And So It Begins....

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Yup, muh huh.

LONG ROD.JPG

So what are we looking at? 2.2, Jahns, Venolia, ...
Oh no. Not that high fallootin. They are non turbo 2.2 Silvolites. That's all this honky can afford. Besides, I'm not doing a blower, turbo or nitrous and I don't plan on wingin it to the moon so it'll be ok. I got the short block slung back together now. I may go ahead and put the unicorn head on it too.

Im down for following along. Your goals?
This is the unicorn head motor. Here is the info on the head.
The motor in Vixen now I've always called my "for now" motor, but it's worked out so well I just left it in and there it will stay until something happens to it. That might be a while. lol Basically, I just want to go ahead and assemble this engine to get all the parts in one place. I'll probably spray it with fluid film and wrap it in plastic when done. I guess if I had a "goal" it would be to get as close to a naturally aspirated slant 6 as close to 300HP as I can. At any rate, it'll be stronger then the for now motor and that'll be a hoot, because the for now motor really already is. lol

I’m familiar with your unicorn head thread. It’s interesting for sure. I’d say 300 is a lofty goal but I hope you crush it. I don’t remember, did you have that head flowed?

I’m familiar with your unicorn head thread. It’s interesting for sure. I’d say 300 is a lofty goal but I hope you crush it. I don’t remember, did you have that head flowed?
Oh I know it is. Even with the seriously ported head and 318 valves, I think it's out of reach. 275......maybe. @Jim Kueneman and I have run simulations on a high end sim he has of both the for now motor and the unicorn head motor. After we tweaked everything for the for now motor, It was in the 210 or so range, if I remember right. Jim has the numbers. I don't remember what the unicorn head motor was...and honestly, I don't really care. lol I'm just havin fun.

47D48D1B-FF00-4873-8551-310405A79389.png

Steve Ducich’s slant 6 and what it took to make 300+. Steve heavily ported the stock head and if I remember correctly it cranked 210-220 psi. They crested the 300 mark with 7-1/2 psi. Also, they pushed the head gasket out on the 328hp run.

View attachment 1716118822
Steve Ducich’s slant 6 and what it took to make 300+. Steve heavily ported the stock head and if I remember correctly it cranked 210-220 psi. They crested the 300 mark with 7-1/2 psi. Also, they pushed the head gasket out on the 328hp run.
Yeah I remember that. They used an el cheapo head gasket for a blower, but if I remember right, the blower kinda fell in their lap at the last minute, so rather than tear it down, the went forward. lol

In post one I see you holding a small piston. I was gonna say I thought you were finally rebuilding your lawn mower...
Mo-power to ya... lol...

Oh I know it is. Even with the seriously ported head and 318 valves, I think it's out of reach. 275......maybe. @Jim Kueneman and I have run simulations on a high end sim he has of both the for now motor and the unicorn head motor. After we tweaked everything for the for now motor, It was in the 210 or so range, if I remember right. Jim has the numbers. I don't remember what the unicorn head motor was...and honestly, I don't really care. lol I'm just havin fun.

Yea, it was clear getting HP out of that head NA is an effort in futility. You can get torque out of it with some careful effort. If you open up the head to flow like a quality aluminum modern small block head then 300 is in reach.

Yea, it was clear getting HP out of that head NA is an effort in futility. You can get torque out of it with some careful effort. If you open up the head to flow like a quality aluminum modern small block head then 300 is in reach.
And that's the mystery. All the numbers I gave you on the unicorn head were PRE finished valve job and included no back cuts on the valves, so the head flows more than those numbers represent. I'd rather stick with those numbers and end up conservative, than guess. Naturally aspirated or not, it'll be fun!

Does anyone have the Engine Power data from their first slant build?
They are teasing the new build, when we get the data I want to see how much better it is.

those engine power guys are slant haters..... they didnt even give it a real shot. plenty of people have gone over 7psi with a Felpro head gasket. I know I have..... its a shame they never really even tried with that engine. I cant wait to see you put this thing in Vixen. I totally get the for now engine deal. I'm still running around on that short block with a crack in it. Only drips a little when I park it. going to keep it in a while longer before I push it and see how much pressure that thing can take.

those engine power guys are slant haters..... they didnt even give it a real shot. plenty of people have gone over 7psi with a Felpro head gasket. I know I have..... its a shame they never really even tried with that engine. I cant wait to see you put this thing in Vixen. I totally get the for now engine deal. I'm still running around on that short block with a crack in it. Only drips a little when I park it. going to keep it in a while longer before I push it and see how much pressure that thing can take.
You mean “engine masters guys”? Yes they (except for Steve Dulcich) are slant haters. But they absolutely did give it a real shot. Albeit poking fun at it the whole time. And they did go above 7 psi. They went to 10.5 and it pushed out the gasket. Even amongst the real mopar people here at FABO there are plenty of slant haters, myself included, I wouldn’t spend a dime on one. But I love weird **** and commend people that build it. Which is why I’m following and I’ll be cheering Rusty on.

You mean “engine masters guys”? Yes they (except for Steve Dulcich) are slant haters. But they absolutely did give it a real shot. Albeit poking fun at it the whole time. And they did go above 7 psi. They went to 10.5 and it pushed out the gasket. Even amongst the real mopar people here at FABO there are plenty of slant haters, myself included, I wouldn’t spend a dime on one. But I love weird **** and commend people that build it. Which is why I’m following and I’ll be cheering Rusty on.
yes, the engine master guys. I don't think they really did try, but I only saw the way it was aired after editing ( and constant trash talk ). Weird **** is where its at, I know when I walk through a car show I spend more time looking at the oddball car than the rows of Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles and countless cookie cutter trucks.

yes, the engine master guys. I don't think they really did try, but I only saw the way it was aired after editing ( and constant trash talk ). Weird **** is where its at, I know when I walk through a car show I spend more time looking at the oddball car than the rows of Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles and countless cookie cutter trucks.

I can see another big block Road Runner most anywhere

I didn't see that episode but I had taped the one with the/6 manifold shootout, and rewatched that one yesterday. Around 200 hp out of a not so wild /6.... Not bad at all,ore than my b body fury's 318 had factory or my 85 d 150 would have had even of it had come stock with a 360. And less weight.
And I have never been a big 360 fan to begin with, I'm the guy who'd take a 318 over a 360

-
Back