Any Old School Machinists Here?

-
A small block Chrysler won’t need a plate for the timing cover end. And you can probably use the timing cover mount for almost any V8.

Same for the bellhousing end. Make a plate. That’s what machinists do. Make **** and use the tooling you have to get the job done.

Many a shop has gone broke buying tooling.
True, true and true. I live to make stuff.
I love making my boss uncomfortable with ideas he never thought of lol.

I didn't ask him for specific details regarding how he was gonna do it. Although I trust the guy and had him bore over 360 block with boring bar that turned out great and hone looked good too. Even used torque plates. I agree with everyone's comments. Can it be done with some engineering and setup possibly... Given it's the crank and keeping the centerline consistent not worth trying it though. Just wanted to ask in case this was old practice I wasn't aware of. I'm sure someone tried it back in the day before all the fancy machines.

I didn't ask him for specific details regarding how he was gonna do it. Although I trust the guy and had him bore over 360 block with boring bar that turned out great and hone looked good too. Even used torque plates. I agree with everyone's comments. Can it be done with some engineering and setup possibly... Given it's the crank and keeping the centerline consistent not worth trying it though. Just wanted to ask in case this was old practice I wasn't aware of. I'm sure someone tried it back in the day before all the fancy machines.
Just for ***** and giggles I'll ask my boss in the morning and see what he has to say...he's been in a machine shop for probably 45 years or more so I know he's seen a lot

There are boring bars that have over 12 inches of travel.
True, but not your typical older automotive cylinder boring bars
Which brings you back to working from both ends...
Its not hard to make a mounting plate for the bar to sit on.
Sure but unless you already have material to make it from thick plate gets spendy... The minimalist way of using a couple thick bars might work but the potential for machining setup errors goes up....

End of the day he lives in an area where he has options, why treat this like he's on a remote tropical island...

I'm sure it can be done with a boring bar, no doubt. But why chance it? Align hones and boring bars bore horizontally, while boring bars for cylinders bore vertically. Each is designed for its own particular use.

I don't know if I'm a tard but on a big block, what tensioner...is that some small block supremacist comment lol
I don't know. You would have to ask the person who said it.

C'mon, remember you said something about having to buy a smaller chain. And the small block supremacist said tensioner?
I said smaller chain. Which is true if the block is not aligned honed correctly. I didn't say anything about a tensioner or a small block. lol

I said smaller chain. Which is true if the block is not aligned honed correctly. I didn't say anything about a tensioner or a small block. lol
Correct, the other guy did. Sorry to pull u into it lol

Honestly it amazes me some of the things that get done in third world machine shops....

I saw some of it while living in the Middle East and Guam.. Actually even some questionable stuff in Spain... But at the end of the day these guys know how to make stuff with the tools they have....

And yes, if it had to happen I'm sure this block could get done with the available tools.. But he's adding billet main caps which means he wants to make some HP... Which means machining quality matters... And he lives in Pittsburg not Pakistan...

They get it done however they can. You gotta admire that.

I absolutely can not see using a boring bar as a viable option to do anything but 1 hole at a time.
I am old school and I am a machinist but I'm not an old school machinist but I know that will not work.
I was both, old school and the cnc wave. I started out machining in the 70’s and finished my career in2021.

@MOPARMAGA please don't associate my name with pejorative language. i would appreciate it if you didn't do that in the future.

to spell the joke out for you: if you need a shorter timing chain, why not use a timing chain tensioner. use of timing chain tensioners in smallblocks is a divisive subject around these parts. so the joke works at two levels, one that it is absurd at face value and two that it rankles anybody that has an opinion about using a timing chain tensioner.

and for the record, my D300 has a big block. i celebrate all displacements and cylinders from ma mopar.

-
Back