Any interest...?

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
In an M-body build up? Some of you may remember me posting the story of this car titled "bad penny" ages ago back in the funny stuff forums. She finally made it home to roost and once I can get back to gainful employment I plan on tinkering and start bringing her back to life.
If you folks show any interest I'll start posting pics on the build, including a cowl induction hood that's been kicking around in my head. The build may take a while, but it's a solid car, just needs some coin thrown at it to make a nice car.

If I was you I would build it . A car is way more fun when you've already had some history with it . Good story by the way ( bad penny , I went back and read it ) .

Alrighty, then I'll get some pics up in the next few days. The plan will be to have her at Carlisle in a couple of years, God willing and the creek don't rise.

I have an M body that I will be parting out soon (I hope). Let me know if there are any parts you need. An '88 Gran Fury.
C

Ok - help out a newbie Mopar fan. What's an M-body? I googled it, but only came up with stuff not related to Mopars.

Ok - help out a newbie Mopar fan. What's an M-body? I googled it, but only came up with stuff not related to Mopars.

M body: Dodge Diplomat, it's twin, the Plymouth Gran Fury, and the '80s RWD Chrysler Fifth Aves. Also sneak in the late '70s LeBarons. This one in particular is an '82 Dip.

finally got Bad Penny ready for some pics:

The body is in need of some TLC. Pop and I have to lay in a driver's side rocker, as it's developed a hole, but nothing we can't fab in. The header panel needs a little work, since it's been on three different cars, including this one twice (saw duty on my wife's old '87 5th Ave after she hit a deer), but it's in nice shape for the shape it's in, just a few minor cracks. Gotta do something about the left front fender. Other than that just some good body work and paint.
Will be keeping the original color: Dark Spice Tan Mettalic (before you tell me I'm off my rocker, that's what Dodge called it) with the tan vinyl roof. Got the rocker moldings and WOMs for it, to go back on.

dip front (2).JPG

dip rear.JPG

dip side view.JPG

What's an M body without cop wheels and caps? This color, after digging through my PPG chip books from back in the day, actually corresponds with the color of the top and interior. Top photo posted for color reference.

cop wheel.JPG

top reference.JPG

If any of you have ever owned one of these cars you'll know that the A/C would freeze everyone out in the front seat and everyone in the back seat would roast. After working on an '02 Intrepid over the weekend Pop and I think we've found the cure. Front seats and pass through console for back seat ducts. The interior will get reworked to original color.

interior front.JPG

interior rear.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

The engine compartment needs some work, really a good cleaning, fresh paint and some detailing with the wiring harness to eliminate wires we don't need. Right now the 360 runs like a top, but it used to run better when it was in Jamison's Duster. It'll be back to those standards once it's pulled and ready to rock again.

Like I said, I've got a cowl induction system in mind for it, and will probably start there as a buddy of mine has a hood from a '69 Chevelle SS that's I'll score some parts from. The conversion itself will be little to no bucks build on it and with my current unemployment will be the first place I start. Can't wait!

engine compartment.JPG

Looks like a good starting point to build on. This will be a very interesting build. Will be looking forward to seeing it progress. Good luck with it.

How much does one of them weigh? Just woundering.

Cool ride ya got there! Good Luck with it.
As a side note, my wife had a 94 Intrepid with the rear seat A/C and it worked like crap! LOL Hardly anything came out of the vents. Add a fan inside the console to help it.

George

Cool ride ya got there! Good Luck with it.
As a side note, my wife had a 94 Intrepid with the rear seat A/C and it worked like crap! LOL Hardly anything came out of the vents. Add a fan inside the console to help it.

George

Thanks for the heads up on the console, George. The ones in my wife's Hyundai works great for the backseat, so maybe it's an air restriction? Or just not enough fan? One of the reasons I was looking at the Intrepid was having one to do the measurements with on hand. Seats and console are 53" wide on the Intrepid and I have 55" to play with in the Dip. Gonna be a nice fit...

Been a while since I've had anything to update on this. Tinkered over the winter some, since the car lost it's spot in the garage and had to sit on the patio.

Today it got pulled out of here on a car dolly and taken to a buddy of mine's place. He wants to see me build a car so he invited me to bring it up.

Scored so far:

one good left hand tail light. The old was a good driver quality, but not something I wanted to restore, not with a hair line crack in the back up lens.

Thanks to my buddy Brian (bpwordman) I also scored a good hood, which in combination with the one that's on it, will make a nice scooped one.

Thanks to our buddy on here, 3404speed, I was able to get a better driver side front fender, a lower patch for the driver's side quarter and also three good WOM's which are in great condition, just needing a good polish.

Typical of the possessed b**** that she is, she fired right off this morning and drove easily onto the tow dolly. Got up on the hill at my buddy's she fired right off and stalled. Wouldn't re-crank. At all. Had to use his truck to get her into the garage and even then she wanted to mate with his push bumper. I think she'll be okay, now, since she's next to my tool box and heard me telling my buddy's wife that plans for her. She just needed to know she wasn't going to be dropped somewhere not amongst family. I'll guarantee you she'll pop right off tomorrow morning. :-D

Look for pics, soon folks! Tear down will be happening with the next couple of days, along with some build!

Hey Robert; with the "cop" wheels you could always paint black w/white doors and a bubble gum machine on top. Someone from up your way tells me Advance delivers lol.

Hey Robert; with the "cop" wheels you could always paint black w/white doors and a bubble gum machine on top. Someone from up your way tells me Advance delivers lol.

Advance will be making a few trips for me on this one. And so will the paint store and UPS and...

Not gonna cop clone this one, Roger. The vinyl roof will stay, though be replaced with fresh vinyl. Colors will be the same, too. Chrysler's name for the brown was Dark Spine Tan (believe it or not) Metallic and I like that color in conjunction with the actual tan on the roof and what I was able to find for the wheels. You'll also see a stripe coming in that color, too, but don't want to give too much away on it.

You'll also see a stripe coming in that color, too, but don't want to give too much away on it.

Ah shucks...hint...hint.. Hey you would know. I've heard that some M rear susp' is a not perfect but close "bolt in" for early A's. Y/N ?

Ah shucks...hint...hint.. Hey you would know. I've heard that some M rear susp' is a not perfect but close "bolt in" for early A's. Y/N ?

Not sure about that. More along the lines of the B-body for width. The B-body 8.75 being almost a drop in. The rest of the rear suspension on the M's leave a lot to be desired, even if you have the rear sway bar like mine does. The rubber iso's on the rear springs have to go. The rubber bushings on the front of the springs leave a lot of wiggle room, literally, on the *** end. Firm Feel is making adapters to bolt in E-body springs for 'em. Not sure if that's the way I'm going on not...he he. Stay tuned.

There is some A-body stuff that is almost a direct bolt in. Exhaust is one of 'em. TTi's headers will bolt in, as well most of the pre-bent stuff from Summit or Jegs. Just need to move the gas tank on the M's one notch over on the straps to hang the duals.

-
Back