Any street 440 build suggestions

-

HankRearden

Reaction score
I'm trying to help out my bull headed brother.
I'm looking for a very streetable 440 recipe with stock bottom end.
Can we hit 1 hp per inch and maybe a little more torque with stock c body low compression eaely 70's 440?

Depending on how “mild”, mild has to be…….you either will or won’t be able to reach 1hp/ci.

A really mild, nearly stock idle type build, utilizing unported factory heads won’t get it done.

The other consideration is the budget.

Plenty of mild pump gas 440 builds dyno tested at Nicks garage on YouTube.

The last one I did(several years ago) was 9.7cr, bowl blended 346’s, comp 280h cam, 6bbl, headers.
Made 424hp/499tq.
That’s a big enough cam to warrant an increase in stall speed, and is better with headers.

No porting, ch4b type intake, smaller cam, no headers……probably end up at 40-50hp less.

Fundamentally, for applications like these, build the engine around how the vehicle will be used.
Come up with a combo of suitable parts for that usage/goal…….and don’t worry about the HP number.

Last edited:
First step would be to up the compression, but if you've gotta stick with the stock bottom end, then get a set of closed-chamber heads (TF or Eddy, maybe a shaved set of 440 Source Stealth heads...) and a Hughes Whiplash cam (kinda favors the low-comp motors).

Continuing on with the CR theme…….

Are the heads off the engine yet?
How far down the hole are the pistons?

I’d determine that as a first step, and make the decision on whether or not that should be/will be addressed.

Continuing on with the CR theme…….

Are the heads off the engine yet?
How far down the hole are the pistons?

I’d determine that as a first step, and make the decision on whether or not that should be/will be addressed.
Not apart yet.
Will post back when I have a measurement.

I would simply blueprint a stone stock 440 Super Commando. Plenty powerful and dead nuts reliable. With headers, a good modern dual plane and a 750dp with a good loose ignition curve and you'd be all over 400HP and idle like a kitten.

If you keep the stock low compression pistons (later 440s were as low as 7.4 to 1), first thing I would do would be closed chamber stealth heads. Even if you change pistons, to get to around 9/9.5 to one, new aftermarket heads would be first on my list. Rings and bearings for the bottom end, and a mild hydraulic cam.
I wouldn't put ten cents into iron heads, (except maybe, if it was a dated number matched motor for a high dollar collector car.)

A buddy built a 440 with a XE275 Comp, Ported 904's with crane roller rockers, a old school CH4B and a 750 Edelbrock. 485 horse and 500 lb/ft.

Keep the cam duration down...

img282.jpg

The build details should be based on the application.
As in, what’s it going in, gears, converter, type of exhaust, intended use, and performance goals.
Of course, I usually tell people to figure out their budget first……..as that’s often the biggest determining factor when it comes to what big ticket items will get the thumbs up or down.

As in, what’s it going in, gears, converter, type of exhaust, intended use, and performance goals.
Of course, I usually tell people to figure out their budget first……..as that’s often the biggest determining factor when it comes to what big ticket items will get the thumbs up or down.
Sorry fir being so vague.
70 superbee. 4speed. His 383 is drinking oil and is gutless.

As in, what’s it going in, gears, converter,
Especially since a lot seem to not want to go too deep in gears and high in stall, I would think if your gonna limit those you should probably build around them and focus more at the rpms your likely to see at road speeds.

You can build all of the HP you want, but without the proper gearing, clutch set up and so forth it my be a total pooch. Just my .02.

Depending on budget, suggest eddie 5090 heads. 75cc chamber compared to 84/85 for stealth and any other ally head in the same money range.

Cam I went with 21-228-4 comp. .545 lift split and 241/247 duration.

Eddie dual plane intake

Very very streetable, boat loads of torque and it revs out nice

the chop is awesome as well.

Even more fun after converting to an A833 over the winter

It's hilarious how you ask people for information on what they're building and they still don't answer you.

I gave my recipe, and explained how it tasted, never dyno’d it so can’t answer his last question

It's hilarious how you ask people for information on what they're building and they still don't answer you.
I gave all the info I have. 70 superbee with 4speedd. Don't know gear ratio. His 383 is junk and I'm trying to convince him that for a hot street car it is more cost effective to hop up a 440 that we already have and already know runs.

Depending on budget, suggest eddie 5090 heads. 75cc chamber compared to 84/85 for stealth and any other ally head in the same money range.

Cam I went with 21-228-4 comp. .545 lift split and 241/247 duration.

Eddie dual plane intake

Very very streetable, boat loads of torque and it revs out nice

the chop is awesome as well.

Even more fun after converting to an A833 over the winter

That’s a really good street beast kind of cam. Obviously needing the proper stall and gears, I run one in my 340. I had Comp narrow up the LSA by 2*’s.

On a he 440, that dual plane will be great. Pop an 800 cfm carb on top and call that good.

That’s a really good street beast kind of cam. Obviously needing the proper stall and gears, I run one in my 340. I had Comp narrow up the LSA by 2*’s.

On a he 440, that dual plane will be great. Pop an 800 cfm carb on top and call that good.

A833 4 speed, and 3:91 gears, it’s a little silly to say the least

A833 4 speed, and 3:91 gears, it’s a little silly to say the least
That I did read and remember but it was the extra stall I mentioned for those that have an auto. Behind my 340 is a 904 w/a 3500 converter. (FWIW)

I do like a third pedal better though.

I would simply blueprint a stone stock 440 Super Commando. Plenty powerful and dead nuts reliable. With headers, a good modern dual plane and a 750dp with a good loose ignition curve and you'd be all over 400HP and idle like a kitten.

AND A SET OF TRICK FLOW HEADS ! More than 440 h.p.

all kidding aside, it goes back to what @PRH said in post #2 "how is it gonna be used"? rip snortin' blvd brawler? low buck big torque unit that'll ripple the pavement? burger cruiser that'll sound cool at idle and put on one hell of a smoke show?

in the "this is excellent category" you have a four cog backing it up and a 8.75, so gears and stall won't be an issue.

in the "well this could be better category" you have a low compression 440. gift horse, teeth, and all that not withstanding.

we all know that the compression is going to be dismal. so without addressing that, big lift and long duration cams are only going to serve in making the bottom end absolutely dog water.

so this is where budget comes into play: do you have the chips to splash the pot on a set of heads that'll eek out some squeeze or the time/inclination/desire/intestinal fortitude to get some slugs in there that'll bring it up to a more reasonable and workable compression ratio?

if the answer is yes, to either of those, this changes the path forward considerably.

if the answer is no, then give the heads a skim and pocket port, throw a dual plane on it with a 750, stab in an RV cam with matching springs and ship it. it'll probably make like 375/425 and be all over by 4800, but you'll look good doing it.

equip it with 3.55's and act accordingly.
(and be sure to save up for tires)

Blueprinted short block and either Edelbrock or Trick Flow top end package. The vendors have made it easy. What's in your wallet.

-
Back