Any home interior contractors on here?

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
I'm remodeling one of the rooms in the house. It's time to hang the crown molding, but I have a few questions.

First, let me state, I don't have a compound miter saw. This is all being hand cut.

Can I miter and cope only one end of each interior corner molding and butt cut the other end or does each end have to mitered? There's one exterior corner in the room where the wall juts out six inches for the room's door.

I am not a contractor but I have done a bunch of remodels on rentals. Butt cut and coping can be done but it isn't easy. You can pick up a plastic miter box cheap if you have a saw to use with it.

Attachments

• oooooooo.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 229
Got two of 'em. It's what I've used to case in the doors and windows.

You probably already know this.... Put your molding with the same spots touching the bottom and back of the miter box just like it would touch the wall. If your molding is too wide then you might have to add some wood to the box to make it work.

How-to at [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MT9iVtiOEY"]How To Cope Crown Moulding: A Demonstration - YouTube[/ame]

I bit the bullet and ponied up for this system. Its a little spendy, but it allowed a no-talent like me to do it pretty well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsap7m3RU7U&feature=share&list=PLSjlFbVmvBG_Tqm9m9lt39SNO8TDX2FBf&index=11"]Perfectly Cut Crown Molding - YouTube[/ame]

when i did my last house i made my life easy and used these corner blocks. install the corner blocks and then you just have to cut 90* ends on everything. easy as pie.

baa5e4b1-d4eb-4100-aa1b-67cc05b7597e_400.jpg

What's worked in the past for me....

On the final wall you'll need to cope both ends which is very tricky. In the past i have spliced the final wall. You cope both ends and make a 45degree splice...keep shaving off of the miter until it fits snugly.....glue and nail. I usually consign the splice to the entrance wall.

What's worked in the past for me....

On the final wall you'll need to cope both ends which is very tricky. In the past i have spliced the final wall. You cope both ends and make a 45degree splice...keep shaving off of the miter until it fits snugly.....glue and nail. I usually consign the splice to the entrance wall.

Jim, I have 15' lengths of crown and each wall is about 11'6" right around in there. If I cope for the profile, do I need to miter the other end, or can I just butt one end on the wall, and miter and cope where the crowns come together?

I've only done some patch-in on crowns when we bought the house. The living room was a godaweful baby s*** green that had to go, so I pulled all the existing moldings. Some of the crowns broke as I was taking it down and thankfully there was some crown left from when the house was built.

You can butt the first two on both ends, then cope the ends of the other two to meet them.

Jim, I have 15' lengths of crown and each wall is about 11'6" right around in there. If I cope for the profile, do I need to miter the other end, or can I just butt one end on the wall, and miter and cope where the crowns come together?

I've only done some patch-in on crowns when we bought the house. The living room was a godaweful baby s*** green that had to go, so I pulled all the existing moldings. Some of the crowns broke as I was taking it down and thankfully there was some crown left from when the house was built.

Robert, sorry, I haven't been on the site in a few days.
You can get away with butting the ends on three walls but the final wall requires a cope on each end. Unless you are a trim carpenter or very lucky, it's difficult to get the length exact on the fourth, double cope wall which is why I splice.

I'm remodeling one of the rooms in the house. It's time to hang the crown molding, but I have a few questions.

First, let me state, I don't have a compound miter saw. This is all being hand cut.

Can I miter and cope only one end of each interior corner molding and butt cut the other end or does each end have to mitered? There's one exterior corner in the room where the wall juts out six inches for the room's door.

You shouldn't miter crown molding, at all because the miters will open has the house moves and settles.

The easy way is to install the two longest opposing pieces with butt cuts. than on the intersecting walls you do a cope.

Jim is spot on with the splice idea. Splicing those two pieces together is the easiest and most accurate way to deal with that, just be sure that the spice you make is at 45º so that if there is some separation over time, it really doesn't show.

I think he was referring to miter cut first, then cope the same end piece as shown in the video.

-
Back