Any electrical guru's know off hand what these are for?

-

BTYM

Reaction score
I have a 1973 dodge dart sport. It was originally a /6 car, the previous owner swapped in a 318. The only thing I know of off the top of my head that it does not have is a wiper fluid reservoir. They removed it and never replaced it. i know some of these are probably from that, but the rest of them I have no idea. Hoping you guys can help me out here lol

Attachments

• Dart 34.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 301
  • Dart 45.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 282
  • Dart 44.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 278
  • Dart 43.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Dart 40.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 284
  • Dart 39.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 276
  • Dart 38.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 285
  • Dart 37.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 279
  • Dart 36.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 287
  • Dart 35.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 279
More photos

Attachments

• Dart 46.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 294
  • Dart 47.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 269
  • Dart 48.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 270
not sure what you are asking. the pictures are pretty vague and unspecific

In the picture, there are unconnected connections, cut wires, and a pretty hacked up pigtail. Just wondering what each of those wires is for.

What you need is a print out of the factory wiring. Or a really good book.
It'll take me a day to dig mine up and a scrounge around the sheets. But I *might* be able to help. You could always use a test light to see when/if there live or not.

Now I'm not so super sure in this case BUT often the OE. would make 1 harrnass that was capable to handle everything available in the car. Now if the customer didn't order.... Let's say A/C, the pigtails would be there in used.

The thick brown wire with the end cut off goes to the starter I believe. The wire harness with the purple wire goes to the voltage regulater I think. Sorry I can't remember everything off hand but go to www. my mopar dot com / wiring diagrams. That saved me a lot of head ache!

Agreed. That is a big mess. And who is to say that those are factory colour wires. Best bet is to just use a good diagram.

The washer pump got only one wire, brown I think. Wasn't the only brown wire though so wiring diagrams and testers are required.
That white engine harness connector was added for nothing more than ease of assembly at the factory. Wires melting there is somewhat typical. Delete it.
The wires in it are blue and green and black to alternator, purple to temp sender, and more. the blue to alternator has a branch that went to a electric choke assist that can/should also be deleted. It's not required and the controller for that choke heater is surely old toast.
Previous owner(s) have been dealing with this cars electrical short comings and failures the best way they knew how. You have opportunity here to properly repair it.

The washer pump got only one wire, brown I think.

Correct. Some could be for the pollution control perhaps ?

Is the car running at the moment ?

What you need is the Chrysler repair manual , book 2. Along with schematics, they actually diagram each connector.

I see the two manuals are available here:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

Good luck with the wiring...it can be a beast !

What a mess and a fire waiting to happen. Get the factory manual that is specific for the year of your car because it will have the wiring diagrams for both the /6 as well as the V8. Personally I would probably end up buying complete under hood wiring harnesses before it was over.

Here are two manuals for your 73 that you can download for free. You will find them to be one of your best friends.

1973 Dodge Body Service Manual

1973 Dodge Chassis Service Manual

If one of the links below fail, they can be found here.

Nice link Okla.

BTYM, download those babies and put them in clear protective covers and hang them on the garage wall.

What a mess and a fire waiting to happen. Get the factory manual that is specific for the year of your car because it will have the wiring diagrams for both the /6 as well as the V8. Personally I would probably end up buying complete under hood wiring harnesses before it was over.

Here are two manuals for your 73 that you can download for free. You will find them to be one of your best friends.

1973 Dodge Body Service Manual

1973 Dodge Chassis Service Manual

If one of the links below fail, they can be found here.

wrjjol.jpg

What Okla did NOT tell you is that 73 was a HUGE change in diagrams for 73, and for your question "makes things easier."

When you've downloaded those, get into the chassis book and turn to page 8-152. Notice the index says "connector charts" and it shows "CE" which means "Connector, Engine." Turn to that page, 8-164

Notice the connectors on that page. That is what they look like, how many conductors come out of them, and WHAT COLOR the conductors are

Notice at the bottom of each box, they describe the location of the connector.

-
Back