another leak question (727)

-

zigs

Reaction score
Front seal is leaking on my 727 so I'm in the process of dropping it. When I pulled the drive line , fluid started leaking from the tail shaft , it wasn't leaking before I pulled it. the fluid had been collecting in the drive line input shaft. Could the fluid be finding its way back from the front seal? I know there are all kinds of possibilities for leaks but nothing else is leaking but front and back . I also had thought that the drive line may have been in too far. I marked it before I pulled it and it was in three inches.
IMG_20180113_135041023.jpg

That's normal. I forgot to put a baggie over my tail shaft when I dropped my 727. Kitty litter is my friend LOL

That's normal for trans fluid to pour out of tje tail shaft, you opened the hole when you slid the slip out , aka removed driveline , that is sealed by a bushing and balloon seal.

Also some of those yokes have a "freeze plug" in the end. Be sure it's not the culprit

Thanks Dell. Tranny was rebuilt not too long ago and if I remember right when I swapped
the 354 it leaked also. I get the front seal in
it should be OK.

Ur drive shat is too short 3 inches is not nearly enough. 5 inches would be a whole lot better. Check the bushing in the pump as well. And ur converter hub. Also the pump bolts for proper torque and the fiber washers behind them. Also the screw in plug for the kick down lever. Kim

Last edited:
Just to summarize- leaks in the rear can be rear seal or metal plug sealing spines. Worn bushing or slip yoke aggrevate these leaks. Removing the slip yoke opens up tranny to drain from main case. Front of tranny is sealed by a gasket and a seal. Be sure to install seal in correct direction. Also check "O" rings on shift shafts.

-
Back