Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
I don't know what the temperature was but it was sub freezing. The bad news was that those wide tires on the back weren't going to make the icy snow packed roads any easier to drive across. The good news was that we were heading south.

It took us a while to figure out how to keep the windows from frosting up. That ceramic heater was fine for keeping a small area of the windshield thawed and it was so cold that we'd started using it as a hand warmer before we'd gotten a half hour away from where we started. But as it turned out, we needed to open the wing windows to get cold air on the glass. As long as the windshield was the same temperature inside as it was outside, - it stayed clear. The blankets filtered any moisture from our breath so it didn't glaze the windows. I was wearing two pairs of socks. I should have worn three. Every so often I had to pull my shoes off to massage some heat back into my feet.

We were running pretty far behind schedule. The slick roads slowed us down. Each time a semi truck would pass us we'd lose traction and the car would get squirrely. Although we hadn't run into bad weather, poor visibility through the windshield slowed us even further. The Nebraska and Iowa portion of the trip was the hardest. I think it must have taken us an hour just to get across Omaha. There wasn't enough snow on the roads to worry about getting stuck. But the traffic was slow and unless you had a gentle touch with the brakes you'd start skidding real quick. It wasn't until we were most of the way through Missouri that the road conditions improved. We could tell it was beginning to get warmer. I thought that we'd take turns sleeping but the co-pilot had to keep the windshield clear for the driver. I don't know if we could have slept much with that cold anyway.

For the most part the trip was uneventful. The Chevelle was no economy car but it wasn't as thirsty as I thought it would be. I think we averaged around 13 or 14 mpg. As the temperature rose so did our spirits. It really wears you out when you've spent the better part of ten hours straining to see through the windshield. I'm not complaining. I was still enjoying the trip. The sound of that big block might have lulled others to sleep but it had the opposite effect on us. It had kept us pumped up during the trip instead of regretting we'd chosen to embark. It was in the same tradition as Kowalski that we kept on going (although without the police chases or high speeds).

12798-20533-jpg.jpg

We were able to open it up more as we crossed southern Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennesee. We weren't trying to break any speed records but it felt good to see what the car could do. Fellow road travelers weren't as hagard as the ones on the highways up north. There were a lot more thumbs ups as we continued on. And of course there were those occasional newer gen Camaros and Mustangs that would pull alongside and then gun it. We may not have been in a rocket ship but we were sporting more than enough horses to make them realize that they were little more than wannabees.

Somewhere south of Nashville the car started to get warm. We hadn't noticed it until we'd pulled over to gas up and saw the dribble beneath. We couldn't see any leaks other than through the overflow hose. Our assumption was that we'd pushed it just a little too hard prior to refueling.

Within a half hour the temperature began rising again. We didn't have a cell phone (what do you think we are, pussies?) or GPS. All we had were road maps. So we weren't sure how far it was to the next gas station. When we pulled over to the side of the road we could see coolant coming from the bottom side of the water pump. Luckily we had filled the antifreeze jug back up after we'd topped the radiator off earlier. Unluckily, we could see that the stream underneath wasn't stopping. After letting it cool down we put the rest of our water in and headed on down the road. At the next exit we bought some stop leak, more coolant, and filled our old jug back up. It was a band-aid at best but we felt we could still finish the trip if we kept the speed down and pulled over to refill the cooling system whenever necessary. Sometimes we'd shut the engine off and coast down long hills to try to make it further between stops.

View attachment 12798-20533.jpg

Last edited:
When we'd pulled to the side of the road somewhere in Alabama to let things cool, a guy pulled up beside us to offer assistance. We told him that our water pump had failed and we were limping the car on to Georgia. At first we had turned down his offer figuring that there was little he could do. But when he told us there was a parts store open ten miles away it piqued my interest. He even gave us his address and said we could use his tools to make the fix.

I hadn't gotten my hopes up too high. Even if we made it to the parts store there was no guarantee they'd have a water pump in stock for a 40 year old vehicle. But I knew that the car needed to be fixed. Even if we made it back to Spencer's base he'd be left with the task of getting it done. - And he didn't have any tools other than the few we'd brought with us. He'd still be screwed.

So we babied the car to that nearest town where the parts store was located. Although I'd expected them to laugh at us when we asked for the pump, the guy at the counter simply turned around and grabbed one off the shelf. We spent the additional necessary to get everything we thought we'd need. I didn't think that the parts guys would want us making the swap in their parking lot. Most likely we'd be leaving behind a much bigger puddle of coolant than we already were. A car wash seemed like a good choice to start tearing things apart, but it must have been car wash Sunday at the only car wash in town. I didn't think the line of locals would appreciate a couple of Nebraskans defiling one of their businesses.

After a bit of discussion we decided to seek out that gentleman that had offered us the use of his garage. It meant backtracking at least 15 miles but it seemed to be our best option.

In Nebraska the majority of our roads run directly east and west or north and south. Addresses are usually easy to find. I don't know how you folks elsewhere keep from getting lost. And the trees! I swear that I had my fill of seeing trees. As we looked for the home of this guy we went up and down hills that wound back and forth like we were on some demented corkscrew - never able to see more than a hundred feet in front of us because of all the trees. In the back of my head I could start to imagine banjo music.

I think I'd already seen this same scenario in at least a dozen horror flicks. Maybe we should have upset the folks at the car wash instead.

Eventually we found his house. It was on the side of what folks there would call a hill but folks from Nebraska would describe as a mountain. - Surrounded (surprise surprise) by trees it was barely visible from the road. The temp had been slowly rising as we were searching for this place. Whether or not this turned out to be the mean cousin of Charlie Manson, we needed to pull over to cool down.

article-0-00290d8400000258-487_468x339-jpg.jpg

View attachment article-0-00290D8400000258-487_468x339.jpg

Last edited:
Now I was beginning to question whether or not things would be looking brighter if I had become more of a father and less of a Dad. No one knew where we were. Heck, I wasn' t sure where we were. The house didn't look like much. It wasn't a shack but it probably could have used a fresh coat of paint 30 years earlier. We drove past the skeletal remains of a half dozen cars as we entered the driveway. Hopefully that wasn't all that remained of the last six people he'd offered assistance to.

It was eerily silent. The pickup he had been driving was parked alongside of a large galvanized tin building. He must be home. We could see two doors on the house. Neither one resembled a front door. After getting no response to our knock at the first one we walked further away from the Chevelle to knock on the second. You can't help but remain conscious of where you are in relationship to your possible means of escape when you're hearing banjo music in your head.

That's when I heard a loud screeching rumble coming from the direction of the shop. It was the guy that had offered assistance rolling the big door open. I know that at times I let my imagination get away from me. I've got to stop watching TV.

Inside of the building I could see a slew of muscle car Pontiacs. Thank God he was a car guy and not some cannibal looking to fill his freezer. He cleared a stall for us to pull the Chevy into and we drove on in. After seeing the GTOs and 442s, it didn't creep me out at all when he closed the door behind us. He was really a cool dude. Despite his misguided attachment to GM, he was alright. - But I had little room to talk, - we were driving a Chebby ourselves.

Not only did he let us work inside his shop but he searched out each tool we needed before we even asked. He set up the jacks and the drain pan. If we had dawdled around much he probably would have even done the swap for us. In between the wrenching we chatted car stuff. His current project was his first 442 that he was now trying to resurrect. His wife came out and offerred refreshments. We declined because we had a stockpile inside the Chevelle. It didn't take long and we were finished and on our way again. We'd thanked them for their hospitality but knew we needed to get back on the road and didn't stick around.

Because we had become accustomed to watching the temperature gauge we continued to do so for the rest of the trip. The car still ran great but it ran about 15' warmer with this new pump. (it had normally stayed around 180' before the old pump gave way) The higher temp had us concerned but it never climbed high enough to be a problem.

It was night when we arrived at Fort Stewart. The trip that we had expected to take 18 hours ended up taking closer to 26. Neither of us had slept. So we parked the car and headed to the barracks. It didn't take long to fall asleep.

The reason I've told this story (other than the fact I love road trip stories) is that I came to realize that as much as we needed to get his car to his base, we'd accomplished much more. We created shared memories that we'll keep with us for the rest of our lives. We'll joke about each misfortune we survive. It's always more about the journey than the destination. Have I wasted all of this time that I've spent working on cars? No. Not when I include my family and friends on the ride.

I think you made a wise choice there my friend! Like I said before if you ever get tired of that runner let me know I have about 6 spaces left in my garage it would look nice sitting in one!

I think you made a wise choice there my friend! Like I said before if you ever get tired of that runner let me know I have about 6 spaces left in my garage it would look nice sitting in one!

My favorite year RR. Nice color too!:cheers:

Thanks guys. When my son decided he wanted a '70 Roadrunner instead of the Chevelle I was thrilled because my first car had been a '70 Roadrunner. Still, I gotta say I do miss that '68 Chevelle. I told him that the day would come when he'd look back and wish he still owned his first car. He sold it to someone in Oklahoma.

I don't see him selling the Roadrunner in the foreseeable future but you never know. I was shocked when he let go of the Chebby. He's become (finally) a diehard fan of Mopar. The '68 Charger R/T and 2010 Challenger SRT that are here belong to him too. I get to play with (work on) them along with my A-bodies.

Last edited:
One of my friends stopped over today and brought me a couple of emblems he wanted polished. He bought a 1930 Dodge 4 door sedan that he's restoring. The DODGE emblem should polish out easily. The winged grill shell medallion might be tough.

img_3602-jpg.jpg

img_3603-jpg.jpg

There were variations of it that I found on the web. Some brass and some were nickel. His appears to be copper (or copper plate in areas. He wants all of the colored details restored too. It's a little bit bent up but he's worried that it will break if we try to straighten it. I suggested that he let me clean it up as much as possible and then re-plate it with nickel followed by a new copper plate. I'm not sure how well I can replicate the rest of the details. I believe it should have most of the background in black but there should be a world map painted in a robin egg blue in the background and possibly have the one triangle painted white. The size is so small that even if I use a pin or a needle to apply the paint it will be hard to do.

m52kglaznom-4b4rr0cv2yq-jpg.jpg

3548293000_6a8513e2ca-jpg.jpg

I'd helped him out before on his '29 Nash and '70 Camaro restorations. - Mainly doing trim polishing, carb tuning and helping with the search for parts. He's more of a Chebby boy but helping those with mental problems is probably a good thing.

cf6c916846dd8681d7d15f47ac4aedddd99c6b7f28d3507a87077e9fe870ac9d-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_3602.jpg

View attachment IMG_3603.jpg

View attachment m52KGlaZNoM-4b4RR0cV2yQ.jpg

View attachment 3548293000_6a8513e2ca.jpg

View attachment cf6c916846dd8681d7d15f47ac4aedddd99c6b7f28d3507a87077e9fe870ac9d.jpg

Last edited:
The good news is that those antibiotics have been helping with the tooth infection. The bad news is that I'm almost out of them and there is still signs that not everything has settled down. I actually pulled one of my own teeth yesterday. It was loose so I kept wiggling it until I was able to get it out. The first 20 or so yanks were far from pleasant. I wanted to grit my teeth as I did it but you can't do that at the same time you've got ahold of one of them.

[ame="http://youtu.be/boC2QQot34c"]http://youtu.be/boC2QQot34c[/ame]

Don't worry, if I need a hemorrhoidectomy, I'll have someone else perform the surgery.

OH THE HORROR!!! On 10/29/14 the servers crashed on FABO. I'm sure that I wasn't the only one that was thinking that it was one of the first signs of the apocalypse. Access to my account disappeared. I couldn't log on. Many of you may have felt that the server crash was a small price to pay to keep you shielded from my rants. OK, I can accept that. But Teresa was forced to have to listen to me for a full evening! I don't think that any permanent damage was done. She's seeking therapy today.

Of course we've all seen the last few days worth of posts disappear from each of the threads on FABO. Tragically, they disappeared from threads other than this one. That is the bad news. The REALLY bad news is that I'm going to try to replicate some of the crap I've posted before. If the server goes down again I'll take it as a sign that the site administrators don't appreciate the inner workings of my deranged mind.

I terrorize other sites besides FABO. Facebook, For B-Bodies Only, For Roadrunners Only, DodgeCharger.com, and For Trucks Only have also been subject to some of my rants. I don't post very often on any of those. I feel it's best to alienate myself from one group at a time.

Tomorrow is Halloween. The streets will be filled with bands of children going door to door. I thought I was prepared but Teresa made me put the water cannon away. I guess she thinks we should hand them out treats. I tried to explain to her that we were getting low on cigarettes and beer but apparently she didn't think they'd want the same stuff we gave out last year. Though it was entertaining to watch them stumble back and forth to the neighbor's houses.

As I'd promised (or threatened) I'm trying to re-post some of the stuff that was lost during the Great FABO Server Meltdown of 2014.

The emblems for that 1930 Dodge sedan that I'd gotten from my buddy turned out OK.

The first step I tried was to buff the winged medallion as I'd received it. Because there were so many small crevices in it I was unable to make much of an improvement.

img_3603-jpg.jpg

I tried to hand polish it next with some Mothers Mag Polish. - That had no effect.

Next I tried to use WENOL. I don't know how many of you have used this before. It's a polish that's made in Germany that I've found to be great for shining up aluminum, brass, silver and copper that have tarnished. It did help but not as much as I'd hoped for.

So I decided to break out the manual that I'd gotten with that plating system I'd bought. My buddy did not want the emblem to have a chrome finish. Because it would be attached to the radiator shell he wanted it to be a contrasting color. I don't have the materials here to do gold yet but I do have the chemicals for copper plating.

I know that until I'm more familiar with the equipment and chemicals that I'll be doing a poor job of explaining each step. The process involved using an acidic cleanser to remove any existing dirt and corrosion first. Each of these steps involved the attachment of a ground wire to the part and an anode to transfer material one direction or the other. It is necessary to reverse polarity between the cleansing (where you're pulling material away) and the plating (where you're trying to apply material). A nickel plate is applied prior to the copper. The piece is rinsed with water and dried between each step.

After I finished applying the copper I used the WENOL again to hand rub a shine to the medallion.

img_3613-jpg.jpg

With the metal portions looking brighter it was time to address the painted areas. I used a combination of needles and toothpicks to touch up the black around the DODGE BROTHERS. The blue seemed a bit faded out so I put a new coat on it. The unpainted areas were raised so it made it easier to keep the paint limited to the places it was meant to go. It took a few coats of the black to build it up to the level it was originally.

img_3619-jpg.jpg

After it was done I used a RUST-OLEUM clear to seal it all.

View attachment IMG_3603.jpg

View attachment IMG_3613.jpg

View attachment IMG_3619.jpg

Last edited:
This is a re-post.

The good news is that those antibiotics have been helping with the tooth infection. The bad news is that I'm almost out of them and there is still signs that not everything has settled down. I actually pulled one of my own teeth yesterday. It was loose so I kept wiggling it until I was able to get it out. The first 20 or so yanks were far from pleasant. I wanted to grit my teeth as I did it but you can't do that at the same time you've got ahold of one of them.

Don't worry, if I need a hemorrhoidectomy, I'll have someone else perform the surgery.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I can almost hear the groans out there now. YES, I was not only able to resurrect my poem but I also added some new verses. Please don't cancel your memberships.

semele20130122_low-jpg.jpg

'though the members of FABO thought they'd be spared, I still wax poetic and this will be aired.

Despite all the problems and a huge server crash, it's been resurrected - it's back from the ash.

6836436-man-having-his-computer-burning-phoning-technical-support-for-help-jpg.jpg

'Twas a week before Halloween and all 'round this guy, not an insect was stirring, not even a fly; the engines were hung on their stands with great care, in hope that lots of horsepower would soon leave this lair.

img_3570-jpg.jpg

My friends and good neighbors slept all snug in their beds, while visions of racing still danced in my head. With Teresa in the house and me in the shed, we'd just settled down for the evening ahead.

2010snowcampgroupsleeping32-jpg.jpg

When out in the yard there rose such a clatter, it sounded like a rod going, so what was the matter? I went to the garage door to see what was wrong and couldn't see anything - I waited quite long.

00d39766c9abc255ed68222e6af1291c24a1a3-jpg.jpg

So I returned to my 'Cuda to do some more work, when I realized that around me some creatures did lurk. They'd snuck in very quietly when I'd looked outside, now that they're here - there's no place to hide.

paranoia-792-jpg.jpg

I've tried bug bombs and fly swatters and oh so much more but they keep on coming despite all the gore. It's me that they're after - there can be no more doubt. They're plotting and planning to drive me on out. - Despite the stinging and biting I still hold out hope. They'll never win! I'll find some way to cope!

5447112950_c200c3cabe_z-jpg.jpg

Come RAID! Come Off! Come all insect sprays! If these don't work I'll find some other ways.

tr_products_raid_flying_killer-jpg.jpg
active_subnav-jpg.jpg

To my sanity I cling but only by a thread. When will it be over? When will they be dead?

As I search for more answers to this you must agree. Too much time on my hands leads to this poetry.

They're baa-aa-aack!

returnofthefly-jpg.jpg

View attachment 6836436-man-having-his-computer-burning-phoning-technical-support-for-help.jpg

View attachment IMG_3570.jpg

View attachment 2010snowcampgroupsleeping32.jpg

View attachment 00d39766c9abc255ed68222e6af1291c24a1a3.jpg

View attachment paranoia-792.jpg

View attachment SemelE20130122_low.jpg

View attachment 5447112950_c200c3cabe_z.jpg

View attachment tr_products_raid_flying_killer.jpg

View attachment Active_subnav.jpg

View attachment returnofthefly.jpg

Last edited:
This last week I added some more lettering to the Duster. The front fenders were needing something to keep them from being too empty. I chose the DIRECT CONNECTION logo over the newer MOPAR PERFORMANCE. I"m still trying to keep that 70s vibe going.

View attachment 1714763649

BEFORE

View attachment 1714763647
AFTER
View attachment 1714763648

Haven't posted here in a while. Love the 70's race concept in daylight, pure bad ***. You have the basis, of a mystery/borderline horror movie script in that road story. And still infatuated with flies, lol.

Haven't posted here in a while. Love the 70's race concept in daylight, pure bad ***. You have the basis, of a mystery/borderline horror movie script in that road story. And still infatuated with flies, lol.

Hey Abodybomber. Good to hear from you again. I really had fun playing around with the scheme on this Duster. I only wish that I had a bunch more to paint & letter. Every now and then another thread will pop up about some of the old drag car paint jobs and they get me itching to do another. I'm determined more than ever to bring the funnycar back to life.

When I list all of the 'trick' methods used on those cars in the 60's and 70's I keep thinking that there's got to be something cool that was never tried but would have caught on if it had been thought of.

1. Candies
2. Metalflake
3. Flames
4. Scallops (or fish scales)
5. Lace
6. Murals
7. Gold leaf
8. Stripes
9. Pinstriping
10. Shadowed lettering
11. Multi-color paint jobs
12. Fading one color into another
13. Pearls
14. Cob webbing
15. Acytelyne painting
16. Panels
17. Ribbons
18. Bubbles
19. metallic engine turned appliques
20. mimicked chrome (air brushed)

I had considered making a clone of McCewen's Duster until I came across an ad for a car that was made into a Ramchargers clone. The seller said that they were threatened with a lawsuit for trying to sell it even though they clearly stated it was a 'clone' car.

I imagine when it comes time to actually put paint on the funnycar that I'll start with picking a theme. I also considered modifying the body to resemble a Demon and do a Gothic theme on black but have since ruled that out. I want it to be bright and colorful. I know that I'll have the name boldly on the sides combined with some cartoonish image. I keep searching for ideas online but haven't really hit on anything yet.

Last edited:
Hey Abodybomber. Good to hear from you again. I really had fun playing around with the scheme on this Duster. I only wish that I had a bunch more to paint & letter. Every now and then another thread will pop up about some of the old drag car paint jobs and they get me itching to do another. I'm determined more than ever to bring the funnycar back to life.

When I list all of the 'trick' methods used on those cars in the 60's and 70's I keep thinking that there's got to be something cool that was never tried but would have caught on if it had been thought of.

1. Candies
2. Metalflake
3. Flames
4. Scallops (or fish scales)
5. Lace
6. Murals
7. Gold leaf
8. Stripes
9. Pinstriping
10. Shadowed lettering
11. Multi-color paint jobs
12. Fading one color into another
13. Pearls
14. Cob webbing
15. Acytelyne painting
16. Panels
17. Ribbons
18. Bubbles
19. metallic engine turned appliques
20. mimicked chrome (air brushed)

I had considered making a clone of McCewen's Duster until I came across an ad for a car that was made into a Ramchargers clone. The seller said that they were threatened with a lawsuit for trying to sell it even though they clearly stated it was a 'clone' car.

I imagine when it comes time to actually put paint on the funnycar that I'll start with picking a theme. I also considered modifying the body to resemble a Demon and do a Gothic theme on black but have since ruled that out. I want it to be bright and colorful. I know that I'll have the name boldly on the sides combined with some cartoonish image. I keep searching for ideas online but haven't really hit on anything yet.

I grew up with a painting family, we did crazy things as teengers. My favorite: Black base, with a kandy toner and a flop mica/flake thrown in. Stunning, not matchable..

I grew up with a painting family, we did crazy things as teengers. My favorite: Black base, with a kandy toner and a flop mica/flake thrown in. Stunning, not matchable..

I'd love to see some pics if you have any. I'm always looking for ideas.

Last edited:
Last edited:
OK. I did try the copper on the grill. I've been trying to maintain a 3 color scheme of black, gold, and orange on the car. The copper has that orange-ish tint to it so I figured it would fit right in. I did think that the overall look improved when I did the wheels but I'm not sure if the grill is overkill. - I guess I'll wait until I can see it out in the daylight tomorrow and see if it grows on me. I may also have to change the blue headlight covering to orange now.

img_3609-jpg.jpg

img_3720-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_3609.jpg

View attachment IMG_3720.jpg

Last edited:
After removing the blue tint from the headlights I applied the new copper tint to them and the blinkers. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not to leave it this way. I backed it out of the garage so I could see what it looks like in the daylight.

I'm still liking the wheels this way but it's the grill I'm concerned with.

BEFORE

img_3530-jpg.jpg

AFTER
img_3722-jpg.jpg

BEFORE

img_3608-jpg.jpg

AFTER
img_3725-jpg.jpg

I really need to wash the car. It's been accumulating dust outside for the past few months.

View attachment IMG_3530.jpg

View attachment IMG_3722.jpg

View attachment IMG_3608.jpg

View attachment IMG_3725.jpg

Last edited:
Not wild about the grill, but that is just one wimpy man's opinion. Just a little too much copper up there and it reminds of a rusty radiator spew. Thinking the headlights alone colored copper would look better. I am ok with your Halloween costumes though.....

-
Back