Any Jeep technicians out there?

-

mopar56

Reaction score
My wifes 2019 Jeep Cherokee 3.6 has the stop/start feature which automatically shuts off the engine at every stop light. Personally I do not like this feature but she loves it and it's her Jeep. Anyway it recently quit working, what happens is when you start the car you get a message saying " auto stop disabled, engine too cold" , duh, it just started ! Then when it warms up after about 5 min the message switch's and says, " auto start disabled, battery is charging" the gauge reads 14.4 volts when running, so it's charging, the car starts without hesitation and the battery does not seem weak? I took the jeep to the dealer today for a oil change and told them about it, they scanned it and load tested the battery. They say the battery passed and is good and no error codes, the screen on the dash also says no error codes. They say short multiple trips can cause this issue and that indeed is what this car dose, it's 5 years old with 40kms on it, about 24 thousand miles. When I got home I disconnected the battery for 10 min and then hooked up again, but same issue. I've searched the net and all I can find is to replace the battery, it is after all five years old but it seems fine and passed load test. Ideas???

That's what the service guy at Dodge said today but he looked a d said there's only one, any idea where a second one would be? Dose it look like a conventional battery or smaller?

It should have a 3.2 motor. 3.6 was discontinued in about 14. It should have a button on the dash to to push so the vehicle doesn’t shut off. Mine does and it has a 3.2. Kim

Hmmm...not sure about the button, like I said it's the wifes, so I'll need to look, but nothing has changed as far as settings go, the car thinks it's on according to the dash message but I'll check for a button but as mentioned I did have the dealer look at it so they would have checked the setting? I'll look tomorrow thanks for the input.

I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler, 4 cylinder turbo, it has the off/on switch on the dash for start/stop feature. I ask if they could turn it off for good, they would not, it can be done altought. I am sure you can find the way somewhere on youtube. It just a matter of turning on and off certain switches in the correct order.

I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler, 4 cylinder turbo, it has the off/on switch on the dash for start/stop feature. I ask if they could turn it off for good, they would not, it can be done altought. I am sure you can find the way somewhere on youtube. It just a matter of turning on and off certain switches in the correct order.
Dollars to donuts you could do it with alfaOBD

I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler. Mine was doing the same as you described. I permanently disconnected the auto-stop-start battery. I found the directions on YouTube. My battery also tested good, however, I was getting the same messages, and replaced it and no longer have any issues.

Mine was the original battery.

Try disconnecting the battery sensor on the negative terminal for 5 minutes or so. And you said Cherokee (KL chassis) never had a stop/start battery and never had a 3.6 a Grand (WK) may have a stop/start battery. If it's the OEM battery replace it anyway but try the battery sensor disconnect first!

20240921_095529.jpg

As others suggested, consider disabling the start stop feature. Then no more warning/alerts!

Anything starting and stopping on a repetitive basis means wear and eventual trouble long term. In your case, long term is 5 years!

You can shut it off with the dash button but it's an ON default. Every time you start the engine the stop/start is engages. It's just habit on my behalf to turn it off.

I did some investigating disabling the stop/start on my '15 Jeep Cherokee and found that it wasn't possible at least without warning messages.

Try disconnecting the battery sensor on the negative terminal for 5 minutes or so. And you said Cherokee (KL chassis) never had a stop/start battery and never had a 3.6 a Grand (WK) may have a stop/start battery. If it's the OEM battery replace it anyway but try the battery sensor disconnect first!

View attachment 1716306056
Ok, thanks I will try this, what I did was disconnect the positive battery cable, on the Jeep all you need to do is under a 10mm nut and yhe cable, not the terminal pops right off, I'm not sure how that is different from disconnecting the negative sensor but I'll give it a try this morning. Many have posted to just permanently disconnect the feature but as I said in my first post my wife likes the feature, it's been with the car since new and she wants it to work.

So we do have a switch on the dash which simply disables the system but dose not solve the problem, I tried disconnecting the voltage sensor on the negative terminal but that did not change things, I found a thread on the web of a fellow that experienced the exact same symptoms and replaced the voltage sensor in the negative terminal and this resolved his issue so I think that is what I will do next, Amazon has some but the part number is different, it's lower than mine so probably mine us a later version on the 2019, unless it would interchange it looks exactly the same and is about 50 bucks, nine from the dealer is over 200!!

So we do have a switch on the dash which simply disables the system but dose not solve the problem, I tried disconnecting the voltage sensor on the negative terminal but that did not change things, I found a thread on the web of a fellow that experienced the exact same symptoms and replaced the voltage sensor in the negative terminal and this resolved his issue so I think that is what I will do next, Amazon has some but the part number is different, it's lower than mine so probably mine us a later version on the 2019, unless it would interchange it looks exactly the same and is about 50 bucks, nine from the dealer is over 200!!
Hopefully that’s it. Just remember u get what u pay for. Good luck 2ya. Make sure to let us know how that works out 4 u. Kim

You disconnected the sensor with the car off I take it? At least 5 minutes but try a half hour. Do not disconnect the negative or positive at that time. You can and probably should clean any corrosion on the terminals. Give the battery a charge. It's probably an AGM which some lesser chargers won't actually work on. I've reset a not ready for Autoshutoff light on a few KL jeeps by disconnecting the sensor. If it didn't work you probably need either the sensor or the battery or both!

-
Back