Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Whoo-Hoo! The bellhousing showed up today. I'll be busy cleaning the garage and moving the funnycar back into the driveway today. Now that the signs are done (I got the dates put on them last night) I can concentrate on cars again.

View attachment 1714947038 View attachment 1714947039

I wish we had the headers and intake system here but at least we'll be able to start making headway with what we've got.
SWEET!!!

ariffle, - updates on your fish are past due. I hope you're taking a little time to give it some lovin'.

I'm still pretty burnt out from the marathon sign project so I didn't make much progress on cleaning the garage. I did take the time to put some color on that K-member.
IMG_7132.JPG
IMG_7134.JPG

When I went to test-bolt the bellhousing to the mock block I discovered that the threads were screwed up in a couple of the inserts. They weren't bad too but the bolts wouldn't thread in easily. Rather than make matters worse I decided to run a tap through them first.

I did make a small dent in the garage mess but it'll take me most of tomorrow to get it inhabitable.

I stuck my foot in my mouth again when I volunteered to help set up audio/video displays for the museum. The sarcastic side of me wanted to suggest they should show paint drying if they wanted to let visitors experience what it's like living here or that they show videos of ghost towns to give them a glimpse into the city's future. - But I decided they probably wanted to draw people in that weren't aware of where they were at. ... - the folks from other countries, the lost, and eventually the walking dead. So now I need to do research online for reasons why anyone would ever want to be here or ever admit they came from here. So far all I've come up with has to do with insanity or masochistic tendencies.

I don't know anything about the town there but what I do know, is that you have yourself a pretty sweet K-member there. I try not to make mention of other people's members but in this case, who couldn't?
As far as my project, let's just say it's stalled out.
Upon my first real venture outside my neighborhood I managed to explode my 727. I have it all torn down now. I can't believe it. I just finished buttoning up my custom exhaust just in time to remove it. It seems that God wants me to become an expert at everything I do by making me do everything multiple times. This will be the 4th. Time I have had to tear it apart. I could have bought a couple new transmissions by now. I'm getting pretty deterred. I'm praying I can do a better job of it this go around. This time I'very ordered just about EVERYTHING new inside the case. All high performance replacements and will be doing what I'm told to be a 700 HP rater T.F. 727. Guess I'm a slow learner.

I don't know anything about the town there but what I do know, is that you have yourself a pretty sweet K-member there. I try not to make mention of other people's members but in this case, who couldn't?
Upon my first real venture outside my neighborhood I managed to explode my 727. I have it all torn down now. I can't believe it. I just finished buttoning up my custom exhaust just in time to remove it. It seems that God wants me to become an expert at everything I do by making me do everything multiple times. This will be the 4th. Time I have had to tear it apart. I could have bought a couple new transmissions by now. I'm getting pretty deterred. I'm praying I can do a better job of it this go around. This time I'very ordered just about EVERYTHING new inside the case. All high performance replacements and will be doing what I'm told to be a 700 HP rater T.F. 727. Guess I'm a slow learner.
don`t feel pregnant! I`m so disgusted w/ an oil leak, I`m going to work on stuff I`ve been letting go for yrs. this month. get back to it whenever !

Yowch! Exploding transmissions could be due to a problem with too much power. - Guess you should have dropped a small block Chebby in there instead. :poke:

At least it gets easier each time a person has to re-do things. I've been dragging my heels swapping out torque converters in my Barracuda. Part of me really wants to get it done so I can see how it performs but then I worry about running a high stall around the streets. I suppose I should put in a transmission cooler to bleed off any additional heat generated.

One of the first things you notice with these K-members is all the extra room you gain for oil pans, headers and starter access. Shedding weight is obviously a plus too. The rack & pinion has me curious about how it will affect the steering feel.

Last edited:
don`t feel pregnant! I`m so disgusted w/ an oil leak, I`m going to work on stuff I`ve been letting go for yrs. this month. get back to it whenever !

Look on the bright side Bob. Hansel & Gretel had bread crumbs. We've got oil drips. Eventually we won't have to re-pave our driveways. :)

Last edited:
Holy crap! I was so busy with painting those signs this weekend that I totally spaced off the big swap meet at Fremont. :BangHead:

Look on the Brite side, you saved yourself money and garage space.

Ya but I'll always be wondering if someone there was selling a 426 Hemi for $100 and I missed out. Even my garage isn't so crowded that I'd have passed that up. :(

Last edited:
Some folks say they work at a feverish pace. I work at a pace that seems like I'm sick with a fever. I've been keeping busy nonetheless. The garage is 'clean enough' to work in again. I assembled the cherry picker because I think I'll still need it to drop the mock engine/transmission combo in.
IMG_7136.JPG

I've got the funny outside and it'll probably be staying there for awhile.
IMG_7138.JPG

In preparation for the K-member install I decided to do some finish work on the outside of those inner fenders.
IMG_7137.JPG

When I started losing daylight outside I decided to uncrate the Tremec and bolt it up to the mock block. Spencer ordered the transmission from RPM and Quick Time supplied the bellhousing. I'm not sure which one screwed up - probably Quick Time. They didn't send enough bolts and the ones that attach to the transmission are way too short. I think I'm only grabbing a couple of threads. It may not be a major problem but when you spend about $5500 you shouldn't expect any issues.

IMG_7139.JPG
IMG_7140.JPG

If I have time tomorrow I'll try to fabricate a cradle so we can work on the accessories outside of the car. I'd also like to start making a rear motor plate for the funnycar so I can set the old Hemi in it but I doubt I'll get around to it.

Your getting a lot more done than I have lately. I'm hoping I get my transmission. Torn down in the next couple days so I can get all that I need ordered up.
Between my Daughters Dodge and my son's pickup repairs I'll have to look into selling a kidney so I can get my 67 on a real maiden voyage. John, you help keep my spirits high with all your posts of projects you have been tackling.

Your getting a lot more done than I have lately. I'm hoping I get my transmission. Torn down in the next couple days so I can get all that I need ordered up.
Between my Daughters Dodge and my son's pickup repairs I'll have to look into selling a kidney so I can get my 67 on a real maiden voyage. John, you help keep my spirits high with all your posts of projects you have been tackling.

I dunno. I feel like such a slug. The energy level I had (even 3 years ago) was so much more than I have now. I'm sure I'm not getting anything done any faster than anyone else but I do tend to post updates every time I accomplish each ounce of work. I do still try to hold myself to the goal of making a little progress each day though.

Last edited:
Aftermarket companies seldom supply the correct hardware, or good quality hardware, with their stuff. Come to think of it, I don't think they ever do!

Look on the bright side Bob. Hansel & Gretel had bread crumbs. We've got oil drips. Eventually we won't have to re-pave our driveways. :)

that's one of the things I`ve been letting go for a couple of yrs. , recoating the asphalt driveway.

Aftermarket companies seldom supply the correct hardware, or good quality hardware, with their stuff. Come to think of it, I don't think they ever do!

I could never understand why companies that sell big ticket items don't include things like instructions or troubleshooting manuals. I don't expect a set of instructions when I pick up a nut & bolt at a hardware store - it wouldn't be cost effective. - But I would like to see more information included with the complex expensive items. Not everyone is an expert. Sometimes dummies like me purchase from these companies and we really could use any extra knowledge they could provide. Throw on top of that - leaving out necessary fasteners or supplying ones that are the wrong length and it could be a recipe for disaster. This Tremec has been modified to handle in excess of 1000 HP. I could imagine some guys using the bolts that they'd sent me and having everything come apart on them.

Last edited:
It's been a busy day here today. Although I bought aluminum to fabricate the rear motor plate I didn't get a template made yet to drill my bolt holes. I took the Hemi off it's stand though so we could mount the 426 mock block in it's place. We'll need it on a stand while we're figuring out the accessory components. In order to test fit the mock into the Charger I pulled the hood off and set it inside for now.

IMG_7163.JPG

We began re-assembling the K-member setup as soon as Spencer got here.

IMG_7141.JPG

For the most part things went smoothly but we saw some clearance issues I hadn't noticed before with the old K-member. The rubber boots on each end of the rack assembly were rubbing on the lower control arm pivot shafts.

IMG_7142.JPG

IMG_7146.JPG

I called Denny up and he said that we could gain clearance by replacing the two 1" aluminum spacers that are between the rack and the K-frame with thinner ones without causing problems. Eliminating them would give us more clearance than what we need and put the rod ends at too much of an angle so we'll do some final measurements before we figure out the optimum thickness we need and he'll send some replacements.

Another concern we had was with clearance for the lines for the power rack. The left motor mount is pretty close. I talked to Denny about this too. He knew it was tight but thinks we'll be able to run some hard lines that will clear. I still need to send him some photos. He's probably right about being able to make it work but I won't know for sure until I get some more fittings.

IMG_7143.JPG

IMG_7144.JPG

Once we finished putting the K-frame back together we turned our attention to fitting the engine/transmission.

IMG_7147.JPG

With 90% of the weight being the transmission I used a strap behind the bellhousing to allow us to tip the assembly into the engine bay. I was afraid to put much load on the plastic block thinking I might break out those rear bolt inserts.

IMG_7148.JPG

Once we had it in place I marked the bottom side of the floor with a paint marker and began cutting from underneath. Because there were floor clearance issues we couldn't get the exact transmission location but we were close enough to make the initial cuts. I finished the cuts from inside the car.

IMG_7149.JPG

IMG_7155.JPG

The Tremec has different shifter locations on it's body that can be used. We're still not sure if we can find a shifter assembly that will get us close to the factory 4-speed location. Spence and I started researching it tonight but it will probably take a few phone calls tomorrow to find out for sure. The floor modification can't be finished until we have the parts on hand. Maybe we'll get them ordered tomorrow too.

IMG_7156.JPG

IMG_7158.JPG

You can see that the transmission crossmember had to be cut. We'll have to fab a new one. I suppose I'll be getting rid of the old torsion bar mounts too but I won't worry about them until we get the geometry correct on the engine/transmission. We may be using some of the info that was on a link Abodybomber had posted this week. It showed how to set the correct angles for engine/transmission/driveshaft/rear ends.
IMG_7159.JPG

IMG_7161.JPG

This is the way we left her sitting for the night. We'll hopefully make good progress tomorrow.

IMG_7164.JPG

The Tremec has different shifter locations on it's body that can be used. We're still not sure if we can find a shifter assembly that will get us close to the factory 4-speed location. Spence and I started researching it tonight but it will probably take a few phone calls tomorrow to find out for sure. The floor modification can't be finished until we have the parts on hand. Maybe we'll get them ordered tomorrow too.

The six bolts that hold the shifter on can be removed and you can literally flip the shifter to get the forward position. You can also buy a "white lightening" or similar shifter that has the offset handle location that will allow you to clock the base of the shifter 2" in any direction.

Flipping the "included" shifter moves it forward 3-1/2 inches. If you buy the mid shift conversion that moves it forward 7 inches. Then there are the offset handles...

Last edited:
The six bolts that hold the shifter on can be removed and you can literally flip the shifter to get the forward position. You can also buy a "white lightening" or similar shifter that has the offset handle location that will allow you to clock the base of the shifter 2" in any direction.

Flipping the "included" shifter moves it forward 3-1/2 inches. If you buy the mid shift conversion that moves it forward 7 inches. Then there are the offset handles...

My son was already aware of the various shifter mounting options and it was our original intent to get the shifter handle as close to the factory position as possible. We even hoped that we'd be able to use the 4-speed hump without cutting the floor up. But... ... before we ordered a shifter we decided to make sure the original 4-speed location was what worked best. Reading online it seemed that the shifter action was going to be quite a bit different from the 4-speeds we were used to. We weren't sure if running an extremely long shifter arm wasn't going to create issues.

Some of the other pictures I've posted of the floor looked as if the floor was full of rust. A lot of what you saw was a combination of the orange-ish brown glue residue, dirt and insulation. There was some minor surface rust also but these floors are new sheet metal. After a quick cleaning with a flapper disc they look pretty good again. I'd used a little flux core 110 welder when I'd welded in the hump a few years back. Even those welds looked fairly nice.

IMG_7174.JPG

We rethought maintaining the original floor location and decided to install one of the bucket seats to see if a new spot wouldn't work as well if not better. We left the shifter in it's rear most position and held onto a rubber mallet imagining it was our shifter handle. Throughout the seat adjustments (forward & back) it actually seemed to be a decent location. Knowing it wouldn't look stock we still felt it was a viable way to go.

IMG_7166.JPG

IMG_7168.JPG

Our next step was to see if we could gain enough clearance in the transmission tunnel to fully raise the Tremec into place. Although we hadn't gotten to the point of setting the drivetrain angle with an angle finder we knew we were way too low. In order to go higher we needed to start cutting the tunnel. First we enlarged the opening for the shifter. Then we started cutting out the old 4-speed hump. I tried to be as careful as possible because I hoped we could salvage part of that hump and use a stock Charger shifter boot.

IMG_7177.JPG

IMG_7181.JPG

IMG_7182.JPG

IMG_7183.JPG

IMG_7184.JPG

We still had clearance problems. The transmission has several tabs on the housing that I didn't want to cut off even if we weren't going to need them and the top of the transmission's main body really needed to be higher than we had it even when we were against the bottom of the tunnel. Eventually we ended up cutting the tunnel out and we'll have to fab a new one now. I'm pretty sure we'll still use part of that hump I salvaged though.

Last edited:
Yup, you have to make a new tunnel. The tremec sits higher than the ol" A833. Search my thread and see what I did. Worked out pretty well. :) Only need about an inch. When you're done, it's not a noticeable difference.

Yup, you have to make a new tunnel. The tremec sits higher than the ol" A833. Search my thread and see what I did. Worked out pretty well. :) Only need about an inch. When you're done, it's not a noticeable difference.

A body and B body will be a little different of course. Here is a series of pictures showing the tunnel mod, console fitment and shifter position. We ended up moving the console brackets back a little which will limit how far forward the seat will move. Seats are in rear most position in the pictures.

DSC08266.JPG

DSC07046.jpg

DSC02425.JPG

P82A0233.JPG

P82A0208.jpg

-
Back