Another clutch not completely disengaging thread

-
Here's the pic

20171202_161829.jpg

Well the thing is it has been HITTING and RUBBING. I bet this is your problem. Remember...........many engines have a sizeable amount of crank end play (thrust bearing) Plus when the PP releases the disk will come BACK to the rear!!!

What that thing will do, rubbing the disk, is try to push the disk forward against the flywheel!!
Agreed totally, so I'm thinking incorrect pressure plate, I'd need one with fingers that protrude more than the one I have now?

Is that what the new TOB looks like or is that damaged? I’m assuming that’s the damaged where’s I’ve never seen on stick out like that. Looks like it was 4.10” before th damage correct? Mine is at 4.49”. So the difference is pretty much that space you have behind your shims. If you slid yours all the way back like I did. Sorry I do not have any pictures.

Here ya go I went down and got one for you. I tried getting a picture of the pressure plate to TOB space but couldn’t get a good one. I’m around .179”

896C3D67-6C8E-47AD-B8D4-623382C28430.jpeg

How long does that nose have to be in order to accomodate t/o movement? Maybe shorten it?

Also "look around" and see if you can find a disk with a shorter spline hub, me? LOL I wouldnot be adverse to shortening that clutch hub "redneck" style!!

TO REPEAT..........I would certainly jig up the pp, flywheel and disk and check release distance/ figures/ clearance on a press.

Is that what the new TOB looks like or is that damaged? I’m assuming that’s the damaged where’s I’ve never seen on stick out like that. Looks like it was 4.10” before th damage correct? Mine is at 4.49”. So the difference is pretty much that space you have behind your shims. If you slid yours all the way back like I did. Sorry I do not have any pictures.
Hey crooks thanks for that, my pics show a damaged TOB, and I can see that your pressure plate is different to mine, the fingers on mine were pretty much flat when bolted to the flywheel, whereas yours are protruding out towards the gearbox, which would have made all the difference for me.

How long does that nose have to be in order to accomodate t/o movement? Maybe shorten it?

Also "look around" and see if you can find a disk with a shorter spline hub, me? LOL I wouldnot be adverse to shortening that clutch hub "redneck" style!!

TO REPEAT..........I would certainly jig up the pp, flywheel and disk and check release distance/ figures/ clearance on a press.
Can look around for a shorter hub disc but I really think that my pressure plate is my main problem, still waiting to hear from the guy that got me the bearing, he seems to think the bearing can be saved too but I'm not so sure.....

So why do you think that, have you actually checked it in a press?

In the early 70's I DID have trouble with a B&B pp that would not release clean.......turned out it had clutch disc "fuzz" trapped between the pp and the cover LOL

So why do you think that, have you actually checked it in a press?

In the early 70's I DID have trouble with a B&B pp that would not release clean.......turned out it had clutch disc "fuzz" trapped between the pp and the cover LOL
When the pressure plate was mounted onto the flywheel the fingers were flat and very close to the disc hub, so when the clutch pedal was pressed, I imagine the bearing wouldn't have much room to slide before hitting the hub, (I could be wrong of course), that's what I think has happened.

Nooooo don't say sorry I need all the advice I can get, I'm a total newbie to manual transmissions and need to learn!

I always ran a disc without marcel, you might get a little better 60ft time but I can be in the next gear while you are still pushing the clutch down to get it in the next gear. They are not good for racing and I can slip a clutch without a marcel. I ran them on the street, Hays drag race clutch all the time with no problem.

sorry for late reply guys, i didnt get any notifications that comments were being made on this thread, anyway, i have finally sorted out the problem, after being screwed around for so long i realized i was supplied with the wrong clutch disc, so i ended up machining the hub down to half its original length, had a guy here replace the sleeve on the hydraulic bearing and replaced the bearing itself, and i was finally able to take the car on its first drive out of the garage today! Just went up the street and came back, needs a wheel alignment badly.
Only issue with the clutch was that it seems to engage quite high up on the pedal release, and some minor shudder, other than that it drove fine, changed gears fine, just happy it's fixed!
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give me advice, much appreciated.

20171130_185750.jpg

20180121_113102.jpg

-
Back