickness of the brake back plates and array of shims etc.

Me I think its easy, just lay the shafts on the ground (splines ends together) with a 1 1/2" spacer between them and measure to the bearing plate.
    Then allow 1/4'' 'LESS' for backplates and shims and thats your axle case width.
    A little more tricky with the 'old style' bearings but you should be changing them out anyways...

This only applies when you have fixed length axles, the 'cut to size' are easy peasy...:drama:

• Like Like x 2
    1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.