Anybody use Scarebird brakes front disc conversion kit?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know there have been posts related to this before, but i want to know directly who uses the scarebird front disc conversion on their a-bodies and what they think of them....i emailed scarebird with no response yet, so just wanted to get some opinions on their stuff....from what i understand, the $105 just gets you an adapter and you still have to buy rotors, calipers, and master cylinder? what size are the celebrity rotors and what is the bolt pattern? anyways, if you guys could let me know that would be great since im in need of a cheap safe front disc conversion8)

I've been waiting a couple of weeks for info on the rear disc conversions. As far as the pattern goes, I can tell you you'll have to redrill them for the 5X4" pattern, which is what I'll be doing. Size? I don't know. But they are supposed to fit inside factory wheels. They "let" you get the rest of the parts from wherever you want, so you can get the cheapest price possible.

My uncle put some Scarebird disc brake adapters on his 1971 Dart Swinger. He got the kit that uses the 10" drum brake spindles, redrilled the rotors for 5 on 4 pattern, used all the parts thet told him to use. He is very happy and said they work great, install was easy! He is also able to use his stock 14" rallye rims. I want to do the same conversion on the 1970 Dart we own and ditch those drum brakes! :toothy10:

Picture 348.jpg

I have been using them for almost 2 years now with out a problem. I bought new rotors calipers and a master cylinder with the adaptors and still have less than $250 in the whole swap. The only regret I have is not drilling out my hubs for the 4.5 bolt patern before I did the conversion , other wise I am happy as can be and hope to do the rears next year

Here is an article I did on the conversion on my car

http://moparsa2z.com/web/how_to/scarebird.htm

i also did the front 10" conversion and bought all the
other parts at the local NAPA store. i had a machine shop
do my rotor drilling and hub fitment. i run 14' rallye's..
stops straight and way better than the drum stuff.

I've been waiting a couple of weeks for info on the rear disc conversions. As far as the pattern goes, I can tell you you'll have to redrill them for the 5X4" pattern, which is what I'll be doing. Size? I don't know. But they are supposed to fit inside factory wheels. They "let" you get the rest of the parts from wherever you want, so you can get the cheapest price possible.

What info do you need? I just did the rear disk conversion.

Take a look.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=20153&page=2

Well, the first thing I was wondering about was if there was an E brake with the rear conversion. I spoke to fcm42000 on the phone tonight. He said that he had a minor issue with one of the bolts rubbing on (I think he said) the caliper. He also said he didn't know if the O.E. E brake cables would work with the conversion.

So, since the guy at scarebird hasn't responded....is there more than one kit for an 8.75 rear? Did you have any mounting problems? What did you do about the E brake cable? Any issues with what the instructions said and what is real life?

Bunch of questions, but I'm sure others will want to know as well.

Thanks

The only thing I haven't done yet was the E brake. As far as the conversion itself it was pretty simple. Everything was pretty much bolted right together. The only thing that requires any type of machining as per the instructions was the center hub on the axles. They are bigger than the rotor and requires it to be machined for to fit. Instead of machining the axle I had the center of the rotors machined instead. The only reason I haven't installed my rear yet is because I have some frame rot right next to rear spring hanger and want to address that before I install it. The conversion requires 79-85 Cadillac Eldorado calipers because they have the e brake built it to the caliper and uses (if I remember correctly) 86 Lincoln rear rotors.

I'm still debating on whether or not to get the front disk brake adapters or convert it over to 73 up disk brakes. The thing is that for the price to switch over to a 73 up disk brake set up I think is cheaper than going with the scarebird conversion. Either way I going from small bolt to big bolt pattern.

Outlaw did a excellent write up on the conversion a while back.

-
Back