any diesel mach. on this board

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
helping a freind look at a ford dump truck that has a ford motor not sure what size or number but will know more monday.. what is it i should look for with a ford motor as far as being a big problem....i have a cummins in my dump and its a great motor and know alot about it just never did anything with a ford or cat so im loss.. i know the same should apply but thought i would ask before hand thanks mike

Are you talking about the Ford inline turbo? has a P pump? Like 220-250-280HP?

Great engines, underpowered, but great.

i think its going to be a 7.3 from they way most talk..but its a tri axle dump truck thats legal to pull 36000lbs here in north carolina....and as far as the power the man that owns it says he dont know but its not fast thats what he said.. but i found that you can turn them up pretty good at home by the fuel pump 50/60hp according to 1 website....any kind of info on this type of motor would be great help in knowing what to look for on this truck....thanks mike

In the past we've had several in some 800 and 900 model ford trucks at work. Overall they are good engines, but yeah, they are underpowered for the most. we had a 190 hp and cranked the fuel to it and woke it up, but it smoked like a coal train. also we had a 275 that ran pretty well.

Is it a V or an inline?

Tandem axle means more than likely it is NOT a 7.3 or the 8.whatever navistar V8, it's probably the inline ford, or a V cat......... Never ever seen a tandem L series ford with a med duty navistar......... ever

But all in all, a diesel engine is a diesel engine, Cummins takes a few specialty tools and such, but it's a diesel engine....

its a in line 6 diesel not like the f350 or 450 its a real dump truck that hauls...lol

Either a 400 6.6L or a 478 7.8L ford motor made in Brazil they have the bosch P pump similar to the Dodge Cummins you can turn them up easily 50 - 75 hp. and tons of tq.
They are good motors.
Gotta do some research to find the link to hop up this motor.

Don't turn it up, the pistons do NOT cool well enough on these motors, and they WILL melt down unless you do turbo mods.....

HOWEVER, you can turn the IAC in, and get them to make more power quicker, and easier to drive/shift.

-
Back