Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
"Lowly Dodge"? Back in the '30s Dodge was the 4th-5th best selling make in the U.S.! Plus, while "Chrysler" sold Plymouths, Desotos, Dodges, and Chryslers, Dodge was usually considered the 2nd most "prestigious" make in the lineup.

My reference to Dodges as 'lowly' wasn't meant to reflect my assessment of the Chrysler line. My buddy has a Model A and a Nash and has always had an eye for the more prestigious makes such as Duesenbergs, Rios, Packards, & such. He'd always considered his Nash to be one of the higher end makes but a lot of the details on the Dodge really surpass it.
704659_10152313511015650_1277259673_o.jpg
10806465_10154903183760650_9085097004559992995_n.jpg

Last edited:
That buddy of mine is more of a Chebby guy. I really think that this Dodge commercial that came out a while back influenced his decision to do a Mopar.

Boy, some of the vehicles made back then were real works of art. Looking at photos of them really makes you feel that most cars produced today have lost any personality.
That is so very true. I'm not really into those really old cars, though. In fact, before the mid sixties, I pretty much loose interest. They sure are beautiful and they did have a lot more personality, that's for sure. Of course it's the laws of physics that have forced all automotive makers to produce cars that all look the same. There really aren't that many ways you can make a car that has a low coefficient of drag.
Some manage, like Ferrari, but most companies try to make the noses of their cars to appear unique, most with questionable result.
I love the new Challenger, the Charger not quite as much, but really, it's just a re-make of the muscle era version. It's really not very creative, IMO.

Last edited:
That is so very true. I'm not really into those really old cars, though. In fact, before the mid sixties, I pretty much loose interest. They sure are beautiful and they did have a lot more personality, that's for sure. Of course it's the laws of physics that have forced all automotive makers to produce cars that all look the same. There really aren't that many ways you can make a car that has a low coefficient of drag.
Some manage, like Ferrari, but most companies try to make the noses of their cars to appear unique, most with questionable result.
I love the new Challenger, the Charger not quite as much, but really, it's just a re-make of the muscle era version. It's really not very creative, IMO.

At one time I had a goal to own at least one car from every decade since the 1920s. I'd given up on that plan a long time ago but I did get several.

I've still got a fiberglass '23 T-Bucket that I consider represents the 20s plus the '28 Model A pickup. At one time I had another fiberglass T that was a gasser in the 60s (I still have the early Hemi from it)

I had a '33 Plymouth 5-window coupe (I should have kept) for my 30s car.

I never bought any 40s or 50s vehicles but I'd always wanted a 40 Willys and a 55 Chevy.

For the 60s I had a 64 Fury, a 64 Polara, a 66 Impala, a 68 Fury, a 68 Roadrunner, a 68 Chevelle, a 69 Camaro, a 69 Superbee, and of course my 67 Barracuda. If I count my son's 68 Charger that would be another.

For the 70s I had my 70 Roadrunner, a 70 Superbird, a 70 Camaro, a 71 Satellite, the 72 Duster, a 72 Dodge crew cab dually, a 74 Cuda, my 77 Dodge club cab dually, and my 79 Lil Red Express. Although the funnycar isn't really a production vehicle I suppose I could count it too. I also had one other funnycar (body only). It was a 70 Cuda. The My son's 70 Roadrunner could count as another.

I had a 1980 Mirada. There were other cars (less memorable) from the 80s and beyond.

The muscle car era has always been my favorite but I was heavily influenced by all of the iconic race cars I'd seen during my youth. Restorations are great but my personal taste was for the hotrods. My son's new Challenger is one of the few newer cars that I like the styling on. It does evoke memories of the earlier years.

Last edited:
I finally started the fiberglass repair work on the funnycar body. My plan is to revamp the sides and the front spoiler before attacking the roof. This shot is of the inside of the right hand side of the body. I should probably borrow a rotisserie but for now I'm getting by with the body propped up and a tarp over the chassis.
IMG_7081.JPG

The progress on the funnycar body is slow but I'm making ground. I figure it'll take a couple gallons of resin. I've got 72 square feet of fiberglass which should be way more than I'll need. I'll try to build up certain areas for additional strength and may even add in some reinforcing aluminum rods.

I had a box of disposable brushes that I'd gotten at Harbor Freight but unfortunately I used them up working on the house. My per brush cost at Harbor Freight was about 40 cents. The cheapest brushes here in town are around $1.50. It may not seem significant but I'm estimating I'll need 40 to 50.

The early funnycars did not have escape doors in their roofs so I've decided to fill the opening someone had cut. I started by attaching a cardboard fill piece beneath the opening and put the first layer of glass over it. I'll probably do 2 more layers above that and then put a few layers on the bottom side.

I'm also going to fill the hole in the hood the same way I'm doing the roof. After I get it finished off I'll cut a new hole after I determine the blower location.

It looks awfully rough now but it's already obvious that the body is much sturdier than when I started. After all the breaks are repaired I can start the process of grinding down all the excess and begin the finish work.
IMG_7082.JPG
IMG_7084.JPG
IMG_7085.JPG
IMG_7089.JPG
IMG_7088.JPG
IMG_7087.JPG

I finished buffing the trim pieces for the 1930 Dodge today. I didn't want to have them sitting around here gathering dust and having to worry about losing any pieces amongst my garage mess.

I did call on the Roadrunner again and it's STILL not done. The last few times I've called I've used my 'pissy' voice but I haven't been able to talk to anybody other than the guys at the parts counter. This is getting insane.

.....and I thought I had a lot of projects.

An accurate comparison would be that I've got several pennies and you've got a few $100 bills. LOL. Spencer says he's coming back home next weekend. I'm hoping we'll get the modified K-member back from you by then. I've been in a rush (considering how slow I move) to get done laying the fiberglass on the funnycar before he arrives. I want to get the Charger back inside so we can figure out the transmission mounts. - That's assuming the T-56 will get here this next week too.

Spence is struggling to get the funds together to buy the blower assembly asap. Now that the plastic mock up block is here it'd be nice to assemble everything we can and make sure it all works together. With any luck we'll have any problems sorted out before the engine parts have to be sent off to MRL.

It's been a real juggling act around here. A member of the local historical museum approached me a few days ago and asked if I'd make them a sign to help draw in more visitors. I should have passed but instead I volunteered to do it for free. I should have my head examined.
bc4.jpg

Last edited:
....should be ready to ship Tuesday. On the motor (spool) mounts, do you want poly ...or rubber. I switched to rubber on mine some time ago to soften any vibration.

just from what others have said....be careful relying on the plastic mock up. I use an dummy / junk block with a window missing out of the side and the cam lifter bores blown apart......but perfectly good for accurate fitting.

67 Cuda- I need that 74 Duster Gold bench seat you have. Want to get rid of it?

....should be ready to ship Tuesday. On the motor (spool) mounts, do you want poly ...or rubber. I switched to rubber on mine some time ago to soften any vibration.

just from what others have said....be careful relying on the plastic mock up. I use an dummy / junk block with a window missing out of the side and the cam lifter bores blown apart......but perfectly good for accurate fitting.

I haven't been able to get in contact with Spencer yet to ask him about the motor mounts but I'll let you know which he wants as soon as I do. If I don't find out before you're ready to ship - just send the rubber.

I'd read some complaints about the mock up blocks before so I'm wondering what type of luck we'll have. I think it'll be good enough to locate the transmission and the blower intake. One complaint I'd read was concerning the holes for the exhaust flanges. I'm hoping they're accurate enough for us to test headers. I wish it had a crankshaft provision so it would be more useful for figuring out the accessories on the front of the engine.

Last edited:
67 Cuda- I need that 74 Duster Gold bench seat you have. Want to get rid of it?

Holy-ch-moly! I think it would cost a small fortune to send that seat to Florida. If you know someone traveling through this area we might be able to work something out but there has to be a cheaper seat option available to you.

Last edited:
actually, on the HDK exclusive (in house / not Schumacher) Stage II Hemi motor mounts they are easy to change....I can send both (extra $30)

Try Fastenal. I shipped 2 coronet fenders out of New York to me for 75 bucks.

FASTENAL?? I thought they were a distributor for fasteners. There are two locations within 25 miles of me but I never thought of them as a shipping company.

Last edited:
actually, on the HDK exclusive (in house / not Schumacher) Stage II Hemi motor mounts they are easy to change....I can send both (extra $30)

I contacted Spence about the motor mounts and his initial response was to go with the polyurethane. - But we discussed the possible benefits & shortcomings of each design. We assume there must be an improvement in vibration dampening if you went to the rubber but are wondering if there would be a noticeable difference in engine movement. With a blower we'll allow extra clearance in the hood opening for motor movement but will there be a need for more clearance if we use the rubber mounts? Did you notice a change in how much your engine rocked between the two? We've come to the conclusion that we'll go with the rubber ones if the difference isn't perceptible. - Otherwise we'd want the polyurethane so we can keep the hood opening as small as possible.

Last edited:
Teresa and I tend to get each other gifts on Mother's Day & Father's Day. It helps to soften any disappointment if our kids don't acknowledge those days. We're not complaining but sometimes it's happened.

This year Teresa took a snapshot of the Barracuda and had Wally World blow it up into a poster for me. It's 8 foot long by 2 foot tall.

IMG_7092.JPG

I'd been hinting around that I'd like one made 'some day' for the man cave basement. - Looks good hanging next to the SNAKE & MONGOOSE banner.

IMG_7095.JPG
IMG_7098.JPG

-
Back