Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Hey John. You've been busy this summer.

Isn't that an original 426 Hemi? I've always thought it was an aftermarket engine? No, your son is buying a KB Hemi but you've got an original one?

Hey John. You've been busy this summer.

Isn't that an original 426 Hemi? I've always thought it was an aftermarket engine? No, your son is buying a KB Hemi but you've got an original one?

I WISH!!! No it's a first gen 331 Hemi. I bought an old fuel altered years ago that it was in. - A turtle deck T. It has a Howard's roller cam, aluminum roller rockers, a Howard's 'fuelie' front cover, 13&1/2 to 1 pistons, sodium-filled valves, been stroked, etc... and was running 6 Stromberg carbs when I bought it. The old zoomies were pretty small so I bought a larger tube kit. I picked up the Cragar blower manifold from someone I ran into years later. Unfortunately I had a Hilborn and an Enderle for it but sold them both years ago.

Last edited:
Now that the engine mounts are welded up I need to start thinking about transmissions. I think I'll adapt to a torqueflite. HOT HEADS wants $410 for the setup.

25000.jpg

When I bought the altered, the Hemi was coupled to a '35 Ford transmission that never was able to withstand a 1/4 mile pass without breaking (according to the guy I bought it from). He said the best they were able to run was 12 seconds babying the car. Anytime they pushed it - bad things happened.

I've still got the 904 that I pulled from the Barracuda and was thinking about using it. HOT HEADS lists their adapter as being for the 727 and 518. Is there a flex plate difference with the 904? I swapped mine as a package.

Now I'm no expert, but don't LA engines share the bellhousing bolt pattern with some early Hemis? So a 904 for an LA might just bolt onto that 331? I suggest you inquire with Hot Heads about this, or better yet post a question at HAMB or somewhere else where they know about the old, old stuff. As opposed to the just old stuff (made under 50 years ago).

I WISH!!! No it's a first gen 331 Hemi. I bought an old fuel altered years ago that it was in. - A turtle deck T. It has a Howard's roller cam, aluminum roller rockers, a Howard's 'fuelie' front cover, 13&1/2 to 1 pistons, sodium-filled valves, been stroked, etc... and was running 6 Stromberg carbs when I bought it. The old zoomies were pretty small so I bought a larger tube kit. I picked up the Cragar blower manifold from someone I ran into years later. Unfortunately I had a Hilborn and an Enderle for it but sold them both years ago.
Well, ok. I had a feeling that it looked kinda oldish in the design. So it's stroked? What displacement does it have now? Should be a pretty exotic piece with all those trick parts.

Now I'm no expert, but don't LA engines share the bellhousing bolt pattern with some early Hemis? So a 904 for an LA might just bolt onto that 331? I suggest you inquire with Hot Heads about this, or better yet post a question at HAMB or somewhere else where they know about the old, old stuff. As opposed to the just old stuff (made under 50 years ago).

I wish you were an expert with them. Years ago a buddy of mine stuffed a blown 392 into a '53 Business Coupe and coupled it to a small block torqueflite with an adapter kit. I don't remember the specifics but I believe it involved spacing and possibly crankshaft centerline.

Last edited:
Well, ok. I had a feeling that it looked kinda oldish in the design. So it's stroked? What displacement does it have now? Should be a pretty exotic piece with all those trick parts.

Hey Anders! I just realized that you've recovered from all that dancing around those poles. Good to hear from you again.

This motor has been collecting dust out at our farm since the mid seventies. Back then I didn't know much about Hemis and actually thought I was buying a 426. The guy told me he didn't know the displacement. Without any local resources for information it took me awhile to figure out that a rear distributor meant it was an old style engine.

Back then I couldn't find info at our library so I bought one of the big Direct Connection books. The section on early Hemis was pretty small but it listed the bore/stroke combinations. It's been 40 years since I measured it and I don't remember the stroke anymore but I know it didn't match any of the ones listed in the manual.

direct-connection.jpg

Aftermarket speed parts for that Hemi were hard to come by at that time so it sat waiting as I slowly accumulated whatever I could find. The biggest hold up I had was trying to find a way to adapt a transmission to it. I knew somebody made them but didn't know who. Although I never got anywhere with it back then I constantly used the manual for advice on the big blocks I ran in my Roadrunner.

I wish I'd hung onto that 6 deuce setup and some of the other parts I got rid of.

Last edited:
Hey Anders! I just realized that you've recovered from all that dancing around those poles. Good to hear from you again.

Good to be back. It's probably temporary, though. I'm going back to the summer house tonight.

I wish I'd hung onto that 6 deuce setup and some of the other parts I got rid of.
I'll bet.

Good to be back. It's probably temporary, though. I'm going back to the summer house tonight.

Summer house? That's what I call my garage. - of course it's sort of like my winter house too... Surely you've got room for your Dart there?

Last edited:
Well, sort of. It's not a roller yet so shipping it out there is way too much trouble. Plus I don't have half the tools I have at home. Besides, there are plenty of other things that have higher priority once I'm there. Swimming, building soapbox cars and having barbecues.
Wrenching is a winter (which is nine months of the year) activity.

Well, sort of. It's not a roller yet so shipping it out there is way too much trouble. Plus I don't have half the tools I have at home. Besides, there are plenty of other things that have higher priority once I'm there. Swimming, building soapbox cars and having barbecues.
Wrenching is a winter (which is nine months of the year) activity.

SLACKER!! LOL! - Hey, you'll have to post some pics of those soapbox cars. That could be interesting.

red-bull-soap-box-race-london-2015.jpg
soap-box-derby-nb2.jpg
0.jpg
20120520-89.jpg
20120520-333.jpg
1435833744-3e0ed586eedbde0c86ad801b72420dbd-1366x808.jpg
hrdp_0801_soap_05_z+soap_box_start.jpg

Last edited:
Some sweet rides there. Ours will be more 'rustique' and adapted for off-road use since we have zero tarmac and only limited gravel roads available.

I won't be able to get much done today. I've got a wedding to attend so nothing will happen unless I get busy tonight. This morning I picked up some more steel for the funnycar engine mounts. I still need to weld on some 1/2" thick plates for the front motor mounts to bolt to. I'll drill & tap them so there won't be a need to get underneath the car for removal.

My eyes must be getting worse. I'm having a real hard time seeing when I'm welding and it's making it difficult to do a nice job. I removed the clear lenses in my helmet but it didn't help much. I may have to see if I can find a lighter tinted lens. I could still see well enough to be confident of penetration but the welds are sloppy and nonuniform. After I dress them up a bit they should still look presentable.

IMG_7322.JPG

IMG_7323.JPG

IMG_7324.JPG

IMG_7325.JPG

IMG_7326.JPG

IMG_7327.JPG

The Barracuda hood still isn't repaired. After my sinuses flared up the other day I took a break from it and haven't finished it.

IMG_7309.JPG

- Not sure why I'm feeling so burnt out today. I got off to a late start and have been piddling since.

I'd cut some 1/2" steel plates to weld on top of the pipe being used for front engine mounts. After grinding the new plate edges smooth I marked the tubing on the chassis where it needed to be cut off. A cut-off wheel made quick work of the tubes. Next I fit the plates above the tubing and marked where I needed to drill & tap. My plan was to bolt the plates in place before doing any welding.

Everything was going OK until it came time to tap the holes. When I struggled with the first tap I swapped it out for another one I had. I made it half way through the first hole when my tap handle broke. Dang! I was using WD-40 as a cutting fluid but it didn't seem to help. I know the taps have been used a number of times. Maybe they're no longer sharp enough. The tap handle was from Harbor Freight so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised it was suicidal.

The needle on the circular wall thermometer only shows 85' today but I've had sweat pouring off me. Maybe it's on it's second time around. I'm still hoping on making more progress but I had to take a break from the frustration. I've got a second tap handle here but it's smaller. I might be stuck until I make a parts store run tomorrow. I've been tempted to cheat by enlarging the holes a bit but I don't really want to lose any holding strength when the motor's bolted down.

John, I used to use WD40 for tapping forever. Finally bought fluid made for tapping, holy ****!!!, never going back to WD40. So much easier.

John, I used to use WD40 for tapping forever. Finally bought fluid made for tapping, holy ****!!!, never going back to WD40. So much easier.

Thanks Mitch. I'd had guys tell me that WD-40 worked as good and have been using it for years. I guess the more I think about it the more I realize that I've never seen professional shops using WD-40 for drilling & tapping. I guess I'll need to put tapping fluid on my shopping list.

Last edited:
Even regular motor oil is better than WD-40 for drilling & especially tapping.
know what u mean about the sweat pouring off of u. the last day that I put down any blacktop sealer it was 87 , and I was soaked in about 5 min. "okla humidity" . Am going to put the last bucket (21st.) down today, as no rain is expected for a while now. I parted out a kfx700 Kawasaki 4 wheeler, and let some oil stand on the blacktop, it turned the spot to mush. had to repair that and let it dry, took 4 days! getting the urge to work on the fish again, been 7 yrs building now, going to buy the 7th black tag. dam I m`slow ! would like to take it to mopars in the park this yr. fingers crossed on that. you are doing some pretty good work there, wish I had your drive !

know what u mean about the sweat pouring off of u. the last day that I put down any blacktop sealer it was 87 , and I was soaked in about 5 min. "okla humidity" . Am going to put the last bucket (21st.) down today, as no rain is expected for a while now.

That driveway is beginning to sound like it's one of the road projects going on around here. I'm picturing you wearing a hard hat and an orange/yellow vest while holding a stop sign. Maybe you need a half dozen guys standing around watching while you're working. It seems to be the formula I see most.

Banner3.jpg

getting the urge to work on the fish again, been 7 yrs building now, going to buy the 7th black tag. dam I m`slow ! would like to take it to mopars in the park this yr. fingers crossed on that.

I just realized that you could have started rebuilding a new car and been able to get antique plates for it when you finish at that rate!

wish I had your drive !

Wish I had your driveway.

Last edited:
Holy Crap! Yesterday I began to think I was rich because what I thought was mild steel might have been diamond. I did buy a new tap, handle, and tapping fluid today. Either they made a HUGE difference or someone's replaced the steel with butter. I'm glad I didn't continue fighting it last night.

Years ago I had used some stuff called Panther Piss. They didn't have it but they did have RAPID TAP.

IMG_7328.JPG

My Harbor Freight tap handle that I used yesterday.

IMG_7329.JPG

The new tap handle from NAPA. It's obviously beefier.

IMG_7330.JPG

I'm ready to fry the new plates in place now. :)

IMG_7331.JPG

IMG_7332.JPG

While I was at the NAPA store today I had them shoot me some prices on 2'5" exhaust tubing. The zoomies I have are too short and the bends need to be located much further away from the flanges so that they'll clear the frame & body. They want $4.20 per foot for straight tubes and around $25 each for 90' bends. I figure it'd cost me around $350 if I use my old flanges.

That seems like a crapload of money to me. When I worked at Walker Manufacturing back in the 70s we could buy any diameter tubing for a nickle per foot from them. I realize they were giving employees a break but I wasn't prepared for this kind of expense.

JEGS is cheaper. They want around $3.25 per foot and about $18 for bends. Even at their prices it'd cost me over $260 (with my old flanges).

It's hard to buy a pre-made set and have them fit correctly. I may have to search out some of my old co-workers from Walkers and see if they can still get tubing.

With the plates tacked in place for the motor mounts I went ahead and made some brackets for a radiator. I'd picked up the radiator at a swap meet awhile back for $20 and wasn't sure I'd ever find a use for it but couldn't pass it up for that price.

It may seem out of place to run a cooling system on a funnycar but this will be more of an econo-funny.

IMG_7333.JPG
IMG_7334.JPG

While I was at the NAPA store today I had them shoot me some prices on 2'5" exhaust tubing. The zoomies I have are too short and the bends need to be located much further away from the flanges so that they'll clear the frame & body. They want $4.20 per foot for straight tubes and around $25 each for 90' bends. I figure it'd cost me around $350 if I use my old flanges.

That seems like a crapload of money to me. When I worked at Walker Manufacturing back in the 70s we could buy any diameter tubing for a nickle per foot from them. I realize they were giving employees a break but I wasn't prepared for this kind of expense.

JEGS is cheaper. They want around $3.25 per foot and about $18 for bends. Even at their prices it'd cost me over $260 (with my old flanges).

It's hard to buy a pre-made set and have them fit correctly. I may have to search out some of my old co-workers from Walkers and see if they can still get tubing.
How much is a (used) tube bender? Steel tubing must be possible to get in long lengths at much lower prices from non-auto part suppliers.

Hell yes! Had 273 adjustable rockers,on my 408. Swapped to the Comp adjustment locknut\adjustment bolt,(hardened,to match the high zoot pushrods..),tapped to clean the pinch thread,in the rockers.Wd-40,wouldn't touch it,went with actual cutting oil.Holy Shnikes,what a difference.

-
Back