Another boat question

-
IMG_7383.gif

Glad to see someone enjoying the water! Im finally at the point of remounting the outboard and ran into another snag-

14EF194C-35F8-4EB9-87C0-22C60006F074.jpeg

All four holes were “adjusted” apparently. I’m a little more anal about through hulls especially ones with so much angular forces directed on them. What would you do?

I fashioned some spacers and JB’d them in to reduce movement….

764CF9AF-1F2A-4765-83D8-25AA6CE86889.jpeg
C10A3BF8-2108-4060-9BEF-A18F19ED795D.jpeg

Then I’m supposed to 5200 the crap outta them like putting on an intake manifold… TBC

Your repair looks great! I would think that's about as good as you could do it? Other than tig welding?? What do u mean 5200?
Glad to see someone enjoying the water! Im finally at the point of remounting the outboard and ran into another snag-

View attachment 1716281651
All four holes were “adjusted” apparently. I’m a little more anal about through hulls especially ones with so much angular forces directed on them. What would you do?

I fashioned some spacers and JB’d them in to reduce movement….

View attachment 1716281652View attachment 1716281653
Then I’m supposed to 5200 the crap outta them like putting on an intake manifold… TBC

Should have had it welded when I had the cracks done. I’m not so sure that may have caused my issues on the inside plate of the transom.
image.jpg

But I didn’t want something like that going on where the outboard sits flush on the outside. The motor is tight on my “shims” and I used the sealer on all 4 sides of the plates. The transom is hollow! One 0.125” plate outside and a double layer inside.

3M makes two marine sealers 5200 is semi permanent but still flexible. I think 4200 is more like a caulking??

Hard to believe the transom is hollow. No idea if mine is or not lol.
You can always add another layer of alum if you want?
Should have had it welded when I had the cracks done. I’m not so sure that may have caused my issues on the inside plate of the transom. View attachment 1716283614
But I didn’t want something like that going on where the outboard sits flush on the outside. The motor is tight on my “shims” and I used the sealer on all 4 sides of the plates. The transom is hollow! One 0.125” plate outside and a double layer inside.

3M makes two marine sealers 5200 is semi permanent but still flexible. I think 4200 is more like a caulking??

Hard to believe the transom is hollow
I know right? I was thinking wood or something. Nope, one piece of aluminum support in there like a baffle in a tank just below the lower motor mounts. That’s it!
You can always add another layer of alum if you want
If it were two new aluminum plates and sealed perfect, yes. A new plate on an old one (that’s not perfect anymore) can lead to corrosion in that space.

It’s been through a couple of tree strikes, one barrel, and one sea stack hard enough to break the skeg! Well in addition to many hours of rough water. I’ll be lucky to get another 500 hours outta her anyway.
I got the kicker, 150 and the bilge all running today!!! I run a water separator and wasn’t sure how much Stabil I actually got into the motors before taking them out last year. Good news!

My boats nowhere near what yours is, but if I broke a skeg I'd be freaking out lol.
On my boat "list" is hour meter and fuel filter. Where does your hour meter hook to?
Glad yer making progress!
I know right? I was thinking wood or something. Nope, one piece of aluminum support in there like a baffle in a tank just below the lower motor mounts. That’s it!

If it were two new aluminum plates and sealed perfect, yes. A new plate on an old one (that’s not perfect anymore) can lead to corrosion in that space.

It’s been through a couple of tree strikes, one barrel, and one sea stack hard enough to break the skeg! Well in addition to many hours of rough water. I’ll be lucky to get another 500 hours outta her anyway.
I got the kicker, 150 and the bilge all running today!!! I run a water separator and wasn’t sure how much Stabil I actually got into the motors before taking them out last year. Good news!

As for a water psi gauge. I recommend it always. It is easier to see than the tell tale and will show you a water flow issue long before the temp increases to overheat.

Agree, good point! I will add those 2 to the gauge list. Not sure where to tie all these gauges in.? I know the tell-talle wasn't pi$$ING at last year's start up but that was due to a hose either fell or blew off. What a pita for a simple little hose, it was "up n under" lol.
As for a water psi gauge. I recommend it always. It is easier to see than the tell tale and will show you a water flow issue long before the temp increases to overheat.

Agree, good point! I will add those 2 to the gauge list. Not sure where to tie all these gauges in.? I know the tell-talle wasn't pi$$ING at last year's start up but that was due to a hose either fell or blew off. What a pita for a simple little hose, it was "up n under" lol.
Had I seen this earlier, I would have advised taking your side chaps off to make things way easier.

Where does your hour meter hook to
I just estimate it based on the times listed when the GPS is collecting data. Very low tech!
Funny, that skeg has been gone since 2009. I put a stainless cover over the missing bit and run it! Good thing too, cuz my crane was not high enough to remount the motor and long shaft! First time I took that cover off to get me 5 more inches! I’m waiting for new bolts from Amazon today to replace it. Another lower is in my future…

....There are only a couple of times in my life that a machine left an indelible impression on me.

My dad and I used to drive down from our crummy south Miami neighborhood to fish under several bridges in the Keys often. I had seen the giant racing boats that required a semi a few times but one evening a Cigarette with what appeared to be 3 inboard motors was heading out into the Atlantic from the Gulf as the sun was setting. I don't think it was racing. They were just exercising it let's say. Now anytime a boat went under the bridge it kinda echoed anyway. When this thing went through it was tremendous and then they opened it up and took off. It seemed like you not only could hear it until it went over the horizon, you felt it. I was fifteen.

-
Back