Another piston option for the 273.

-
Email them and tell them to do a run with Mopar pin bore (or include .0285 rod bushings) and sell them as 273 pistons over here. perhaps a we bit larger market here....

You should also look at Ford 4.6 2V builds since there not a lot of 273 builds out there and info is slim and the bore is little smaller.
Should react kind of similar.

Yea
Email them and tell them to do a run with Mopar pin bore (or include .0285 rod bushings) and sell them as 273 pistons over here. perhaps a we bit larger market here....
Yeah Chrysler stopped building cars here in about 1982. They also stopped selling cars here.
Back in those days if you had a Valiant nearly everyone would harass and run you down.
GM and Ford dudes.
These days Chrysler are very much sort after.
Some of that could be the beatings we would give the other camps on the strip.
Australia only has a total population of about 23mil.
Our dollar is crap so anything from the USA is as dear as poison especially after the freight.

I found the existing clearance of valve to cylinder is 0.055
After a 40 over bore and the installation of 1.88in and 1.6ex
To maintain the existing clearance the valves need to be
1.86175in and 1.56ex
That's .040 on the OD of the valves
Really only 20th removal or 0.5 of a mm

My
You should also look at Ford 4.6 2V builds since there not a lot of 273 builds out there and info is slim and the bore is little smaller.
Should react kind of similar.
GM 253 4.2 is very similar also but the valves it had were already the biggest that could go in. The biggest thing that improved its performance was the porting. Core shift on casting on the heads and as well as the intake manifold meant that some of the ports had been restricted almost half of what they should of been one in particular was down to 1/3 of what it should have had.
Some of the ports had lumps of cast iron partially blocking the runners.
I must say I have never ever seen such crappy casting on Mopars and I have had a lot of them.

View attachment 1715078493 View attachment 1715078494 View attachment 1715078495 I have a 1965 Barracuda with a 273. Yes im strange im one of those guys who is going to keep this motor. However i have a real nice Scat crank. 3.58 If i use an oversize of .040 that will give me 302ci. The 273 rods are the correct length but i will probably go with scat rods for the strength plus depending on which way i go i may need to have either the rods re bushed or the pistons wrist pin bores honed out. Their is a company in Australia called ACL.
THEY DO NOT MAKE PISTONS FOR THE 273. But in Australia GM Holden did produce a v8 motor the 253. It was a smaller of two motors the other a 308. The 253 has the identical bore to the 273. Now ACL make race pistons for these little gems. They are cast in high silica alloy which negates the need for forged slugs, they are also 30% lighter than the stock units. Im sorry i cant remember exact figures but the wrist pins are slightly smaller in Dia than the mopar. I will use the speedway semi finished piston so i can machine the head as it is nearly 1/2" thick creating a slightly lumpy piston bringing up the compression. I will be making the pins fully floating. For you guys in the USA/Canada the prices should work out good as 75cents get $1.00 Aud. The standard GM pistons would be a bit short but the raised head racing pistons overcome that problem. There is a hugh selection of oversizes for these pistons.
Its worth a look at the catalogue shown in the photo here you can get the web address i think.
Good luck
Flat tops as long as the bore and compression height is the same. For a stock rebuild, this is not really necessary to mess with parts that weren't made for the 273 IMO.

Flat tops as long as the bore and compression height is the same. For a stock rebuild, this is not really necessary to mess with parts that weren't made for the 273 IMO.
He was planning on stroking it with a 360 crank if I read this correctly at the start.
Edit; & never returned after 8-31-'17, hope He's OK & just got diverted/moved on..

-
Back