Another boring mpg story…

-

hotrod swinger

Reaction score
I drive from Sooke to Tofino today with a couple of detours, 343 km using 39.9 L. That puts me over 20 mpg for my slant.

IMG_1450.jpeg

Is this eth/ meth infected gas or the "real thing?" The more alky, the worse the mileage

Vixen knocks down 20s on a regular basis. Really surprises me with the big cam and four barrel. I guess the raised compression really adds to the efficiency. Getting the header hooked up to the exhaust now, so I'll see what effect that has. They can get decent mileage if you don't drive um like a maniac. Just like anything else.

QQ: not trying to be a smart A$$….
You show the drive length in km and gas quantity in Liters. Did you convert behind the scenes to MPG or is your car from the states?

last tank for me was 26.5mpg calculated, with a good amount of 70mph+ freeway driving....

stock slant 6, A833OD, 3.23 with 26.4" tall tires.

best I ever got in the car was in the early 90's on a trip that was all 55mph 2 lane blacktop (25" tires in the back at the time), never going above 60 (had the rear seat folded and the trunk pass through folded and hauling flats of strawberries for the farm market I worked for at the time) got an honest 30mpg

That would be Awesome mileage. My last calculation (I only did as I don’t want to run out fuel ever so I calculated the mpg the other day) WAS 178 km’s on 47 litres (26.5 l/100km’s!!) Lol
For my south of the border friends that’s about 9 mpg!

402 small block with 4.10 gears and a lead foot!

Back in the early seventies my mother had a 66 Belvedere II with a six and a tree speed. She would knock out mid twenties on a regular basis with the brown bomb. Great car always started even at -30 but wasn’t much to look at.

IDK about all the hate for gasohol, in cars. I've been running 87E10 since 1999, nothing but, and I have had no trouble with it. Zero.
AJ in an engine that is run often it can be ok. Let it still in a carb for a month though and you will likely have problems- especially with small two stroke engines

That’s a good run! Were you moving along the Malahat or was it stop and go/crawl through that choke point? Hwy 4 can be a fun drive west of PA if you’re not stuck behind a camper van.

I’d be happy with that mileage too.

That’s a good run! Were you moving along the Malahat or was it stop and go/crawl through that choke point? Hwy 4 can be a fun drive west of PA if you’re not stuck behind a camper van.

I’d be happy with that mileage too.
It was a good trip, not much traffic. I wasn’t babying it, just driving up and down mountains.

Not bad at all sir. Depending on the weight of your right foot, there are likely more mpgs to be gained with further tuning.
Yes there are definitely more mpg to be gained, I was not babying it lol

Double barrel carb with a dual exhaust, with those 323 gears you can really get lost.

IDK about all the hate for gasohol, in cars. I've been running 87E10 since 1999, nothing but, and I have had no trouble with it. Zero.
E anything sucks, I always mix stabl with my 5 gal gas can for the lawnmowers, etc, every can.
One spring, after sitting thru the winter, went to push the pumper ball on the push mower, it stuck in.
Yellow-brown sticky glue crap thru the carburetor, nasty stuff.
Started running non-al 90 in any small engine ever since its only .25 cents more a gallon.

I have to LMFAO every time somebody tries to lecture how alky is no problemo, guaranteed they don't live where...... like here, the humidity was ~90% & 92°F a few days back.

I have to LMFAO every time somebody tries to lecture how alky is no problemo, guaranteed they don't live where...... like here, the humidity was ~90% & 92°F a few days back.
Higher humidity probaly is a factor, but I’m in a super dry climate.
There are about two providers around that are pure gas with their premium, I don’t mind running ethanol blends all season long but near the end of the year I’m sure to run a couple tanks of pure gas through the system and then add stability before storage too.

I’m in a arid dry climate..

I've been in GA since April 2023 where it's consistently hotter and more humid year-round than PA and don't have issues with E-gas. I run Lucas ethanol treatment in all my carb-equipped engines though and both my old Mopars get driven at least once every week or 2.

My riding mower sat with 87E10 gas (+Lucas additive) in the tank from Nov-Apr and fired right up no problem, I did run the carb dry before putting it away for winter though.

E anything sucks, I always mix stabl with my 5 gal gas can for the lawnmowers, etc, every can.
One spring, after sitting thru the winter, went to push the pumper ball on the push mower, it stuck in.
Yellow-brown sticky glue crap thru the carburetor, nasty stuff.
Started running non-al 90 in any small engine ever since its only .25 cents more a gallon.
If it isn't a "modern" fuel injection setup designed to use the ethanol gas, my stuff gets ethanol free fuel. Doesn't matter if it is $1.00 a gallon more. It still saves money and aggravation in the long run.

We can’t get real gas at the pumps here anymore, unfortunately
Yeah that came to an end here last August. Minimum ethanol content is now 5% even in the 94 octane from Chevron.

-
Back