Another boring mpg story…

-
IDK about all the hate for gasohol, in cars. I've been running 87E10 since 1999, nothing but, and I have had no trouble with it. Zero.

I don’t know how the oil companies are in Canada,,,,but here they don’t necessarily go by the rules .
If it states it can contain up to 10 % ethanol here,,,it might actually be 15 or even 20 % here in America sometimes.

Not all of them do it,,,,but they have been caught doing this before !
When big money is involved,,,,,look out,,,,,,the Love of Money !

Tommy

Only thing with new gas is it evaporates and boils off etc. But that's easily corrected and dealt with...

I have to LMFAO every time somebody tries to lecture how alky is no problemo, guaranteed they don't live where...... like here, the humidity was ~90% & 92°F a few days back.
NW PA here, 35 miles from Lake Erie, it is humid here even on the best days.
Here are my facts. 12 year old Echo string trimmer. E10/87 stays in it from season to season even throughout the winter and it starts with 3 pulls every spring. Original spark plug and primer bulb. The same story is true for my 10 year old Echo leaf blower. 14 year old Toro snow blower. 11 year old Toro zero turn. 6 year old Poulan chain saw. The only piece of equipment that gives me problems is a Ryobi string trimmer but it is a ***** to start with any type of gas even now with a new carb, spark plug and fuel lines.

I also had a 70 Swinger 340 that spent 3 winters from Dec 1 to Apr 1 with 89 E10 in the carb and gas tank and it always started in the spring without any drama.
This year I switched my 66 440 Belvedere from EF 90 to E10 93 and the car performs better without any hot start problems and actually is giving me an increase of 1 1/2 mpg.
I can't explain why I don't have the problems other people have with E10 but I just considered myself lucky I guess.
Jerry

I have to LMFAO every time somebody tries to lecture how alky is no problemo, guaranteed they don't live where...... like here, the humidity was ~90% & 92°F a few days back.
That's where our humidity is regularly and ethanol gives no problem whatsoever in either of my carbureted vehicles. That said, all I run is the 10% max.

NW PA here, 35 miles from Lake Erie, it is humid here even on the best days.
Here are my facts. 12 year old Echo string trimmer. E10/87 stays in it from season to season even throughout the winter and it starts with 3 pulls every spring. Original spark plug and primer bulb. The same story is true for my 10 year old Echo leaf blower. 14 year old Toro snow blower. 11 year old Toro zero turn. 6 year old Poulan chain saw. The only piece of equipment that gives me problems is a Ryobi string trimmer but it is a ***** to start with any type of gas even now with a new carb, spark plug and fuel lines.

I also had a 70 Swinger 340 that spent 3 winters from Dec 1 to Apr 1 with 89 E10 in the carb and gas tank and it always started in the spring without any drama.
This year I switched my 66 440 Belvedere from EF 90 to E10 93 and the car performs better without any hot start problems and actually is giving me an increase of 1 1/2 mpg.
I can't explain why I don't have the problems other people have with E10 but I just considered myself lucky I guess.
Jerry
I must have the twin brother to your Ryobi string trimmer. Mine is ALWAYS an adventure to try to get it to start. Just a piece of crap. Never again!

It's dependent on use, storage, & how well the system is sealed when dormant. I have over a dozen vehicles, a lot of them outdoors. If You're not running a full tank thru' them once or twice a year, it turns to ****, I've already posted what happened to My "71 Olds, My '88 ShelbyZ, etc. elsewhere before, I've always kept the fuel full as possible in the tanks & ran them/topped 'em off every year at least twice. Going from current conditions, then having the temps drop dramatically, causes humid air to be pulled in just to condensate inside the tank.....which in turn is attracted to the alcohol in the fuel better than the gasoline.
None of My daily or routine drivers, carbed or otherwise are affected, now I use Stabil360 in everything that sits..so far so good. The other plus is, being near the Mon. River & a large Creek w/multiple Marinas, alky-free 88octane is now easy to obtain with more large chain convienience stations popping up in recent years.

If it states it can contain up to 10 % ethanol here,,,it might actually be 15 or even 20 % here in America sometimes.

Not all of them do it,,,,but they have been caught doing this before !

Tommy
Where do you get that information from?

I hauled fuel back in 2011 here and even delivered to the Hess, now Pilot in Carthage.

Running 15-20% ethanol will give you problems in a carb engine.

Do they secretly add it at the station? No. Does the driver when loading the tanker do it? No.

It's either blended from nozzles in the stream of sub octane gas going into the tanker at the loading rack or the E100 goes in first then the sub octane fuel goes in. It's all metered and the driver has no control of the formulation.

Before I hauled fuel locally the drivers for Mapco loaded E100 into their tankers manually then went to the main rack at Cumberland fuels in Nashville and got their sub. They had to calculate how much to put in there.

Last trip to Florida I stopped in Monteagle and Pilot didn't have E10. It's all E15. I really didn't need gas and didn't want to pay their high price for 90 octane non ethanol.

Where do you get that information from?

I hauled fuel back in 2011 here and even delivered to the Hess, now Pilot in Carthage.

Running 15-20% ethanol will give you problems in a carb engine.

Do they secretly add it at the station? No. Does the driver when loading the tanker do it? No.

It's either blended from nozzles in the stream of sub octane gas going into the tanker at the loading rack or the E100 goes in first then the sub octane fuel goes in. It's all metered and the driver has no control of the formulation.

Before I hauled fuel locally the drivers for Mapco loaded E100 into their tankers manually then went to the main rack at Cumberland fuels in Nashville and got their sub. They had to calculate how much to put in there.

Last trip to Florida I stopped in Monteagle and Pilot didn't have E10. It's all E15. I really didn't need gas and didn't want to pay their high price for 90 octane non ethanol.

Hi Trucker ,

I saw that on an expose many years ago ,,,,,maybe early 2000s .
No,,,,,it was being blended at the original source,,,,at least according to the news at that time .
I can’t remember who the reporter was ,,,(,maybe John Stossel ?),,,,but I remember the show .
And,,,,it might could be an honest mistake,,,,,,switching valves at the refinery by mistake maybe ?
I’m sure when they blend a 100,000 gallons of something it would be possible ?
But,,,I remember the report was stating that the gasoline was a certain value of the gallon .
Then the ethanol was only about a fraction of the cost of a gallon .
If you add more ethanol,,,,,you make more gallons,,,,but you still sell it for the higher price of gasoline .

At that time there many people having problems with their cars running and damaging the fuel systems and engines .

You’re right,,,,the Hess stop sold to a Pilot now .
There are a lot of vehicles in that place every day,,,,,whenever I go over there to eat at the Wendy’s next door,,,,it amazes me how many weirdo’s walk through there .
It’s scary really,,,,I’m amazed at how you drivers make the trips as safe as you do .

Stay safe on the road !

Tommy

mpg matter if you drive them a lot !!!

For me it is typically 120 mile round trip to go to any car show, cruize-in or cars and coffee so the one thats the best fuel mileage is the one I drive the most. That is our '63 Dart slant.

-
Back