Anybody in Houston?

-

moparron

Lurker Member
Reaction score
I am moving to the Houston area very soon.. and am curious if anybody is down there. The bad thing is that I don't get to bring anything down there... since the company will only re-locate one vehicle - yadda yadda yadda. Since the Barracuda was in exploded view (in pieces) it wasn't really able to be transported so it has been sold up here. I am hoping that once I get a house down there I will be able to acquire another car and, yes, start all over again. I don't know if I will be getting another Barracuda or something else.... for some reason a 69 Valiant 2 door post just seems to be pulling at me as my next car! :)

More importantly I am curious as to local clubs, people, etc... Being that Houston is the 4th largest city in the US there has to be something - right??

I still need to sell my Grand Cherokee - as it is too big for a U-haul trailer (go figure?) so I will be only bringing my little daily driver and the wife's car (she will be driving her own car down).

Welcome Ron ,I,m in Rosenberg a little town 30 minutes outside of Houston. Theres 3 dragstrips within a hour of Houston and We have the big track hrp and theres a houston mopar connection club. Diamondback engines is here and theyre a mopar based company that runs the mopower style site. Check it out a lot of locals there.

SAWEET! At least one person down there then! :)

I will be working in Pasadena, then most likely end up in in the cy-Fair office. So looking for a house will be a trick since I don;t know how long I will be in Pasadena I am trying to find something in the middle (sugarland?). I found the perfect little house out by Katy (3bed, 2 bath, attached 2 car garage, detached 2½ garage) but that puts me an hour away from the office assuming that Houston Traffic is as bad as Denver's!

As it looks right now, I should be in the office on 5/17 which is one day shy of 6 months since this transfer started... the date keeps changing, but this date feels more solid as they have answered a lot of the important questions finally. It's going to be a little insane as I still have two cars to sell here... along with the house, and a bunch of stuff that won't fit in a U-Haul (1900 cubic feet and I have 2800 cubic feet of crap). I will be getting an apartment first, as I can't buy a house without seeing it first - ya know? Plus the sale of this house will be only a day or two before I leave. Although I am hoping for a 30 day vacate time... that way I can blow the money on the move! :)

I know a real good house inspector if youre going to be buying. i used him when i bought my house in jan. Katys only 20 mins from me.i work in the cypress area.Our shops at 1960 and jones, cyfair area. as long as youre close to the belt way or westpark toll road you,ll be alright going to stinkadena. EZ tags only way to go for commuters here.

Stinkadena - eh? That's funny we have one of those up here too.... due to the refinery "Commerce City" is known as "Commerce stinky" :)

A good home inspector will be a good person to know! As I do plan on buying something once I get down there.

I understand the EZ pass thing - but I hope the tolls are cheaper than they are here! round trip on C470 from north Denver to south Denver costs $20.. that's $100 a week to commute. No wonder nobody uses the darn road!

I'm a web designer in the Richmond/Rosenberg area. I'm currently working on a 1972 dodge dart and looking for parts in the Houston area. Mainly a rear 489 rearend. If not that, what parts do you have that are up for sale.

OH...I didn't see any 69 Valiant online but I did check our neighborhoods to see what they are selling.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/car/613927168.html
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/car/582517419.html
http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/600590683.html
http://dallas.craigslist.org/pts/592755321.html

-Ray

A 72 dart... Cool!
what sucks is that I included my chunks with the sale of the Barracuda... four of them to be exact.... a 2.76 open, a 3.21 open, a 3.23 open and a 3.23 sure grip - I forget what housings were what though. Also two 2 A-body 8 3/4's and one b body 8 3/4 went with it. Like I said - I will be starting over. As it is my garage can fill a U-haul as it is already.. so I have been lightening that up a lot!
If I get that house out by Katy I will be golden, but any other house with a standard 2 car garage I will be cramped as my current garage has 900 sq feet with a 400 sq foot attic making the total square footage in the garage bigger than the house (which I am okay with!)

I think I do know where a 69 Barracuda is....I'm seen in Richmond and I know where there is a 73 Barracuda also in Richmond.

Daredevil, you are my new best friend, mainly cuz you are the closest. What are your projects?

Currenly I have two, the Dart and (Sorry Mopar Friends) 1957 2dr Chevy. The Dart is more my baby since my Father gave it to me and its the closest thing to be finished.

-r

HMMMM>....another 69 Barracuda! That would be nice! a 73 Barracuda... unless it's a POS it will be out my range. E-bodies are over priced for my blood. Don't get me wrong I won't turn one down, but I can't justify the $50K they want for a rusted out shell. :)
I definitely want something to tinker with other than the Fiero... sorry Mopar peeps, the Fiero is a fun little car.

If I get a chance this weekend and I have my digital camera on hand...I'm take some snap shops to show you the cars...Both are project cars and the locations.

-r

I live in the Katy area. Thats just west outa Hou. Been here all my life. Havent decided if thats good or bad. Just kiddin. There's two ways to look at where you live around here. You either live right down ths road from where you work, or you git out of town. If I was working in Cy-Fair, I would eather live nearby or go out 290 towards Hempstead. The Cy-Fair area is actually pretty nice for the most part. You can find some nice older homes. Of course there's new construction as well. Hope ya like tall pine trees. The area is full of um. Not to say there's not others, but pines dominate. Its a pretty area. Who ya work for and where is thier office?

I just got on this site a short time ago. I'm in process of restoring a 67 Dart 2 door hardtop. Actually I havent even finished gutting it out yet. Though the body doesnt need much, the car sat for about 12 years in some woods behind a barn with a broken out window. Needless to say the entire interior is trashed. It apparently made a nice home for all kinds of critters. Havent found the 4 foot snake that left its skin behind the front grill yet. Hopefully he was only there for a visit and is long gone.

Anyway, good luck with your move. Let us know when tha boos and beer arrive!!! :drinkers:

Katy? WOO HOO! I have actually found some homes out that way. Actually one of them was a 'dream' home. it had a 2 car attached and a 2½ car detached garage! But it came off the market last week :-( So now I get to look some more. It's not like I am in a huge rush to buy straight away though - I can't buy a house site unseen and I seem to be having problems selling this place all of a sudden!
My dilemma right now is I will be in the Pasadena office, and will most likely end up in our pinemont office - so I am looking sort of in the middle now... like around Alief, Sugarland, etc... but I have no idea how these areas in 'real life'. Want a decent school district for the step-daughter... the meaner and stricter the better. :) I work for DISH Network and will going to our installation division so it's not very likely that anyone would know where the offices are - as they are not generally advertised, at least not up here they aren't.

A 67 Dart 2 door - Saweet! I had a dart 'phase' for a few years... had a '68 GT that I was playing with for a while, until I came across a 70 swinger. I Had to have the swinger and sold the 68 to get it... regretted it since. The 68 was rough looking, but was basically all there and unmolested. The 70 had been basically raped and covered up. I think the data plate was actaully worth more then what was left of the car, and it had 10 pounds of extra weight due to bondo and fiberglass they used to fill in the side of the car where it had been smashed.
Having just sold the 69 Barracuda fastback project I was working on. I am not sure if when I start over I want another one. Yeah, it's cool car... but I think I might want something a little less 'main stream' I sort of like the idea of a 69 Valiant 2 door (but even they seem to be getting more popular!). I might have to go with something other than an A-body (gasp) and look for something like a 64 Savoy, or 330 or something.
There is a 65 Dart 2 door that just showed up in the neighborhood here... that if I wasn't moving I would be knocking on their door and asking about it. It has minimal rust... just some 'spots' on the front fenders and none that I can see in the rear quarters that just cries out 360 transplant to me!

Oh and Y'all can guarantee that I will let you know when I lave here and head down there. Might even have to have a truck unloading get together - BWAHAHAHAHAHA. We are trying to figure out how to get everything crammed into a 26' moving van! The Garage could take up a whole moving van so there is a lot left out there that I have to get rid of. :-(

I live out in La Porte (east of Pasadena on Galveston Bay). There is a lot of stuff going on around us we have a group of Mopars that regularly get together for cruises etc. Every Saturday night there is a big cruise to Kemah when you get here you should come check it out.

Cool - I am hoping that there is more of a Mopar presence down there than there is up here! Oh wait, we have a few clubs up here - but they all seem to be on a God complex about one thing or another! Okay, maybe a God complex is a little harsh... one is all about the E-body and high dollar cars.. if you have a project that you are working on.. they don't have the time of day for you,. If you have a 3 million dollar barrett jackoff car you are their best friend. The other club is more about the stock cars but is sort of run by one fellow that has a mass of parts to sell to the other members. So maybe - they both have messed up political agendas? :)
Opps.. sorry... looks like I am trying to climb up on a soapbox this morning!

Daredevil, you are my new best friend, mainly cuz you are the closest. What are your projects?

Currenly I have two, the Dart and (Sorry Mopar Friends) 1957 2dr Chevy. The Dart is more my baby since my Father gave it to me and its the closest thing to be finished.

-r
Right now i,m working on a 66 Coronet with a 500 ci stroker and when i,m done i,ll start on my wifes 69 barracuda

so I am looking sort of in the middle now... like around Alief, Sugarland, etc... but I have no idea how these areas in 'real life'. Want a decent school district for the step-daughter... the meaner and stricter the better.
You do not want to live in Alief. Sugarland YES, but just about anywhere besides Alief and parts of Bellaire. I strongly suggest you reconsider your search. Memorial, YES. Katy, YES. Mission Bend, NO. Cypress, YES. Cyfair, YES. Pacon Grove, YES. and there's many others. You need to come see for yourself. Been here all my life and would be more than happy to show you around. YOU BUY THA GAS and pay tha tolls!!! LOL.

Good luck.

Robert

That's EXACTLY what I need to know! What about Sam Houston & fort Bend toll road area? Found a what looks to be a nice house in that area... Just south of the Sam Houston and East of the Fort Bend toll road.

I have noticed that there as many toll roads in the Houston area as there in the north east! We have one here in Denver that nobody uses because they keep raising the toll.. it basically costs 25 cents a mile to drive on it. Could be more depending on which parts you use... you can get on (pay 50 cents) hit a toll station ($2) and get off ( another 50 cents) and spent $3 to go a friggin mile and a half!

That's EXACTLY what I need to know! What about Sam Houston & fort Bend toll road area? Found a what looks to be a nice house in that area... Just south of the Sam Houston and East of the Fort Bend toll road.

I have noticed that there as many toll roads in the Houston area as there in the north east! We have one here in Denver that nobody uses because they keep raising the toll.. it basically costs 25 cents a mile to drive on it. Could be more depending on which parts you use... you can get on (pay 50 cents) hit a toll station ($2) and get off ( another 50 cents) and spent $3 to go a friggin mile and a half!
I think you've got your dirrections mixed up. The Sam Houston tollway runs north and south in that area where the Fort Bend Tollway runs east and west. From what your discribing, I think your talkind about east of the Sam and south of tha Fort Bend. If so, your kinda gittin into whats considered the Memorial area depending on how far from that intersection your talkin. Cant help ya much on the schools around there other than its Houston I.S.D. You might consider looking in the area north of I-10 and west of tha Sam. Older homes but definately some nice ones. Tha toll roads here can git expencive but It doesnt sound quite as bad as yours. $1.50 per toll plaza and anywhere from 25-75 cents per on/off ramp naturally depending on how far you travel. I dont git on the thing to only go a couple of miles. Not worth it. No matter where you live out this way the drive to Stinkadena is gonna be a *****. I would truely consider putting most of you **** in storage and getting an apartment thats closer untill you transfer to your Pinemont office. Pinemont is off 290. You should look in the Jersey Village area. Just about anywhere out 290 towards Hwy 6//FM 1960 is gonna be O.K. Lots of new construction beyond there.

More later if ya like.

Just so you'll know, and not knowing your race or wanting to ruffle any feathers, most of the Alief and surrounding area is gittin pretty dark to include mexicans, asians and blacks. I'm not particularly pregidest I just prefer to live in a prodominately white area.
I'm sure I'm gonna catch some **** for that one. Wont be tha first time. :bootysha:LOL!!!

Not sure where your lookin but look at the Woodlands, out side of Houston. You wont be disapointed. Spring is also nice from what i remember.

Not sure where your lookin but look at the Woodlands, out side of Houston. You wont be disapointed. Spring is also nice from what i remember.
He's right. Both tha Woodlands and Spring are nice areas. Little farther drive to Pinemont. But then you always have tha Sam Tollway. Copperfield is nice. Its just off 290 about a mile or so down Hwy 6. You dont play golf do ya? Hearthstone is one of many places for that. Not to say you have to play golf to live there. There's new construction out 290 around Fry Rd. and beyond. Do you know how long your gonna be in Stinkadena? Once you move to Pinemont, your not gonna want to commute every day from say Sugarland or even Katy. Since you perminate Pinemont office is Northwest, look out that way for your house. Go rent something down south untill you transfer. How bout a beech house around Kemah? We'll PARTY!!! Seriously, rent as close to your Pas. office as possible and then buy you a house on the Northwest side. No reason to have to drive (or should I say sit) for over an hour in traffic twics a day unless you have to.

Happy hunting!!!

Yeah.. I'm seeing where I was looking at Sugarland// it's 27 miles from the stinadena office, 18 from Katy and 20 from Pinemont. Not to mention I have been warned to stay out of the southwest side of town by many! So what about the Humble area - just east of Spring basically... that puts right in the middle of the two office... so 15-17 miles to each office. I also have to take into account the wife will be looking for a Job once we get there and even though we don't' know where she will be working we don't want her commute to be outrageous either! So we are trying to stay around businesses as well.

Most of what I own will be in storage - as we are going to get an apartment first. I can't buy a home site unseen if ya' know what I mean. especially since I know nothing about the areas.

And Crank-it-up.... no feathers ruffled! I am pretty much the same way.. well just because I guess.

-
Back