Anybody else have 67 B'cuda Formula S with 7 1/4?

-

Woodys_Cuda

Ontario, Canada
Reaction score
I'm a little confused here. I thought I had a Formula S car, but it has a small rear? Everything looks original, but rusty. I just decoded the VIN
Vehicle Identification Number: bh29e###########Vehicle Model: BarracudaVehicle
Class: High Price Class (Valiant Signet, Belvedere II, Barracuda)
Vehicle Body Style: 2 Door Sports Hardtop
Vehicle Engine: 273 CID/235 HP 4 BBL V8
Vehicle Year: 1967Vehicle Assembly Plant: Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USAAssembly Sequence Number: 223527

Is it an auto ? I could see chrysler sneaking a 7.25 in some auto cars. Not a stick though. I believe 66s used 7.25s also.

My 67 4 speed car had a 8.75" in it.

I really dont know. I'm wodering if that is one of the rare 7&1/4 suregrip units though. Good luck

Thanks guys... It's an auto. It has all the other "S" goodies, but motor has been swapped. I was gonna use it for parts, but looks like I might change my mind.

It's currently in a storage facility, so I can't get more info.

Nope, no fender tag, unfortunately, fenders were rusted to hell. All body parts have the original paint colour, has all tinted glass, badges, and the VIN rivets have not been messed with. I just find it odd they would build up a 318 for it, then switch to a smaller rear end. Never know though.

Anything can happen in 40+ years... Honestly... I always find it more strange that fender tags are so often missing... I mean... It just sits there... It's not something you need to work on...

Does it still have the front sway bar?

Yep. Front sway bar is still there. Once I get the car out of storage I'll go through it better. And yes, fender tag would've been great.

This was the basketcase car I started on, but never finished. I just came across the ownership today, so did the VIN decoding.

Let me tell you a story.....

It's 1974 and Jill is driving her 1967 Formula S.... She starts to hear a noise from the rear so she takes it to the local mechanic...... The mechanic tells Jill she needs the rear end rebuilt... Jill tells the mechanic that with gas prices the way they are she doesn't have much money....

The mechanic says that he may be able to find a used rear that would work and cost much less.... Jill is now happy! She didn't know or care what an 8 3/4 was... The mechanic is now happy... He has a 8 3/4 he can rebuild for his race car.

Like I said.... 40 years is a long time. Who knows.....

Don't know what rear they were supposed to have but it is quite conceivable the standard rear with a 273 (even the commando) was a 7.25. The later A-bodies with 318's (which had more power than the 273 commando) came standard with the 7.25.

Thanks guys..

The 66 D-Dart had the hipo 273 with the 8 3/4

I thought that the "S" cars all got the 8 3/4 , although I could be mistaken. I'm still learning, and looking to see if anybody has the same setup from the factory. I was surpsrised to see a 7 1/4 under the car.

The 7 1/4 was the correct rear up to '66 with all V8s and all transmissions... and they are a bolt in to '67s. Wouldnt surprise me if it was just a left over and they stuck it in on the line. My 66 S 273 4bbl 4sp car had one. The '65 273 2bbl I looked at today has one. The '65 273hp stick in Carlisle had the 3.23 Sure Grip 7 1/4...

Your rear was most likely swapped. Starting in '67, the 7.25 was used in cars with /6 and V8-2 barrel carb motors. I've parted out 2 damaged '67 Formula S cars and both had 8.75 rears.

My 67 formula S came with a 8 3/4, it was a 4 speed car (now a 727) and I bought it new. I don't remember ever seeing a 67 or later S car with anything but a 8 3/4.

in the late 60s i had a65formula s 4spd 7.25 blew 5 till i put in a 8.75 it ran 14.7s consistantly. I think thats a little more hp than any stock 318 was back then

I Have A 67 Fastback 273 Ho 904 And 71/4 323 Rear. I Was Told That
273 Ho With Auto Came With 71/4. I Have The Fender Tag.
Stan

I Have A 67 Fastback 273 Ho 904 And 71/4 323 Rear. I Was Told That
273 Ho With Auto Came With 71/4. I Have The Fender Tag.
Stan

Thanks Stan!

Now the plot thickens.... Okay, I have the 904, & 7 1/4. Thanks for the confirmation. So this combo does exist.

Appreciate the input from all of the members so far.

Here is how it might have happened in the mid 70's

3 siblings 2 older sisters and baby brother all have 67 Barracuda's.

Oldest sister, we will call her Rita has a 67 fastback formula S

younger sister, we will call her Cindy has a 67 coupe, 225/at/ac/ps premium interior

and baby brother has the one run thru a fence with 273 2 barrel

baby brother gets his painted adds the mag wheels

Rita's starts to smoke and needs rebuilt, dad decides to have a 318 installed instead of rebuild

Baby brother tells dad, keep the engine, I will rebuild it and put in my car

Once the engine is rebuilt and put into car with 7 1/4 rear, trans is 1st to break, rebuilt trans and then rear breaks. Trip to junk yard for another 7 1/4 and a week later, broke again.

Baby brother tells Rita that he needs rear end out of her car so not to break it again, sis say's NO WAY, selling the car tomorrow, dad tells daughter, not until he gets the rear end out of it.

So in 1975 my sisters Formula S fastback was sold with a newer 318 and a 7 1/4 rear end and my 67 coupe 273 auto car had a 273 HIPO and 8 3/4 out of a Formula S

Rita's car was a beige with black interior 67 Fastback Formula S with automatic.

Now Cindy's car.........I bought a 67 Formula S coupe that was a 4 speed car. It had 8 3/4 sure grip. I bought it with engine apart due to spun bearing and the guy didn't want to sell it to me until after it got hit in the front by a car out of control on slick streets in the winter in front of his house. So I bought it and since Cindy had totaled her 67 coupe I got all the parts I needed to repair it and bought a 340 and 4 speed out of 72 Duster. I also had the high back buckets and back seat from duster in it.

So if someone has a beige 67 fastback with few options, it might have been my sisters............LOL

Want to know for sure if it is a Formula S, what the rearend was originally, and more?
It will cost you $45.

You can get the build card directly from Chrysler, (aka IBM punchcard). They keep records up to 1967.
The build card was used to make the build sheet and the fender tag, and is apparently the most accurate.
Send them $45 and proof of ownership, VIN,etc.
They will send the build card and a letter.
Here is the website, and an example of the build card (if you get it and need help with the codes let me know):
http://www.chryslerheritage.com

IBM blank 2.jpg

The 67 Formula S fastback I owned in 1970-72 was purchased straight off the car lot when the original owner (a nurse) traded it for a new 70 Mustang. It was box stock, with the 273-4 bbl, 904 Torqueflite, and a 7 1/4 open rear end that I had to eventually rebuild...the howling and clunking noises coming from the rear end was one reason she traded it. 45,000 miles on it when I got it.

Thanks guys! It looks like the mystery is solved about the rearend.

Thanks for the link Matt. It might very well send away for the build card.

Looks like I might also continue repairing the car when I have a few extra bucks.

Yeah, I was gonna say a friend of mine has a 67 fish fastback that was a 273-4bbl auto car that originally had a 7.25 rear.

Gotta remember that the 273-4bbl and the 318 2bbl have almost the same performance...and my car had a 318-2 and the 7.25 as well.

-
Back