ANY AUTOCROSS RACERS

-

loganscuda

This/These
Reaction score
I'm looking for info on autocross racing and what type of rear suspension setups everyone is using thinking of running my fastback in a local club here in town.

There is so many choices .4 link , 3 link suspensions from companies like rms , magnum force etc .. Hotchkiss has road racing leaf springs that work pretty well. There is some guys running composite leaf springs on pro touring mopar . You should check that forum out . There is some good information on there . Also there is some very knowledgeable guys on here that know their stuff , hopefully the will chime in.

Yeah no problem dude . I've been building my Dart for Road racing /autox for some time. If you want any info on what I did or what I'm running . Just shoot me a pm .

Ran my first autocross today. Had a blast car did pretty good alot of body roll need to upgrade rear suspension the 50 year old leafs aren't good at all did 58 seconds. my first run was 64.

There aren't as many corner carver types here as there are over on the Moparts handling forum. Here’s the link:

Corners Are Best - Handling Tech | Moparts Forums
Heh. Its about equal number on there as in FABO. But in both places, the "Racer" forum tends to be mostly drag racing, and occassionally a road racer.
Here's some threads.
Lets talk Autocross
AutoX/Road race in a dart??
Decent handling susp setup?

The rear suspension on my car is leaf spring. Details of the setup are on my website.
Like any form of competition, go over the rule set before making major mods.
I was running C Prepared, then Street Mod, and will be dropping into E Street Prepared since frame connectors are now allowed and its an easier PAX.

Last edited:
I will probably go with the Hotchkis. It seems from what I've read people are happy with those and perform well. Not much on guys using firm feel on A body

1st are you racing to have fun or competitive?

If competitive depends on local competition you could end up with a full race only car. Hard to have both. If just for fun don't have to go crazy with mods. Tires sway bars shocks and springs can take you pretty far.

Right now for fun. In four five years when done paying kids college. Plan to do competition. But for now it's for fun.

I will probably go with the Hotchkis. It seems from what I've read people are happy with those and perform well. Not much on guys using firm feel on A body
I tried hotchkiss springs on a couple 111 wheelbase cars, no good. For shorter -108 dusters, barracudas that are 3000 lbs maybe. My 3600 lb dart wss undriveable.

20170827_160726.jpg

I think a look at what is on the track IF you can find another old school MoPar running around would be a good start for questions direct to the driver and there feelings on the subject and car would be best.

Is that even posssible for you?

The oldest car out there is a 99 Miata I'm gonna get a hold of uhcoog1 he has been running for a while I don't know if the darts hand differently or not. I appreciate all the help and advice whatever I do I will post with results.

Last edited:
Looking forward to more info and how your doing with this.

You can do pretty well with a set of zero arch style leaf springs and a 120 to 130 lb/in spring rate. You can also replace the rear shackles with a set of leaf spring sliders, which will reduce flex by ditching the shackles and bushings and improve spring reaction times (less resistance than shackles). That and a good, adjustable rear sway bar. Peter Bergman spec’d a great set of springs from Eaton, there’s the hotchkis leafs, and even the Mopar oval track springs that were recently reissued if you’re on a budget. Not fancy but they’re zero arch and the rate is in the ball park. I'm not sure what Firm Feel is selling now, they used to sell the Mopar Oval track springs but based on their description it seems like they're doing something custom now.

I know @autoxcuda runs the Hotchkis leaf springs on his Barracuda, so they should work for your fastback too. I've heard both that they work great and that they don't work on the 111" wheelbase cars, but I've seen them on those too. Pretty sure that's what @MuuMuu101 is running on his Dart. But Peter has a lot of time on the Eaton springs he has on his Dart, so I wouldn't discount those either.

I have my Duster set up with 121 lb AFCO's, which are no longer available. Pretty sure that's a licensing thing with the Mopar Oval Tracks, because the AFCO's in that spec went away at the exact same time the Mopar Oval Tracks came back. The oval tracks I bought for my Dart also look pretty much identical to my AFCO's, but I haven't mounted them up yet. I think the AFCO's work really well, but that's just based on street driving so far. I run them with spring sliders and a 7/8" rear sway bar.

My slider set up
IMG_2580_zpsuuetr2gp.jpg

Resulting ride height
img_4571-jpg.jpg

Are you completely married to keeping leafs? A triangulated or parralel/panhard 4 link will offer tons of adjustability. Contrary to popular belief they aren't only for drag racing.

Will do leafs for now do to budget. Will probably upgrade later to RMS STREET LINXS. I am happy with alterkation I have up front. seems they make a good product. If money was no problem I would just do the heidst IRS.

-
Back