Another 5.7 in stock...

-

Krooser

Building Chinese Free Engines since 1959...
Reaction score
'06 Ram. Ran good...computer issue. 170k on the clock.

May be the basis for my next build.
06 hemi.jpg

These engines are all over the place... got my last two from scrappers. $100.00 is like gold to them. Got a $50.00 one from a demo derby guy. Tons more around just try to network with the guys who junk them....

They're not exactly rare down here. But, for some reason, prices seem to be rising. For a 100 plus thousand mile example, average "asking" price is around 12 to 1300 plus. Dumb. How much can you snag an 09 up Eagle engine for?

Junkyards get $250.00 for a core early engine. No warranty.

Ive seen Eagle units for $300 and up.

Find the scrappers and demo guys. They use Durangos and put Chevy motors in them.

Well this one needs a bit more than an ECM...
Guy told me it quit and wouldn't crank....this might be why
Hemi piston.jpg

Uhhh, yep. I think you might've found the problem. How's crank and block?

Block is ok...just a couple nicks in the bottom of the cylinder. Crank needs at least one journal repaired.

I think this was a lubrication problem not unlike what I saw in my sbm... No oil to the rod bearing...got hot...tossed one rod and damaged another.

I can't get it to turn over so it's been a struggle to disassemble. I need to get the torque convertor off so I can get it on an engine stand.

Years ago.. when I locked up a Porsche 944.. had to pull the pan and loosen all the main bearing caps to get a crank to turn so I could undo the torque tube coupler... THAT was a big job.

maybe pull the pan and loosen things up? should turn eventually.

Years ago.. when I locked up a Porsche 944.. had to pull the pan and loosen all the main bearing caps to get a crank to turn so I could undo the torque tube coupler... THAT was a big job.

maybe pull the pan and loosen things up? should turn eventually.
I have the pan off...even that was interesting as the pan is pretty much glued to the windage tray and the oil pickup is bolted thru the tray to the pump ( still new at these Gen III's).

Got to take off the damper, got the main cap bolts out but I still have to remove the front cover. Then I can unbolt the convertor from the flywheel.

Might even have a stuck camshaft if everything seized.

It only had about one quart of oil in the pan.

I was just watchin a youtube video this week of a hellcat piston doin the same exact thing!

Obviously this guy hasn't broken many engines! It breaks fix it... he's getting way to analytical. It broke... move on!

Ran good until I changed the oill
IMG_20190831_152240665.jpg

One journal has the two rod bearing welded to the crank...

Here's two bearings that have joined themselves together...hope they are happy! Reminds me of my first marriage.

Then there's the 1/2 connecting rod that's missing. I found it chewed up in the bottom of the pan along with the missing half of one piston. Two inches deep in the bottom of the pan.

The windage tray prevented the piston and rod to drop into the pan so the crank acted like a hammer mill and shredded the parts.
IMG_20190831_150428548.jpg
IMG_20190831_150629731.jpg

Block is ok...just a couple nicks in the bottom of the cylinder. Crank needs at least one journal repaired.

I think this was a lubrication problem not unlike what I saw in my sbm... No oil to the rod bearing...got hot...tossed one rod and damaged another.

I can't get it to turn over so it's been a struggle to disassemble. I need to get the torque convertor off so I can get it on an engine stand.
I welded a socket into a box end wrench, to get at the bolts, i would have to go look at what i did, or take a picture. I will say it worked well. Had to replace a seized one about 5 years ago.

I welded a socket into a box end wrench, to get at the bolts, i would have to go look at what i did, or take a picture. I will say it worked well. Had to replace a seized one about 5 years ago.
After I got six pistons out and the main caps off I got it to turn enough to get at the last two rod caps.

But it still turns hard...need a big pipe wedged in the damper
Makes me think the cam bearings are seized. Might have to get out a bmfh to get that out...out to the shop soon.

After I got six pistons out and the main caps off I got it to turn enough to get at the last two rod caps.

But it still turns hard...need a big pipe wedged in the damper
Makes me think the cam bearings are seized. Might have to get out a bmfh to get that out...out to the shop soon.
I bought an 07 srt8 Cherokee that the guy said he was on the highway and it just quit so he got it pulled over and called a tow truck to take it home.
The internals look real similar and yes the cams bearings were seized to the cam.
He claims he just checked the oil a few days before
Ya there wasn't much oil in there .

Borrowed a damper
IMG_20190906_214009032.jpg
puller from O'Reillys....did not work.

Bought one on Amazon...same as O'Reillys. But this I can grind in a relief and make it work.

-
Back