Anyone been to Germany? Worth going?

-
France isn't that bad. I made an effort to speak French and was welcomed in like of the children. Making an effort goes a looooong way.

Germany is very nice, don't break the rules and have fun.

Oktoberfest is great in Munich. 1 Liter beers, people from all over the world. It is quite crowded but was way worth it.

FD4457B5-6573-4A97-954E-169DE28ADFF7.jpeg

I would certainly recommend the trip. I've been there three times and hope to go again. So much to see and experience. My wife and I are like you and enjoy our own little space being introverts but travel is downright fun and most places in Europe are good with Germany highly recommended. Get on that plane!!

YES YES YES. GO GO GO. I am a retired Air Force officer. I live in Germany from 81-84. It was wonderful. The people were so friendly. We were near Frankfurt. We used to go on little day tripe and drive on back roads to visit smaller towns. Most of them had a brewery, and we frequently stopped. We practiced our German, and they practiced their English. Beer samples were almost always given, and beer glasses with their logo were often given. Then we would find a small restaurant in a small town and have an amazing meal. Make sure you go to Bavaria.

The wife and I just got back from Poland visiting the son and daughter in law for Christmas and New Years. The airfare was our gift from them and we stayed in their home. They live just outside of Poznan Poland. We made two day trips over to a few of the old towns in Germany to visit the Christmas markets and see the architecture of the centuries old churches. We had a great time since our son knows his way around. A lot of the traditional food we had was great compared to the supposed Polish and German food here in the states. It was a once in a lifetime trip for the wife and I. If I could afford the airfare, we would make a trip over to see them in the late spring or early summer. I say GO FOR IT, you won't regret it.

Was there a dozen or so years ago. Crazy people on the Autobahn.

Ya' might try a castle tour. This picture from the foot bridge leading to Neuschwanstein Castle. Kind of a long uphill walk if you dare.......

1673329368831.png

1673329691282.png

BTW, they frown on taking pictures inside.........

1673331670092.png

I did buy a small clock from a shop in Munich...........

1673330588257.png

Headed across the pond myself in march to Germany. Work related and am ecstatic about going and gaining additional knowledge on some of our equipment however not so much excited about leaving my own soil. But as it gets closer I may get more excited about the trip. There will be a stop-gap working and I will have at least one weekend to do as I please.....

JW

You could go to Wacken Open Air, probably the biggest Heavy Metal concert in the world. :lol: You better leave the wife at the kids place. Just joking, if I had my choice of where to go, Germany would be number 1. GO!! GO!! GO!!

So here's the deal. We have a god-daughter who is a Major in the Army, lives in Germany, not sure what town. She and her military husband, and kids live off base.
She has offered to buy our plane tickets to Germany, and we would be staying with them when there. Maybe a week, but probably two.

My wife is dead set on going, me not so much, but she wants an answer so plane tickets could be purchased.
I on the on the other hand, really have no desire to ever leave the U.S.A

She will be quite upset if I say NO, and she will go on her own, but she's already guilt tripping about making her navigate the airports and such by her self. She is 70 so ya know.

So i guess I need a little convincing, am I missing the opportunity of a life time by not going? Or any reasons to NOT go?
Our hosts are much younger and I expect they will want to be on the go all the time, showing us around, maybe visiting neighboring countries.
But at our ages 63 and 70, I think all this running around is going to be too much for us.

Nah, totally not worth going...

1673338376180.png

1673338274212.png

NOT my experience. Have you chatted with @French demon ? Good guy right there :thumbsup:
have you met in in france or only spoken to him on here?

i have been to france on several dozens of occasions and the way most of em are, is not very welcoming, especially if you dont speak conversational french
you, as a canuck wouldnt happen to be fluent in french would you?

You're right, diymirage. France is full of jerks. Even in the highest spheres of government. :rolleyes:
But, the jerk is universal. I've seen a lot of them all around the world, and I visited four continents

Please, excuse me for my clumsy english, but as you can see, I try to write in english. Are you able to correctly line up three words in French?
I think that Troy (CFD244), the "canuck", is able to.
The jerk is not always the one you think
Without rancor, buddy
Francois

Last edited:
I was stationed in Brussels and southern Holland in the 78 to 82 period. During that time we had at least 5 visits from family groups and everyone had a blast. People are still talking about those visits and claiming they were one of the highlights of their life. Go with an open mind and you will have a blast!!

My son just returned from Germany, last week. He went over to visit his son, who is touring the continent while on break from school in Scotland. My son really enjoyed it. Staying in hostels, and doing the tour on the cheap.

have you met in in france or only spoken to him on here?

i have been to france on several dozens of occasions and the way most of em are, is not very welcoming, especially if you dont speak conversational french
you, as a canuck wouldnt happen to be fluent in french would you?
On line communication, and no I don't speak french (wish I did). We do have Quebec here in Canada, and I have always enjoy my visits there.

On line communication, and no I don't speak french (wish I did). We do have Quebec here in Canada, and I have always enjoy my visits there.

Hi Troy, my friend. How are you? :)
I've read somewhere that Ontario is a bilingual province. Isn't it? Or maybe only in some areas?

diymirage is right : I'm a true jerk. I don't know how to clean my PM box :rofl:

EDIT : it's ok now. PM inbox cleaned

You're right, diymirage. France is full of jerks. Even in the highest spheres of government. :rolleyes:
But, the jerk is universal. I've seen a lot of them all around the world, and I visited four continents

Please, excuse me for my clumsy english, but as you can see, I try to write in english. Are you able to correctly line up three words in French?
I think that Troy (CFD244), the "canuck", is able to.
The jerk is not always the one you think
Without rancor, buddy
Francois

well, i took two years of french in high school but my attitude towards schooling wasnt the best, and to be honest, my french teacher was, can you guess?
yep, a jerk
(une grande jerk, to be exact)

so and since this was two decades ago, and i have since picked up quite a bit of spanish (which, as you know is also a romantic language, all but one french word had been lost from my memory

what is that one remaining word you as?

Oublier

true story, and therefor all the more funny (though i am sure the humor was lost to most of our members here.

now, you mention that you attempt to speak english on this forum, and off course i applaud that, but do not presume that means english is my native tongue, it is not.

now, to address the elephant in the room, i do not mean to say that you, as a singular frenchman are a jerk
but i will say that the french, as a people, have a reputation for being jerks, not being accommodating to tourist and being very nationalistic

just one bit of anecdotal evidence, when me and my wife were first dating, she had also learned french in highschool, and she wanted to try her hand at conversational french with some native speakers
so as a gung ho boyfriend i loaded up my old opel and took her for a long weekend to paris

the trip was awesome

the interaction with the locals was not
they were, in our estimation, jerks

so the next time we went to the french speaking part of belgium, and you know what?
she loved it, the people were just so much warmer

so, based on my experience, the french have a deserved reputation, but then again, to the best of my knowledge, i never met you, did i, mon ami?

I was stationed in Brussels and southern Holland in the 78 to 82 period. During that time we had at least 5 visits from family groups and everyone had a blast. People are still talking about those visits and claiming they were one of the highlights of their life. Go with an open mind and you will have a blast!!

wheres about in the Netherlands were you stationed?

Stationed in Berlin 79-82. Ran recon along the wall for the three years. There’s a lot of WWII history as well as Cold War now that it’s all one city. Spent a lot of time down in West Germany. Lots of history there as well. Don't need a car. Take the Euro Rail.

E44AF498-8A8D-407F-9E44-265A5B8C200B.jpeg

0F7B1C28-36A2-4BF0-BAEC-EBE47DB23E4C.jpeg

-
Back