Any Model Railroaders here??

-
is this train language American!?????? sounds cool whatever it is!

Oh yeah its American.

I dabbled in N scale , and HO before that. Then went to scale 2 rail O scale. I love the era at the end of steam and beginning of diesel. GM F7, and F9 A&B units, streamlined fronts. Santa Fe war bonnet paint schemes. Always loved the shiny stainless steel passenger cars, observation coaches etc. This was at the end of an era of travelling by rail as being something special, and also by ship travel from the U.S to Europe. The Boeing 707 helped to replace all that.

Steam was great too. Mighty UP big boys, and UP challengers, mixed with diesel power to push over the rockies. I dont think theres anything cooler than a steamer running full out, and the sound of its steam whistle.

I only have a few scale 2 rail O gage locos as these can get pricey. My pride is a rivarossi steam kit put out by AHM in the early 1970s. I built it, then added the motorizing kit. This thing is a gem. Its the Indiana Harbor Belt 080 switcher. Theres enough room in the boiler to convert it to DCC and put a sound card in it if i ever go that route.

I also have a UP Atlas O scale plymouth switcher, and an AHM O scale UP F7 A unit. I will set these up under the christmas tree once my youngest is old enough to not manhandle and break them. Until then i have some cheapie lionels for this purpose.

My Duster 340 and daily driver share a garage with a 14x6 foot 00 scale model railway.

Only got as far as laying 90% of the track before the Duster arrived and somehow I got sidetracked...........no pun intended!

Duster was bare-shell restored in Florida but, for some unknown reason, the restorer replaced the 45 year old wiring loom and it now has, shall we say, some wiring anomalies.
Dash is completely dismantled to fit new under-dash loom and engine bay loom also renewed to ensure continuity.

Once the Duster is completed I shall enjoy using it and spend some more time on the model rail.

Arthur

N scale as time allows. My wife does HO but as general interest mainly Monon. I do C&O mainly. Transitional era sort of. I actually do what I call nostalgic fantasy ahaha.

I have an interest in "S' gauge American Flyer trains from the late 1950's, into the 1960's.

Grandma bought me a American Flyer train set as a Christmas present, one year, when i was a little curtain climber, rug rat, so i guess the interest carried on into old age.

I was originally from Waterbury, Connecticut, and American Flyer was manufactured a few cities down the road, in New Haven, Connecticut, so maybe thats how it all started out with me, other than a Lionel train set up. Dunno.

I've always been fascinated by S scale. They have fine scale S now as well. The price is enough to scare you though. For me, I like N scale partly because my mother was partial to it. Also because I can jam more into a small area. :)

I work on the RailRoad:

Looks like you have a nice collection of 64-65 A bodies. Do you need a /6 Barracuda to go with those /6 Valiants and your V8 Barracuda? A friend of mine told me one of his co workers wants to sell this silver /6 Barracuda. Its not too far from you. Its in Sterling, Virginia near Dulles Airport. Think he wants about $9000 for it. To me that seems a bit high, but if its as nice as it looks in the picture, maybe thats not out of line.

Attachments

• barracuda 65.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 203
I know a number of members are model railroaders as well as car nuts but we have a lot of new members so thought I would see who is out there now.

I used to have a small undeveloped and economy H.O. scale setup.
I sold everything a few years ago because I felt I only room in my heart for one hobby, however i have been thinking of getting back into it.

i am not sure if i want to get into "N" scale or "H.O" again.

Mr. RRR has shown me "On3" which is some very cool stuff but it's much different than most of what i am familiar with.

My absolute favorite is first gen. diesel, cant say i have ever been much for steam. I also like a lot of 90s and up style of locomotives. My childhood discovery days were in the late 90s and 00s so i like the locomotives that were new then.

who is into what on here :)

I built up a N scale for the kids a few years ago, you can pack a lot into it if you don't have a lot of space for the bigger HO etc.. If your interested I would sell the whole thing since the kids have little interest in it now. Probably 20 or more buildings a few engines, about 25 cars everything has lights and street lights it's mostly late 60's early 70's type buildings and cars, even has late 60's roadrunners and camaro's !! PM if interested.

I know a number of members are model railroaders as well as car nuts but we have a lot of new members so thought I would see who is out there now.

I used to have a small undeveloped and economy H.O. scale setup.
I sold everything a few years ago because I felt I only room in my heart for one hobby, however i have been thinking of getting back into it.

i am not sure if i want to get into "N" scale or "H.O" again.

Mr. RRR has shown me "On3" which is some very cool stuff but it's much different than most of what i am familiar with.

My absolute favorite is first gen. diesel, cant say i have ever been much for steam. I also like a lot of 90s and up style of locomotives. My childhood discovery days were in the late 90s and 00s so i like the locomotives that were new then.

who is into what on here :)

HO scale 1st and second gen diesels here. Mainly Norfolk and Western,and Burlington Northern. END, and Georgia. Was an Engineer for BN for 10 years.

GE U34CH 32 of these these were specially made for Erie Lakawanna railroad by GE from 1971 to 1973. They were run by NJ DOT after Erie declared bankruptcy, and eventually became NJ Transit. These were retired from service in 1994. Only one is left #3372. These pulled comet type aluminum bodied passenger cars in NJ back in the 70s thru 1994. In 1976 one was renumbered as 1776 and painted red white and blue for our countries centennial celebration. I used to hear em all the time growing up in the 70s and 80s i only lived a few blocks from Clifton station. They had a unique chugging sound on accelleration and were required to run at 900 rpm continuous to keep the engines HEP output alternator running and outputting enough power to run the A/C, lighting, and heating systems in the passenger cars they pulled. Check out the GE U34CH on youtube. A unique locomotive made specifically for NJ rail passenger service.

Here is a copy of the track plan I am getting ready to build.

BEAVER HOLE.jpg

I know nothing about model trains but "inherited" a box of locomotives, various types of cars, and some track. I have looked on the engines, cars, and track and haven't found a scale. How can I identify what scale they are? Lighter in there for scale.
20170120_204736.jpg
20170120_205248.jpg

I know nothing about model trains but "inherited" a box of locomotives, various types of cars, and some track. I have looked on the engines, cars, and track and haven't found a scale. How can I identify what scale they are? Lighter in there for scale.View attachment 1715009832 View attachment 1715009834
Is track about 10mm - 1/2" wide? That would make it N scale. Based on the size compared to the lighter above one of the locomotives N scale is my bet.

HO scale is 1:87 and rails are spaced 0.646" apart, two rail track. The transformers pictured are DC output, which is typical of HO. Tyco stuff was entry level HO.

HO scale is 1:87 and rails are spaced 0.646" apart, two rail track. The transformers pictured are DC output, which is typical of HO. Tyco stuff was entry level HO.

true tyco is entry level but tyco has a special place in my heart because I still remember the first TYCO set I had. It was vintage then because it was an 80s set but I got it in the early 2000s as a gift when I was a teenie tiny one LOL

Yea, it was magical and it was all tyco, until later when I discovered Athern and Bachmann

I actually do have a love for "Life like" and "model power" brands as well

I just picked this one up from feebay ....I don't even know what brand it is ....roco??

it is an N-scale FA-1 ...I just absolutely Alco Locomotives They had the best styling and I love the flat nose and "chopped" cab appearance.

My main motive for buying this mystery LOCO was to fuel the love for the PA and FA series engines :usflag:

and to boot, it is dressed in Demonstrator Alco paint scheme, its just awesome :D

CIMG0116.JPG

how sweet it would have been to be there to have seen these beauties alive and in action. This is beauty beyond words

atsf74.jpg

nyc4210.jpg

2753.1241287018.jpg

6512.1299879791.jpg

for some reason .....I find myself uncontrollably drawn and attracted to diesel locomotives that are in some cases lesser known and often with highly unconventional styling.

one example is the EMD BL-2 .....a very odd looking machine. I know there is a model of these made by Proto2000 series and I think most are made DCC ready.

it is just a piece of history lost that so many of us younger modelers have not seen locomotives like this around

BL2_Demo.jpg

CSRI42665.jpg

ho-sc51a.jpg

0615161235.jpg

Vacation last year in the PA Poconos with my wife. We took a ride on the Pennsylvania Railroad. Both of my grandfathers worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad their whole lives in Philadelphia.

I loved the sound of that diesel engine.

-
Back