Another Molding clip question.

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. I am in the planning mode for my build next year and trying to get most of the peices. but my question is, where/what/how does the chrome trim fit that goes accross the trunk filler panel? I have the chrome but it looks as though the mounting points have all rusted away or were ground off at some point in the cars life. there are a few rivets still in place but no clips. Can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks.
Jeff

Mine is a '75 but I don't imagine it's much different from a '72. There are several steel clips with nuts (three I seem to recall) that hold the rear trim piece on which spans the width of the top and about 6 plastic clips also. Crawl into your trunk and look above the trunk hinge assembly for the nuts on the underside which hold the chrome trim down at the corners. There's another steel clip with nut at the centre point of the window that holds the two chrome trim pieces together

rear vinyl trim.jpg

rear vinyl trim 2.jpg

rear vinyl trim 3.jpg

Thanks for the pics H22A4. most of the problem is a previous owner took off all the trim and started some body work. the little studs that the plastic clips connect to, well most sre gone, so all i have are small holes in the body panel. How or what can i do to fix that? I will take some pics if it stops raining today and after we get Christmas dinner done.
I am still in the planning mode so I have time to figure it out but really getting buged by how to hold my trim on once i get it all again. Thanks again.
Jeff

when i worked at chryslers back in the sixtys when we put the vinyl top on if the little steel tabs were not there to hold the plastic clips the repair guys would use small self tapping screws and put the plastic clips on with them.The little pins were spoy welded on and once the car was painted you could not spot weld the pins on .So get your clips and find some small screws to hold them in place .Good luck Bill Mcleese

Anyone know where to buy the plastic clips? I'm hoping to re-do my top in 2 weeks, but I cant locate a supplier.

My car has been stripped and is in primer. I left all the studs in place. I'm at work and can't verify, but it seems that the center of the trunk filler panel had 1 or more holes and not the studs, unsure why. Most of my clips crumbled when i took it apart, so I will also be looking for some soon. Anxious to see if they are out there or if we'll have to improvise.

I just went through it with a Camaro (sorry for the Chebby reference), anyway same idea, plastic tabs over studs for the door trim, turned out to be obsolete, nobody has them and nobody makes them. I needed 6 or 7 per door and had a total of 5, I was able to seat the trim over the studs alone reasonably well. I don't know if you will have any better luck for a Mopar.

I just got my vinyl top in from http://dantesparts.com/vinyltop.html. I havnt test fit it yet, but it looks like good material and stitching.

Since nobody has any leads on the clips, and I've emailed every A-Body specific supplier I could find, I'm going to try other methods. I'll post what I end up using.

I still have the metal studs in place. I have a few good clips left.. but I think they may break if I remove them from the trim. I would like to try and make a mold out of them, then cast some in resin backed with fiberglass strands. They won't be anything special, but I think it may work.

Or I may just end up pouring the resin directly into the trim and drill holes for the clips to enter. This would also work with screws if you dont have studs. The drilled holes could be filled with silicone or even jb weld for a tight fit. The resin would break before the JB weld, so removal would not be too bad...

Not quite there myself, but the next time I run down to the body supply house, I will take a piece of trim, surely something exists that will lock in and do what we need, even if it is not compatible with the studes, they can be removed and drilled to accept a screw or rivet.
Blue Moose keep us posted on your method.

I'm at the point that I may eliminate the vinyl if I don't find something i like.

Florida Auto Fastener, they are an ebay seller. they had some NOS moulding clips for my 66 that were impossible to find.

-
Back