Anybody in Houston?

-
I commute everyday from rosenberg to cypress. it takes 50 minutes. I leave` early to beat traffic. Cinco Ranch is a nice area with good schools and its next to the west park tollroad . Nothing wrong with sw side from Sugarland out.From Cinco ranch its only 30 minutes to the track. Lone star raceway.

Ahhh... key words there... from Sugarland OUT... I was looking inside from sugarland to Bellaire!
I know where Cypress is on the map - but no idea where Rosenburg is? My big glitch is that I will be in Pasadena for a while, then in Pinemont if all goes as planned. I thought about renting out in Pasadena then buying something once i transfer - but with the kid I would rather get her lazy butt into a school and leave her there for the most part. I guess unless the district just sux more than the schools up here (which is hard to do).

I'm in LaPorte also like it here right near city hall so I can do eaxactly what I want as for a shop but the area is quite and always a nice breeze off the bay.

Humble is good. Real close to tha SanJacinto River and Lake Houston. Not one of our larger or nicer lakes but a lake just tha same. You'll probobly think it looks more like a big muddy pond compaired to tha clear water your accustom to. Best be gittin used to it if you like lakes or tha beech. No melted ice and snow runnin over rocks down here. Dig a big hole in tha dirt and fill it with water. TaaDaa ......... Lake. LOL!!!

OH my! You have been fooled by the beer commercials! Most of our 'streams' are only really flowing once a year and that lasts three weeks - at that time you don't want to be anywhere near them! They are violent enough that the streams are brown, muddy and fast.

I'm okay with muddy water holes....not that I am an avid beach goer - since I have been land locked for many years.

OH my! You have been fooled by the beer commercials! Most of our 'streams' are only really flowing once a year and that lasts three weeks - at that time you don't want to be anywhere near them! They are violent enough that the streams are brown, muddy and fast.

I'm okay with muddy water holes....not that I am an avid beach goer - since I have been land locked for many years.
Naaaa, thier not really that bad. Some of um clear up real nice if we dont git any rain for a while. Gotta admit tha nicest ones are up in tha hill country generally around Austin and vacinity. There's numerous lakes spread out in all directions from there. Lots of rock up through that area. Its perdy!!! We hope to retire up that way. (I guess we all have our own dreams) I've been to colorfull Colorado. I've seen some of your small lakes and streams/rivers. Hope this is right ..... Ole Habor Lake, Mirror Lake, even rode the Old Durango mine train. Beautiful places!!! So I aint buyin your muddy stream story. Saw too many during the summer that were crystal clear. And Cold too!!! We're talkin instant shrinkage here. LOL.
Wow, are you in for a change. Summers at 95+* and 85+ humidity. Winters arent much different. One day its near freezing and tha next your back in shorts again. We dont do winter clothes down here. Jeans and a jacket is about all you'll need. Hope you got your last look at snow. Forgit about it!!! We git our little cold snaps down here when tha jet stream gits pushed down this way but they dont last. Mostly just passing fronts. Did I mention rain? Yeah, Yall git snow, we git rain. Yall ride snowmobiles in pretty white snow, we ride ATVs in tha brown mud. Yall winterize your boats for several months, we dont even know what winterizing is. Thats when ours run tha fastest. Every year we (a little group of outboard river racers) have one of our biggest local boat meets/races (The Winter Nationals) in January on tha SanJacinto River just below the Lake Houston dam. (Its not exactly an advertised sanctioned event. More like street racin in boats.) So come on down with your bad self. There's always something to do.

L8R!!!

I commute everyday from rosenberg to cypress. it takes 50 minutes. I leave` early to beat traffic. Cinco Ranch is a nice area with good schools and its next to the west park tollroad . Nothing wrong with sw side from Sugarland out.From Cinco ranch its only 30 minutes to the track. Lone star raceway.
Cinco is in tha Katy area right down tha road from me. So is Kellywood, Notingham, and several others. This is a nice area but there's others northwest and north that are just as nice. Katy does have one of the best school district though. But then just about any of um that arent Houston ISD are usually pretty good. I'll ask my sister where her kids went and how it was. She lives in tha west/northwest side. Ya know, without tryin to pry or butt into your business or finantial status, it would help us to know how much your lookin to spend on a house. That would either open neighborhoods for ya, or pretty much rule um out. You prefer new construction, 5-10 years old, more? Throw us a bone here!!! :grommit: LOL.

HAHAHA.. instant shrinkage... that ain't no lie! I do have to say Colorado does have the anomaly of water being 10 degrees and still liquid! It's that down hill movement it makes or something. Okay so it's not really 10 degrees it just feels like it. And yes.. some of the streams are pretty clear due to the amount of rock we have....But during June the rivers coming out of the mountains are pretty muddy since the snowmelt gets those rivers running pretty hard. You can run down I-70 on the western slope and watch debris past you.... you're running 70 MPH and watching tree branches pass you! But again - that's for three weeks usually in June. Other than that they are pretty calm and normal.

Since this transfer has been going on for six... count 'em SIX months I have actually been watching the weather down there.. and yes, it does seem that y'all (I've been practicing :) ) get rain about twice a week. And in reality - your Humidity has been on par or less than we have had?? I know it ain't summer yet - and it will be similar to Orlando in the Summer where it's 95*/95% so I do know I will be walking into a wet sticky hell during the summer. Snow - well that's one reason I want out of here! :) I was raised just outside of Tucson, AZ so the heat isn't a big deal .... the humidity will take making an adjustment, but no where near as much as the snow has been for me! Granted - the wife will have a shock... no mountains to look at and no snow. She has never been more then 25 miles from Boulder - so it will be a shock for her.

As for housing - well how much I spent depends on where I buy... the higher the tax rate the lower the price of the house :) I know, I know no state income tax... but 3.4% property tax? Even with the homestead discount on a 100K house that's an extra $225 a month.. just for the property tax! Since we are coming down with only one of us working - two big car payments, and paying for our lifestyle here we are looking at 125K and down. But if the cost of living is really less than here - then our price point may go up?

The wife may have a position with Nokia .... don't know yet. and of course we don;t even know where they are. we assume it will be on the other side of Houston form where I am working - just because that's how it seems to work! If we get an apartment in Humble and go to buy a house up there... she will work east of Katy, if we go to the Sugarland/Missouri City area then she will get a job up by Humble! :)

So my Apartment hunting guy is asking what I think of the Pearland area?? So y'all what do I think about that?
mopwr2004a - you live near there, what are your thoughts?

Okay - so I may have found an apartment - need to know how the area is! :) It's in the area of the 610 (north loop) and 59 (eastex freeway) the actual address is 6767 Bennington , Houston , TX 77028 in case what I 'know' is wrong again! :)

NO SIR! you do not want to move there Moparron! Not a good area at all! NOT AT ALL!Losts of DRUGS,And everything that goes along with them!You would need to go about 25 miles North on 59 from that location before you get in a good area! Which would be the Humble Area! If you have any questions about Areas around houston let me now and I can inform you on the areas! and if they are worth living there! You may e mail me at [email protected] and I will be more than happy to assist.

Sorry Ron I did not intend to misspell my e mail address or any other words! I am a bad speller,seems my Brain or what little of it I have left goes 10 mph and my fingers go 90 mph! LOL which causes MUCH CONFUSION in my SPELLING! that should have been [email protected] But I see what you were thinking maybe! When my Daughter read the post she had a BIG LAUGH! So She went running to tell her Mom and now they are making fun of my spelling! Guess I am going to have to take some spelling classes! LOL

Ron if that would keep the Spammers away I would certainly change it.LOL
also let me know if you find anything on those web sites I e mailed to you,hopefully they will be of some benefit.And If I can do anything to help just let me know. Also I was talking with my daughter and she suggested that I tell you that you might want to look for an apartment over in the Laporte area which would cut your commute time down a BUNCH! Not to mention the $$$ you would save on fuel and the traffic headaches. Then you could be looking for a Home to purchase in the Northwest area if that is where you want to go to. And that sounded like a good idea to me. There are even some other areas out that way that are very nice also, just something you might want to think about. From the Northwest part of Houston out off 290 and jones road area it is approx 25 to 30 miles to the Pasadena area and if you found something around Laporte you are looking at about 5 to 10 miles and very minimum traffic time!

Bobby

First, you forgot to budgit all tha trips back to Boulder your wife is gonna be makin. LOL!!! Second, $125 is gonna limit where you can search for a house. On average I would say the nicer neighborhoods are runnin in the $160s plus plus plus. In the neighborhood I live in the lower priced homes are about where you wanna be and up to around $160. Needless to say this isnt one of your upper class neighborhoods but there not bad. Older but still not bad. Lets call it blue coller. My daughter and her husband are buying a new 3 bedroom home for about $140. That seems to be tha way to go. Why buy a 30 year old home when you can buy new for the same $$$ or less. You can find plenty of new construction in every dirrection. Do a search for new home builders in or around Houston. Check out where thier currently biulding, floor plans and prices. No matter where you end up, I hope your acustom to having neighborhood restrictions. The only way to git away from those are to live outa town in a more country type area. Good luck on that one. Land is pretty high but you could try up north beyond Humble or northwest in the Hempstead area. In my opinion that would be highly recomended. Screw all these homeowner restrictions!!! Those people piss me off on a regular basis. Plus you gotta pay um. :bootysha:

OOPS, gotta go. More later.

Oh I'm not looking for a pish-posh neighborhood... just someplace that is decent and safe for the family. Personally I have never been one to get along with people that have a pool, two boats, a Porsche and a beemer! :) But want something more than the house with a 76 camaro up ion blocks for the last five years because the glasspacks overheated the transmission! :)

I would prefer to stay away from a gestapo (I mean HOA) run community - I have received enough tickets for my grass being 1/4" too tall in my life. But I have noticed that EVERY community has fees in the Houston area.... friggin Commies!

good to see theres some more members around sw houston. im in richmond across from the ymca we guys need to get together sometime.. did any of you happenn to go to the SPRING FLING? about 2 weekends ago?i had my car in there and won best late unfinished.

Ut,Oh, so what about more than 2 boats, a 4-Runner and a 91 Club Wagon??? LOL. Did I mention I work for a pool company??? LMAO!!! I have some ideas on some older neighborhoods that from what I've seen seem to be a little more relaxed as far as the HOA crap. No they dont have cars up on blocks either. Your just gonna have to go house shoppin when you git here. This is too big a place to try and pinpoint tha neighborhoods that might have what your lookin for. Still think a house on a lot out of town is tha way to go. You really aughta consider out 290 towards Hempstead. Start looking north of Hockley towards Magnolia and east of there towards Tomball and of course west to Hempstead. That covers a pretty big area. It may be a little more of a drive but well worth the pease and quiet. Let alone the absence of an HOA. You will however need to look into the schools out there. I honestly dont know much about um. As far as the area goes, I think you'd like it. Lots of trees and not so flat. Tha land starts rolling a bit out that way. I'd move out that way myself if I could. Granted that Hempstead itself is about 30 miles from Pinemont, traffic isnt as bad once you git out of town. I'd rather drive 45 minutes on open highway than sit in traffic for tha same. Like I said befor, either git out of town or live as close to your job as possible and with todays gas prices, that might not be such a bad idea. We're gittin close to $3.40 a gal for regular now. :bootysha: Damn good thing I have a company truck and gas card.

L8R!!!

My brother lives in Spring, just off Stubener-Airline Rd. on the north edge of Houston, and I get down there occasionally. There is a very nice car show done annually in Old Town Spring. They close off several streets downtown where all the shops and restaurants are located. It's usually hotter 'n blue blazes in the summer, though.

Jerry

Yea but if you get there early you can park under a big shade tree and watch pretty ladies go by all day long! Good eats around to be had,cold beer or three,a comfortable lawn chair and then a little nap! Makes for a real nice day of fun!

good to see theres some more members around sw houston. im in richmond across from the ymca we guys need to get together sometime.. did any of you happenn to go to the SPRING FLING? about 2 weekends ago?i had my car in there and won best late unfinished.
Was my bud terry out there with the super bee convertible clone. there is no such thing xcept for his. Thats the KC hall shindig right. Years ago my daughter won the piston ring toss there. lol

I wouldnt want to drive in on 290n in the morning. Its backed up at 6 oclock
I live in Hempstead about 45 minutes out 290 (On a Sunday!!) towards Austin. Mon. thru Fri it will take you 1.5 to 2! Its really nice and quiet out here. I work in Tomball which might be a place you can check out. Unless you are near Kingwood i would look elsewhere from Eastex Frwy, 59North!

Was my bud terry out there with the super bee convertible clone. there is no such thing xcept for his. Thats the KC hall shindig right. Years ago my daughter won the piston ring toss there. lol
was the clone a lime green color? if so yes ive seen in, another thing. i went to another show in bastrop at fishermans lake. turn out wasn't so good b/c of the early morning weather yesterday. but it turned out to b realy nice

-
Back