Any step by step instructions on converting auto-4spd?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im just wondering if there are any sources at all (books/internet/videos, etc.) that have a step by step guide telling how and showing how to convert an abody automatic car to a 4 speed car...if anybody knows of anything please let me know as i would like to try to familiarize myself with the information of how the swap is done so it comes just a little easier for me when its actually time for it.

thanks
Matthew

Just gather all the parts that`s needed. With all the knowlagable people on this site, we`ll work you through it. You will need a mig welder, or access to one.

would i need to weld just for the hump conversion or for other stuff too? Also, 3404spdvaliant which issue is the banging 4 gears issue? (what month/year)....I have no idea how the swap is done at all so i would just like to try to find a source that can help me out by giving a parts list as well as atleast some basic steps of what has to be done

thanks guys
matthew

Get All The Parts Ready To Install And Ask Your Questions Hear.
There Are Plenty Of Guys Will To Talk You Through It.

Matt,before You Get Started Your Looking At Between
$1500.00 And $2000.00 To Do This Swap.
Not Including Your Labor.

have all/most of the parts already...just need to buy clutch,shifter, bushing, make or buy floor hump and scattershield...more concerned with how the swap actually goes

hey 340sixpack thanks for the link im going to give it a read...seems pretty good

Welder needed to put on the frame reinforcement bracket in the fender

As far as cost goes, it really depends on how much time you have to gather the stuff. Or what just falls from the sky
Now this might be a little less than a typical conversion b/c its for a /6 and it's going to be COMPLETELY custom but if someone has the time to wait it can really save some cash

here is my list of stuff. (DON'T forget about the little things like paint and misc bolts)
So far I've got:
4 speed 87 /6 van trans with shifter- $50 from craigslist
pedals, bell with fork, flywheel, clutch plate, pressure plate, z-bar with rod - $170 from an unnamed member ;)

I still need:
727 yoke - cost unknown
driveshaft shortened/balanced - $70 priced from local driveline place
pilot bearing $5 - from the local parts place
Throwout bearing $30 - from the local parts place
pressure plate bolts
hydro clutch setup - $50 - by the time I get it all figured out (I'm missing the bellhousing z-bar stud.)
Shift rods - cost unknown - probably custom due to shifter location
The floor hump will also be a custom piece because I'm trying to keep the shifter as close to the center of the car as possible.

So maybe $450-550 for the whole setup....BUT... a lot of time getting things ready. and I still need to figure out the wiring for reverse lights and neutral/clutch starter lockout

Matt,before You Get Started Your Looking At Between
$1500.00 And $2000.00 To Do This Swap.
Not Including Your Labor.

and that's about right if you do it the RIGHT way w/GOOD parts. My total was around 1.8k which included a complete tear down of the trans, a rebuild kit, new 3rd gear, and new cluster gear shaft. Basically started out w/no parts for the swap. I did all the work cept for a friend of mine welded up the floor hump for minimal $$.

Excellent parts sources and advice: www.passonperformance.com and www.brewersperformance.com

ive been pricing out the floor humps and man are they expensive....im thinking of just buying one, making a copy, and then returning it....too much money for a bloody floor hump...as far as condition of the tranny, i may need a rebuild kit...but what i do know for sure is i need a driveshaft, new clutch, scattershield, possible a new flywheel, heavy duty yoke, pilot bushing for crank and the floor hump....most of those peices are aftermarket to put the strength i need behind the tranny, so if i wasnt doing any mods i think i would be able to spend a little less money...either way though its gotta be done...where do you guys suggest i pick up a rebuild kit from for the tranny? i looked and saw that passon has one, but anywhere else worth looking (besides brewers)?

Alright, my 67' valiant was a 6 auto on the colum, it is now a 4 spd.

When the $80 fiber glass hump showed up I simply placed it over the hump where it fit snug enough to center it's self then traced around it with a marker then removed the hump
[don't remove the torsion anchor what ever you do]
and traced a line about 1 1/4 inside the first line , thats the line I cut so that I would still have a flange to mount to.

After the z bar bracket was welded on [center to the factory hole just above the frame] It all pretty much was bolt on and the only thing I had to do was extend the fork rod about an 1 1/2 at the hole as o leave plenty of thread to adjust the clutch.
Then pedals bolted in of corse and don't forget to dial indicate the bell to crank center.

i was looking at those Fibreglass humps, but not sure how they would hold up in my car (daily driver- will be parked outside through rain)...ive done a little reading through the mopar chassis manual about 4 speeds, so its becoming a little clearer...my dad said the install shouldnt be a problem...i just got to gather all the parts....also, anybody know where i can find a quicktime scattershield for cheap?

The hump is the least costly piece. I picked up a new Sherman metal piece from a Moparts member for $70 that was never used. It just had surface rust and a little blasting took care of it. Post ads here and other sites. There are deals out there.

Don't forget the new 4 speed carpet you'll need as it's different w/the floor hump. How bout the shifter ball, handle, boot, boot ring, mechanism and linkage; clutch/PP/throwout bearing/flywheel/bell housing/pilot shaft bearing; torque shaft and all linkage; correct driveshaft and yoke; is your crank drilled deep enough for the trans shaft?

I would do a complete tear down of the trans regardless of the condition the buyer sayz its in.

i have all that stuff that you mentioned...and yes a new carpet was already in order for me so i knew about that....never thought of looking for the humps used- guess i will try that....and yes a rebuild regardless of condition does sound like a good idea

-
Back